MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2002 Spyder has always had a shake but it seems to be getting worse so looking for ideas before I take it to the shop. Shaking seems to be in the vertical not a horizontal movement.

Symptoms:

1) Slow acceleration I get shaking in the front end.
2) Fast acceleration some shaking but not as noticeable.
3) Highway driving shaking can get very noticeable, but flattens out at around 80mph
4) No noticeable shaking going around corners
5) No shaking under braking
6) Car track straight hands off on the highway, even as the car is shaking.
7) No back and forth shimmy in the steering wheel, just a shaking feeling

I am thinking this might be a tire balance issue but the fact the shaking goes away in a turn or under braking has me not thinking that. I ruled out alignment since the car tracks straight.

So any ideas?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
My 2002 Spyder has always had a shake but it seems to be getting worse so looking for ideas before I take it to the shop.

Symptoms:

1) Slow acceleration I get shaking in the front end.
2) Fast acceleration some shaking but not as noticeable.
3) Highway driving shaking can get very noticeable, but flattens out at around 80mph
4) No noticeable shaking going around corners
5) No shaking under braking
6) Car track straight hands off on the highway, even as the car is shaking.

I am thinking this might be a tire balance issue but the fact the shaking goes away in a turn or under braking has me not thinking that. I ruled out alignment since the car tracks straight.

So any ideas?
Check Wheel Balancing
Check Wheel Bearings
Check TieRods

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
good tread, wheel balancing, good alignment

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
First thing I would check is tire balance or bad wear. Then check everything underneath for tightness, bolts, joints, bearings, bushing, etc. If you have more than 50k on OEM struts maybe a change would be for the good. I didn't get much on the bounce test but wanted better struts anyway so I changed to koni's. If nothing else shows bad it might be a case of cowl shake which some bracing might help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well last night the shaking was worse so I stopped by the tire shop to setup an appointment for this weekend to get new rear tires since I figured one of those might be out of balance. It turned out I had worn the rear passenger tire down to the tread in one spot :eek:

So spyder is at home waiting for this weekend I will update if the new rear tires and alignment solves the problem.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Well last night the shaking was worse so I stopped by the tire shop to setup an appointment for this weekend to get new rear tires since I figured one of those might be out of balance. It turned out I had worn the rear passenger tire down to the tread in one spot :eek:

So spyder is at home waiting for this weekend I will update if the new rear tires and alignment solves the problem.
That was my experience. Shaking was getting worse and worse. I finally took a glance at the front tires...BOTH worn down to the cords!# With a new set of S-drives the car is perfectly smooth, plus the road noise reduced a huge amount.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That was my experience. Shaking was getting worse and worse. I finally took a glance at the front tires...BOTH worn down to the cords!# With a new set of S-drives the car is perfectly smooth, plus the road noise reduced a huge amount.

FYI, new tires hides/masks suspension issues. That is one way a used car dealer can sucker you into buying a car with bad suspension bits.

Still check you balljoints/tie rods/wheel bearings. Not a hard thing to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well new tires and a four wheel alignment and all shakes are gone, car drives like a dream.

But I will will be checking all the ball joints etc.... just to cover all my bases.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.