MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering TSX or Lexus IS. I spend a lot of time doing 0 on the freeway and I'd like to find an automatic for those situations. Targetting upscale cars like the above - probably will keep it mostly stock. Anyone have experience with a TSX? I'm on the IS forum and they have a great following, but if I am not going to mod it heavily I am not sure if pursuing the IS is worth the extra $ over the TSX, all else equal. Any input/stories appreciated - thanks!

Wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe that we use for Dog, so cargo is not an issue.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
I'm considering TSX or Lexus IS. I spend a lot of time doing 0 on the freeway and I'd like to find an automatic for those situations. Targetting upscale cars like the above - probably will keep it mostly stock. Anyone have experience with a TSX? I'm on the IS forum and they have a great following, but if I am not going to mod it heavily I am not sure if pursuing the IS is worth the extra $ over the TSX, all else equal. Any input/stories appreciated - thanks!

Wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe that we use for Dog, so cargo is not an issue.
I have a Is350 and last month I purchased a new 2012 TSX special edition.

I think the TSX is similar in performance to a IS250. The IS350 does everything better than a TSX performance wise. The IS is RWD, 50/50 weight ration, has better brakes, LSD, and looks better. But then again these cars are not really peformance cars. They are daily drivers than are meant to give a comfortable ride and look great.

Options such as radar guided cruise control and Air conditioned seats are not available on the TSX. But you pay for those options with a higher retail price on the IS350.

The TSX is a nice car for the money. My TSX is a K24 with 6-speed. It drives great but it's still FWD and heavy so not really a true performane car. The TSX does get slightly better gas mileage than 350. I bought the tsx because the IS350 has a small back seat and it was hard to put a rear facing seat in the lexus. It fits fine in the TSX.

I personally think the IS350 is one of the best cars I have owned even over an E46 M3. It has the perfect blend of performance and luxury for a daily cuiser.

On a side note my IS350 will spank a TSX in any performance test. That's why the wife drives the TSX.:lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
No experience with these but always loved the IS. Don't like the newer Acuras, they seem to have lost that edge they use to have.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I do not own either cars, but I have driven both of them. I can tell you that the IS does feel very cramp for a medium size sedan. I TSX is like a cushed-up Civic, with a little more power. Although, I would say that the luxurious quality of the IS is superior to the TSX.

Have you looked at the ILX?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I do have a question. Are you looking for new or used?

If so, the TSX is a nice, well equipped car that will get > 30 mpg in general. The 1st gen (2004 to 2008 model years) TSX cars are basically European Accords, and have non electric power steering, which is present on the newer TSX / TL cars ( after 2009 model year). The electro hydraulic PS is thought to lack on center feel, but I haven't driven one, so I can't comment on that. I have a 2006 Acura TL with a 3.2 liter engine that gets 25 mpg pverall, it rides very well, is very comfortable (not cramped at all), and on a long highway cruise at 65 mph, will get 33 mpg.

I can't comment on the IS cars, but have heard they are somewhat cramped.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
The IS interior feels more like a sports car. The seats are thicker because they are full leather, heated and have air bags. They also have wider bolsters on the side for a more sports feel.

The front driver/passenger seat room is about the same in both cars. The TSX has more rear seat room.

The TSX I have does not get over 28mpg combined. I dont' think the car will ever get over 30mpg city+hwy with what we consider normal driving.

Our IS350 gets about 20mpg combined.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not own either cars, but I have driven both of them. I can tell you that the IS does feel very cramp for a medium size sedan. I TSX is like a cushed-up Civic, with a little more power. Although, I would say that the luxurious quality of the IS is superior to the TSX.

Have you looked at the ILX?
The reviews weren't over impressive on that - and as erdoc is getting at I'm going for 2005-2008 most likely, so I don't see picking that over a tsx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mom got a 2012 is 250 for Xmas. Forgot to mention the awd and 6 speed were added bonuses. I've driven it a lot and love it, but I've also spent some rides in the backseat...

Can anyone comment on maintenance/reliability on either? Thanks all for great info.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
I test drove the ILX. The low 150hp version. The car actually handles and brakes better than the TSX. I test drove them back to back on the same road. The ILX is much lighter than the TSX and you can feel it in the handling. However the ILX version I drove lacked power and was very slow in a straight line. The higher hp version would be better. The ILX is also close to the IS in options than the TSX. The technology has been updated since the TSX. The ILX will replace the TSX after this year.

The only maintenance I have done the IS350 have been regular schedules stuff right from the owners manual. We drive that car hard going through a set of summer tires every 10-12 months. Going on 80K miles the car has been completely reliable. This is how all Toyotas should be built.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I still have my 2000 Spyder, but I use an IS350 as my DD now.
My 35 min daily commute was mostly highway and mostly in a straight line so driving the Spyder was a bit silly. It does get better mileage than the IS though (26mpg vs. 22mpg combined). A good part of the commute was spent in traffic so I wanted more comfort, better sound, all the great stuff that a Lexus has and an MR2 doesn't. With the 3.5L engine you also have better power and torque so it pretty much outclasses the Spyder on every aspect except handling and driver involvement. I did change the exhaust on my IS to a Tanabe catback because the stock sound was too quiet for me. (I have a Team Moon dualie on my Spyder).

For the passengers in front the ride and luxury is hard to beat. The back seat is definitely less roomy than the typical competitors like G-sedan and 3-series, and the Acura. For what it's worth my brother bought a TSX and while it was nice and refined, I found it kind of uninspiring and conservative. The Lexus while not a sport car, has sporting pretensions and seems a better fit when transitioning from a Spyder.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I think you need to clarify on what you're looking for specifically.
TSX is fwd and IS is RWD. So I can only guess that you don't care.
Price range is I'm assuming between TSX and IS.
You want a 4 seater sedan but with a touch of sport.

I personally cannot recommend TSX and IS.
IS because it's bound for an upgrade since Lexus is on a roll with the new GS and ES.
Plus, it's too wallowy. The only "sport" you'll find is in acceleration alone with the IS350.
The TSX looks like it's way too overpriced for the interior quality you get.
Sure, you get loads of technology like anti-noise and such, but I personally prioritize those second to interior quality.

I would try to find a deal on G37 or TL.
Although they're a bit pricey, they're totally worth it.

P.S. If you just wanted comfort and reliability, it's would be difficult to beat Lexus.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you need to clarify on what you're looking for specifically.
TSX is fwd and IS is RWD. So I can only guess that you don't care.
Price range is I'm assuming between TSX and IS.
You want a 4 seater sedan but with a touch of sport.

Correct

I personally cannot recommend TSX and IS.
IS because it's bound for an upgrade since Lexus is on a roll with the new GS and ES.
Plus, it's too wallowy. The only "sport" you'll find is in acceleration alone with the IS350.
The TSX looks like it's way too overpriced for the interior quality you get.
Sure, you get loads of technology like anti-noise and such, but I personally prioritize those second to interior quality.

To me, this is a positive if buying used, as it will drive down prices, and I am not considering ES or GS
I would try to find a deal on G37 or TL.
Although they're a bit pricey, they're totally worth it.

Agree on G37 but that is more engine than I need for this purpose
P.S. If you just wanted comfort and reliability, it's would be difficult to beat Lexus.
Correct and agreed, my goal was to find out if the TSX was underrated or the IS had some glaring weaknesses that I was missing.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
One more thing:

G37 is a great car, but as a 3.7 L engine, its gas mileage won't be so great (18-23 mpg).

The TL is a great pick, is roomy, will get you decent mileage, and with proper maintenance can be a 200-300 thousand mile car if you do great distances. Plus, you can get a 2006 model for about $16-17k with moderate mileage on it. There's lots of them available, they come fully equipped (the only options are a 6 speed manual and navigation), so you get a nice ride at a great price. If I ever lost mine in a collision, I'd probably go out and get the same car.

The 04-08 TSX models are more like an Accord (which isn't a bad thing) but can run a little on the pricey side even used. The TSX is a nice car, just a bit smaller.

For more info on the Acuras, check out www.acurazine.com and see the tabs at the top. Click on the TSX link and the TL link ( for the TL, you'd be looking at a 3rd generation TL).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pontiac G8.
It has a great motor, RWD, nice interior, parts are cheap, rides smooth and they can make you smile while driving them.
We considered buying one a while back.
They did a great job with that for what they were going for, but I don't think that's a comparable car for this class...I like the styling on the Challenger over the G8 - the G8 was ahead of the muscle car revival movement and was a victim of being first to market IMHO

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more thing:

G37 is a great car, but as a 3.7 L engine, its gas mileage won't be so great (18-23 mpg).

The TL is a great pick, is roomy, will get you decent mileage, and with proper maintenance can be a 200-300 thousand mile car if you do great distances. Plus, you can get a 2006 model for about $16-17k with moderate mileage on it. There's lots of them available, they come fully equipped (the only options are a 6 speed manual and navigation), so you get a nice ride at a great price. If I ever lost mine in a collision, I'd probably go out and get the same car.

The 04-08 TSX models are more like an Accord (which isn't a bad thing) but can run a little on the pricey side even used. The TSX is a nice car, just a bit smaller.

For more info on the Acuras, check out www.acurazine.com and see the tabs at the top. Click on the TSX link and the TL link ( for the TL, you'd be looking at a 3rd generation TL).
My thoughts exactly - when I was shopping for my last car which ended up being the 2, I looked at g37 or 350z convertible as a compromise, but the price points were too high. I can't really justify having that big an engine on my daily driver at this point.

My dad bought a new 2003 TL back in the day (last year of that gen) and the suspension and steering is floaty and loose - great car for him but it handles and rides like a Mastercraft. It definitely isn't a polished Accord and the pricing makes for a good argument, but I just don't need something that big keeping in mind my wife's SUV.

·
Registered
264 Posts
my wife had her December to rememberadar

AND.....I really like this car, a Lexus ES350, an executive lease vehicle, fully loaded, 12k miles, 3 years old, NYGiants blue, metallic, with dove grey leather interior, lights follow steering, speed control radar, mirrors dip to reverse etc. Fully loaded, a great car, we took it on the road for two weeks, 30 MPG regardless of speed.
I see them at exec auctions with 110 k add warranty.
Get the 3.2 six speed trans bulletproof, best motor comb in the business, I have friends who have this combo with over 400k no problem!

NOT A SPORTS CAR, but still gets 30 a gallon.
Will not spell a martini in the center console

·
Registered
614 Posts
The IS350 is a good car but they are hard to come by in the used market. I can't say much about them on how they feel to drive.

The TSX some of my family have them and love them. They are peppy little cars and handle surprisingly well for a fwd car. For such an unassuming car you find yourself speeding more then you would notice. They lack the low end grunt but love to rev.

Might I throw in a nice BMW into the ring. I wouldn't endorse the 3 series range unless it's the new 335 edition. Even that has fuel pump issues. Look out for a nice 5 series. Amazing cars and not super expensive in the used car market depending on year and engine size. What I noticed while driving a v8 bmw you never feel the sense of waiting for more power at any point. I daily a 645 very comfortable, decent handling, could fit people I don't like the back seats, and more trunk capacity then the moon it seems. MPG well it sucks really, really, really, bad but who cares when you are having fun. The bad with BMW, mpg sucks, radiators fail, and brakes cost more then god at the dealer.

·
Banned
415 Posts
The IS350 is a good car but they are hard to come by in the used market. I can't say much about them on how they feel to drive.

The TSX some of my family have them and love them. They are peppy little cars and handle surprisingly well for a fwd car. For such an unassuming car you find yourself speeding more then you would notice. They lack the low end grunt but love to rev.

Might I throw in a nice BMW into the ring. I wouldn't endorse the 3 series range unless it's the new 335 edition. Even that has fuel pump issues. Look out for a nice 5 series. Amazing cars and not super expensive in the used car market depending on year and engine size. What I noticed while driving a v8 bmw you never feel the sense of waiting for more power at any point. I daily a 645 very comfortable, decent handling, could fit people I don't like the back seats, and more trunk capacity then the moon it seems. MPG well it sucks really, really, really, bad but who cares when you are having fun. The bad with BMW, mpg sucks, radiators fail, and brakes cost more then god at the dealer.
Of course when it comes to sporty sedans, there's always the 3 series.
The only problem is that they are too expensive lest you find a good deal used.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really don't want to entertain a non-warranty German vehicle...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.