MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks the the previous owner deleted the last cat and I can't get it smogged!

So I'm wondering is there a performance upgrade I could do since I have to replace the cat? Maybe a port back replacement?

Do I need to have the precats installed for smog? My mechanic suggested I get everything from Toyota, but that sounds expensive.

Mv

·
Registered
183 Posts
When you buy a car in California, it's incumbent on the seller to ensure it passes emissions testing (as I understand it, by law).

Having said that, from a practical point of view, people often, myself included, will negotiate a lower price by taking ownership of the emissions test.

There are several replacement aftermarket cats these days, do your research and make sure it's 50 state certified (certified for California) before opening your wallet wide and buying a replacement main cat.

Without the Toyota pre-cat exhaust manifold in place, with it's tell tale factory 'bulges', it will fail the visual inspection part of the Emissions test in the state of California.

I can tell you from experience, that the pre-cat ceramic, known for breaking down and crumbling, then getting sucked into the exhaust ports, does not need to be in place to pass stringent SF Bay Area California emissions testing.

My rear end puckers when I think about buying both from Toyota. If it it were me, I'd look at buying both used from a private party

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You can get a header that has mounting tabs for the stock heat shields, and it will look like a stock system. Then if you install a decent downstream catalyst, the third O2 sensor will read that the catalyst is OK, and in fact you will be low -emissions after the catalyst warms up. Warm up takes longer without the pre-cats, so you won't technically be legal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can get a header that has mounting tabs for the stock heat shields, and it will look like a stock system. Then if you install a decent downstream catalyst, the third O2 sensor will read that the catalyst is OK, and in fact you will be low -emissions after the catalyst warms up. Warm up takes longer without the pre-cats, so you won't technically be legal.
Does that header have provisions for the upstream O2's? I think the ECU needs to see the signal from them to keep the CEL from lighting up

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you buy a car in California, it's incumbent on the seller to ensure it passes emissions testing (as I understand it, by law).

Having said that, from a practical point of view, people often, myself included, will negotiate a lower price by taking ownership of the emissions test.

There are several replacement aftermarket cats these days, do your research and make sure it's 50 state certified (certified for California) before opening your wallet wide and buying a replacement main cat.

Without the Toyota pre-cat exhaust manifold in place, with it's tell tale factory 'bulges', it will fail the visual inspection part of the Emissions test in the state of California.

I can tell you from experience, that the pre-cat ceramic, known for breaking down and crumbling, then getting sucked into the exhaust ports, does not need to be in place to pass stringent SF Bay Area California emissions testing.

My rear end puckers when I think about buying both from Toyota. If it it were me, I'd look at buying both used from a private party
i saved the car from copart (vandalism) so they didnt have to worry about emissions :D

the precats have been gutted, i should probably get a head shield to look the part

tbh the toyota cat is the least expensive of them all ive found so far. im hoping that maybe i can find a stock cat for cheap. im not sure if the magna flow is worth 900 dollars

1 - 10 of 10 Posts