MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted this shop and they wont put anything in but the same crappy 2000 mr2 motor in because "Smog regulations"
He kept saying "Its going to cost a lot of money ????????????????
Really? because I thought he was my personal slave and did it for free.

Im in 96052 and the car drives but I don't want to work on the 2000 1zzz any longer.

Several other shops are amazed because "Toyota motors are the best" and "you don't need no motor swap" "I can get anything" "I can do anything"
But they never get back to me.

So why would a 2005 mr2 motor not pass smog if installed in a 2000?:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::confused::confused::confused:

Its starting to appear that owning a pre 2000 mr2 its a requirement you be a real mechanic because "Is that one of them thar mid engine jobbers" and the conversation falls flat and they wont finish the quote.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm not in Cali nor have had to deal with smog regulations

If you're just wanting a newer 1zz from a spyder in there, then it should easily pass any smog regulations. If you put a 1zz from another car in the spyder and put your valve cover garnish on with the factory exhaust manifold, the only way a smog shop would be able to tell is from the vin plate on the engine, which is pretty hard to see with all the factory stuff in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice.

Disclaimer, I am an idiot with cars.

If I just put a 2003.5 to 2005 MR2 then there is no modding, no expensive and dodgy possibilities like it not working and it will pass smog?

thanks~

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
This is not really a motor swap. You are just asking for an engine replacement. It's the same engine just a newer year. Motor swap means an engine from a different car and that may be confusing the mechanics.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, and getting a 2003.5 to 2005 might be hard or a long time looking?
On ebay they dont say the year at all they say "Fits 2000 to 2005" when I email they dont respond.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am also in NorCal. My knowledge of the system is limited, but here's how I think it works, as far as I can gather from the DMV site:
1) Make sure your area has mandatory smog testing. I assume based on the fact that you posted at all, that it does.
2) You must put in a same age or newer engine than your car, and use all of the emissions equipment from that engine's OEM application in your car. In practice, that usually means you need to find a donor car, because I don't think most engines are sold with the emissions systems.
3) Once you've done that, you get your swapped vehicle inspected by an official referee, and if you pass, you're issued a new VIN as if this is a different car. You still need to pass smog, but I'm told that this is fairly easy if your donor car also passed smog.

Here's some info I found: http://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

Finally, there is a shop in the Bay Area, kind of far from you, who suggested that they'd be able to do a CA-legal 2ZZ swap for me given a donor car. I never went back to nail down the details, but they're called Toy Auto Clinic. http://www.toyautoclinic.com

·
Registered
927 Posts
When swapping in the 'new' engine, use all the sensors, wiring, ECU, manifolds, covers, hoses ETC from the old engine. You are only replacing the block and head, with the oil pan, valve cover and front cover attached - plus getting the flywheel resurfaced is a good idea. Everything else you use from the spyder. This will make the swap exactly like the original - the engine will run just like the old one (before it started having issues). You will not have any smog issues this way, as all the emissions and engine control equipment remains factory original. I would gut the pre-cats though, and replace all the seals on the replacement engine and the water pump.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I have done smog legal 2zz swaps in the past. You need to use a Matrix or Celica USDM engine. No JDM engines. The engine must have the VIN place still on the block so the car and year can be verified. The engine must be the same year or newer as the car. You can not use a swap header. You have to use the exhaust manifold that came with the engine, meaning you have to use the Celica or Matrix exhaust manifodl then build a mid pipe to connect that to the stock Spyder cat. You can use the stock spyder air intake box but you will have to heat and stretch the tube over the 2zz throttle body.

If just replacing a 1zz then it's same engine. The same year or newer does not apply to an engine replacement. You can put an older exactly same engine in the spyder. Meaning you can legally use a 2001 1zz in the 2003 because the engines are identical dealer part numbers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
three or 4 calls for estimates and no one has called me back and one flat out stalled the deal by saying "Really really expensive if I can find the time might take months"
:barbershop_quartet_

i did find one guy who would take it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
three or 4 calls for estimates and no one has called me back and one flat out stalled the deal by saying "Really really expensive if I can find the time might take months"
:barbershop_quartet_

i did find one guy who would take it.

Honestly not that hard of a job, just lots of little steps and time. Took me a full weekend to do it the first time. Second time I was done by 1pm on Sunday. Finding the best motor could take awhile though. I spent several months looking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Motor Swap in NorCal ; San Jose Area

I contacted this shop and they wont put anything in but the same crappy 2000 mr2 motor in because "Smog regulations"
He kept saying "Its going to cost a lot of money ????????????????
Really? because I thought he was my personal slave and did it for free.
So why would a 2005 mr2 motor not pass smog if installed in a 2000?:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::confused::confused::confused:

I put an almost identical 1ZZFE motor from a junked (rear-ended at 27k mi) Canadian Front Wheel Drive 2007 Matrix ($1055 incl shipping) in my 2001 all-stock Spyder (after finding piston arm sticking out the oil pan!) with no issues that couldn't be solved by grabbing RWD-specific parts from the old motor (such as the shafts!). Also put in a nice rebuilt 6-speed MR2 tranny from MonkeyWrench Racing ($2152 incl shipping) 2 years later after I hadn't realized the original tranny got damaged (teeth?) when the stock motor froze. The mechanic, Soo, who builds racing MR2s as a specialty, also knocked out the guts in the pre-cats so they wouldn't destroy the new motor. It passed Calif. 'Star' Smog soon after the switch (2013), no problem, but emissions were high-normal.
Soo told me exactly what to get that would fit and last longer than the poorly-built early (2000-2001) motors and trannys, and he knew every little idiosyncrasy of the older and newer MR2s. The Labor (only) for engine swap (2011) was around $1200 + fluids ($90?) and tranny Labor was $555 (2013).

Soo is in Santa Clara, California, right near San Jose Int'l airport: Aggressive Performance 408-988-1247 (one man shop; takes about 1 to 2 weeks after parts arrive for anything major to be done).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Getting Engine Swap Quotes is Often Difficult- here's Why

three or 4 calls for estimates and no one has called me back and one flat out stalled the deal by saying "Really really expensive if I can find the time might take months" --i did find one guy who would take it.
I had a hard time getting estimates, too, when trying to replace the engine. The mechanics said that they hate doing engine replacements on low-mileage cars since the driver would probably just blow up the new engine again, and they, as mechanics, have to warrantee the work. They wanted nothing to do with it.

I am a preppy-looking middle-aged mom, usually showing up to talk to the mechanics in my BMW sedan or Prius, and don't look like someone who'd take my little Runabout drifting or anything... so I was somewhat put back by their responses. I finally found a mechanic who was used to building up MR2s for racing, and he made sure the replacement was better than the original (especially after he met my son!).

Son (now 26, is borrowing my 2001 MR2 while his 2000 BMW Coupe slowly gets rebuilt) is happy with the new 6-speed limited-slip tranny, too, which cost me a few hundred more than a rebuilt crappy 5-speed. Nice overdrive on the highway when he drives the 7-12 hours down to L.A. or San Diego, and improved gas mileage. Downside is that Reverse, 1st, and 3rd gear are very close next to each other in the 6-speed, and VERY easy to mix up at stop lights! If I haven't driven the MR2 for awhile, I need to do a slight 'test roll' at red lights to make sure I am in 1st so I don't lug the motor nor nail the car behind me when it is time to go. :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so can any kind person tell me is the motor worth rebuilding?
can it just be rings or something?

I already gutted the cats and the car has lots of torq and HP and scoots but stinks bad like oil

COUGH

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have two motors sitting in my garage, and I wonder the same thing. Looks like the Matrix guys have a replace the rings video and got good results out of it. Seems inexpensive way to fix the issue, but I don't know about the longevity of it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does any one have a good decoder for the serial number on the motors?
"Engine Serial Number: 1ZZ-1299138"

This guy has really good feedback and my local mechanic said he has put in 30 japan motors and they all went perfect.

JDM Alliance LLC.
575 S. International Rd, Suite 400
Garland, TX 75042 USA

Phone: 972.494.4900 Toll Free: 855.484.4900
www.JDMAllianceUSA.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts