MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my radio to be able to pick up calls just like my 2017 prius.
When im in the prius people cant tell im in the car cause the call quality is good.
In the Mr2 they say its not loud enough and sometimes they even hear their own voice echo.

Is there such a thing as a High Quality Mic?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mic quality & location matter a lot, having a wind sock over the mic also helps. Many ppl opt for their mic to be on the stationary part steering column trim. Make sure the volume of the mic is turned up high. Some mics are noise canceling but they cancel out voices from too far away as well.And of course, in the words of Kevin Hart...you may just have to speak up and SAY IT WITH YOUR CHEST

All said & done acoustics in a soft top convertible suck. I'd rather snub the call, then pull over and return it as even with the top up all they're really gonna hear is the sound of intake & exhaust. The one thing that improves quality a lot is using earbuds with a mic on them...it just puts the mic in the best location, unfortunately also a bit of a hassle to set up every time.

Reactions: 2zzmr2

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I actually experimented with some dynamic mics in the car to see if I could get good recording sound. Form is right, if the acoustics suck it doesn't matter how much sound rejection or noise cancellation you use. I even tried using a shotgun mic with gate processing, but it's too small of an enclosed area.

A cheap mic closer to your mouth is the best way to get decent audio. If you try to turn your gain up it will just increase noise. You will never get clean audio unless you have Benz-like quiet interior. I mount my mic in the hole where the sunshade used to be and try to speak inches from it.

If the caller doesn't want to hear their own feedback the best solution is a single earbud.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I put mine inside the little 'coin holder' beside the steering column with the thought it would be a bit lower and out of wind buffering zone during top down motoring. It seems to work really well.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
^ The best option is the simple option you said (Earbud with the mic attached to it). Hardtop does very well to keep noise out. Hardtop basically makes everything about this car better 10/10 recommend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts