MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2zz 6spd
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! Looking to see if this issue has cropped up for folks in here before. I have a 2zz swapped 2001.
Only within the last month, and only 5 times total, my car has just suddenly stopped running. It has happened while coasting typically. There's no sudden noise or jolt or loss of feeling in steering. The engine just stops and since the key is in the ignition position, all the lights that are typically on are on.
It's happened during a short drive, about 15 minutes into it. And of the other times, I was driving from place to place for about 4 hours, stoping every about 45 minutes.
I can't figure out a reason why. I'm going to get my coils replaced soon and that could be the issue as I have a p0 303 and other cylinders randomly throwing codes.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
... The engine just stops and since the key is in the ignition position, all the lights that are typically on are on...
Is this while the engine is still freewheeling, or after you put the clutch in?

Most likely just a bad electrical connection. Inspect first. Separate all connectors, look for evidence, clean, check spring tension, and reconnect.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
This could be the failsafe behavior for ignition coil confirmation. The ECU expects a confirmation signal IGF from each coil. If it does not get it, it shuts down via fuel cut, as a failsafe. This is a documented behavior, you can read about it in the factory service manual. Normally it would occur on P1300, P1305, P1310, P1315.

·
Registered
2001 2zz 6spd
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this while the engine is still freewheeling, or after you put the clutch in?

Most likely just a bad electrical connection. Inspect first. Separate all connectors, look for evidence, clean, check spring tension, and reconnect.
It might happen when I put the clutch in, admittedly didn't think of that before and it happened in perfect circumstances, not at a stoplight or when merging and or putting any real power down.

No codes have displayed that have a 1 in the first digit, only a P0xx.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Probably not your issue, but my 2005 Civic did that a couple of times. I think it was a bad crank position sensor or cam angle sensor. This was right before I started doing my own wrenching, so I didn't repair myself. But the engine would just die while driving and would start right back up.

·
Registered
2001 2zz 6spd
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably not your issue, but my 2005 Civic did that a couple of times. I think it was a bad crank position sensor or cam angle sensor. This was right before I started doing my own wrenching, so I didn't repair myself. But the engine would just die while driving and would start right back up.
Yea, I haven't had any issues with it starting or cranking too, even right after this issue happens.

·
Registered
2001 2zz 6spd
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check fuel pump/line? I had this happen in a Nissan. Would start and drive fine then suddenly just cut out.
Hmmm I do have a new fuel pump and filter and like entire assembly actually. I might want to look into that but it's a bit of a hassle to do all that work with the infrequency of how the issue happens.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had similar problem. Every 20min of driving, engine did shutt down. But sooner before that, the engine started to not having ignition (none engine response when pushing the throttle pedal). My problem was bad new OEM Ignition Coil Pack . I replaced them by Toyota Genuine Part and it's fine now.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Clean your IAC. It might be sticking, and not moving fast enough

Cap

Reactions: RedMercs2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts