MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its on sale right now for $33 which includes 5 Quarts of castrol syntec + fram tough guard filter ( i bought an OEM instead hearing that fram oil filters are crap). no mail in rebates :)

So i stocked up and got 10 quarts before the sale ends

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the tip! I need to go by PepBoys to pick up some scoops, "Euro" wipers, and some carbon fiber stickers anyway:lol:

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Thanks for the notice. I've been paying almost $9 a bottle:angry:
I say stock up now otherwise it's going to be over $14 a bottle this summer.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea. Thats why i stocked up now... with raising gas prices... im sure oil will go up also by summer :(

·
Banned
415 Posts
Since when pepboys and advanceauto started carrying german castrol?
Just couple of months ago, it was only sold by Autozone.
Either case, I'm trying Liquimoly next from Napa.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both of the autozones here DONT carry it.

Weird..
autozone and O reilly dont carry it around here in SoCal i think. best bet is pepboys. they usually carry it at every store (at least the ones ive been too)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks Pelinors714 for the update.

I picked up 5qts and a K&N filter for $35!! They were out of Fram oil filter so I asked if I could get the K&N instead! I wasn't going to use the Fram anyway.

From reading on SC, many members use that oil for 5K miles but with what filter?

I have always used either K&N or Mobile one filter with 5W30 synthetic Edge for 3000miles intervals so I have doubts that either of those two filters would last for 5K!!

The question is, do you use OEM filter or k&N/mobile1 for the 5K interval?

Engine is 04 Vibe 2zz.

Thank you
Rasheed

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use the OEM filter for the 2zz (have a 1ZZ) it fits and is slightly larger. I use a 1 year 10K interval using GC. The reason I do this is because I have tested the oil using blackstone labs. I now only test every couple of years. as for filters on a 1zz (no idea on a 2zz) you can change the filter without changing the oil it is mounted vertically under the engine and is easy to unscrew and replace at whatever milage you think is best. 5K 3K....

over changing is a waste if your oil can handle an extended drain. you should test the oil at 5 and then 8k to see how it holds up in your car. then decide when to change it.

K&N is a good filter (expensive). the nut thing is cool and temping. IIRC someone cut a bunch of them up. the K&N was good but the OEM was really the best one of the lot as I remember it.
Thanks T-bone.

Yes, I remember that "study" where someone tested few different oil filters and I believe that the result was OEM was proven to be the best one.

I didn't know that I could replace the oil filter without changing the oil as I have never done that! It is good to know.

I will go for 5K with an OEM filter for this coming up oil change and see what Blackstone has to say..

Thank you again
Rasheed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts