MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the MR2 world, but enjoying it. Not a fan of the convertible top. Trying to find an OEM hardtop, but wondering about pros and cons vs a carbon fiber hardtop. Anyone have advice they can offer? Any good or bad experiences with either one? I’ve never seen either with my own eyes and the investment is not insignificant.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have minimal experience with an OEM hardtop, and no firsthand experience with any aftermarket. OEM fits like.... OEM. Can't go wrong there if you are willing to cough up the cash for it. Only major complaint I've read about aftermarket more than once was regarding the VIS hardtop... Supposedly the resin used doesn't do so well long term in full sun in a high heat area. Some have recommended painting it to avoid this issue. I'm selling to bet new aftermarket+paint would equal or exceed the cost of an OEM.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I’ve read that aftermarket tops don’t come with finished interior, just bare composite. Also no rear glass. And no rear defroster, and poor top-to-body rubber seals.
A factory hardtop (so far) holds its value. They can be sold separately if/when you sell your car. I got mine repainted to change color for $300.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Here’s Mike V’s site for the OEM tops:

What he sells includes the shipping as well as a hard top fitting kit- well worth the money and you can always get it repainted. I too have read a lot of less than stellar reviews on the CF top- OEM all the way as others have said.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much, greatly appreciated. I've contacted FullSpeedTech and hopefully will get that top on its way to America soon.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have the OEM Hardtop and have been in a couple Spyders with the VIS CF Top.

VIS costs less but is incomplete. They do not come with an OEM window or window heater. I'm not sure if you can even buy the OEM glass separately. People who want a window will usually fabricate one from acrylic or poly-carbonate. You need to add mid-latches or omit them completely and use belts to hold it down. There is no liner on the inside as far as I remember.

The only reason to go this route is weight savings for a track car. If you can find a CF hardtop with all of the fixin's attached, it may be worth it but I say you save for the OEM.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Much as it pains me to say...the CF hard top does lack any upholstery or sound deadening. It also did wear and start to peel rather quickly. I honestly don't remember if the glass shipped with the hard top but it has the heated window and connecting point, (which I didn't bother plugging in).

I was actually kind of disappointed (style wise), as I like the clean appearance of a plexiglass or lexan window, without the horizontal lines running across... minor discrepancy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Original 2
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing