MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2000 Spyder, with a 2zz swap done by the previus owner. I have been getting a CEL that has been coming and going, but now it has been staying on and i've noticed that my it has been idleing pretty rough and burning more gas than normal. The spyder already had all the basic bolt ons when i got it (headers, intake, exhaust). My dad said it probably had something to do with the fact that the headers delete one of my 02 sensors. I don't really know much about all this, but i think if it was that then the light would have been on the whole time and not coming and going like it has. I don't remember the code it is giving exactly, but it says bank 1 sensor too lean. I already cleaned the MAF, and bought a new gas cap to make sure it was sealing properly. Any ideas as to why the CEL is on?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure exactly what the code was, but i know it was bank 1 sensor 1 too lean.
I will rerun it tomorrow and get the exact code.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
a 2zz swap done by the previus owner..... I have been getting a CEL that has been coming and going......... The spyder already had all the basic bolt ons when i got it (headers, intake, exhaust)......... bank 1 sensor too lean. I already cleaned the MAF,
LIKELY the Intake is too big.. Or an Intake Leak..

Figure out what size the Intake is.. 2.5 is too small, and 2.75 is too big.. Depends on your fuel pressure as to what intake it will really like..

Cap

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
2ZZs only have one o2 sensor before the cat unlike the 1ZZ so that is not the problem.

If you got a lean code then the car most likely went into limp mode and is now dumping fuel so that you don't burn up the motor and that is the reason for bad gas millage.

What you should be looking for now is un metered air entering the system past the MAF sensor.

1. Check all vacuum tubes
2. Air intake connection

What you can do is spray some carb cleaner around the intake track and vacuum lines and if the idle goes up then you found your leak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay that makes sense! The intake is quite big. 3 inches I believe but I'm not positive. And ill definetly try the carb cleaner thing tomorrow! Thanks for the help so far you guys. Any other help is greatly appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts