MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done this and can point me in the right DIY thread?

I was thinking of messing around with these since I am going to replace the mr2 lights with new ones.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy the wiring conversion to change my 00 headlights to the new 03+ ones.
Thanks!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
553 Posts
They have good output. There are hid forums out there with pics. But I don't have them on my car. I was planning on doing this to my Prius.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Go to HIDplanet and spend some time searching there.

Bi-xenon may be wonderful, but the issue I have is on the twisties at night. I need cornering lights. If you look at the high beam pattern in that animation, I need a big patch of light centered right where the high beam ends. At some point I'm going to ditch the fog lights on both my cars and replace them with Hella 90mm modules with the sheild removed. There are also bi-halogen units but they are a bit more than 2X the price. I'll aim them at the point mentioned above and I should be good....though, aiming any headlight in that direction is technically illegal on a public road.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hella 90mm is good but not great. It sounds like all you really need are a set of good fog lights vs a custom setup. The only way to get light to cover the areas that are unlit when you turn is to get a wide beam fog or to aim those 90mm off to the side which will look kinda weird and illegal. Or create an auto turning headlight system like high end cars

Might I suggest Hella Micro DE series fogs?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Go to HIDplanet and spend some time searching there.

Bi-xenon may be wonderful, but the issue I have is on the twisties at night. I need cornering lights. If you look at the high beam pattern in that animation, I need a big patch of light centered right where the high beam ends. At some point I'm going to ditch the fog lights on both my cars and replace them with Hella 90mm modules with the sheild removed. There are also bi-halogen units but they are a bit more than 2X the price. I'll aim them at the point mentioned above and I should be good....though, aiming any headlight in that direction is technically illegal on a public road.
good point!
I was wondering if anyone has attempted these so called competition lights as shown on this site.
http://www.clearcorners.com/tech/001/

I'm just trying to get more lighting.. If I possible I would like to stay with the stock 00 headlight. I don't want to put HIDs in these because I also don't want to blind everyone with glare. I could go with fog lights but I don't want to look like rice with obvious aftermarket lights attached to my front bumper. If I were to go fogs then I would have to get the new 03+ bumper that has slots to fit the fogs.

Hella 90mm is good but not great. It sounds like all you really need are a set of good fog lights vs a custom setup. The only way to get light to cover the areas that are unlit when you turn is to get a wide beam fog or to aim those 90mm off to the side which will look kinda weird and illegal. Or create an auto turning headlight system like high end cars

Might I suggest Hella Micro DE series fogs?

Where would I put these..

·
Registered
553 Posts
The Micro DE was a suggestion to Joe but you can do them as well. I was Planning on installing them where you marked. I believe that's where the factory lOcation was.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the inquiry and patience waiting on a response.

For your MR2, the easiest projector to install with the best output would be the Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon D2S. This kit uses a standard D2S HID bulb available at your local luxury car dealer should you need an emergency replacement. It also requires no drilling or cutting on your headlights for the projector install, in fact, we have install guides on our tech page to give some insight: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php

If you are comfortable and proficient getting your hands really dirty with a more-involved installation, there are many more options there, such as the Morimoto FX-R or an OEM
projector.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237

The Mini D2S Stage III Kit includes:

Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-Xenon Projectors
Morimoto 3Five D2S Ballast
Morimoto 3Five D2S Bulbs
Shrouds of your choice
H4 Relay Harness (to fit an '00 MR2l)

and runs $295 including shipping.

You have choices with this kit. Everyone loves choices!

Bulbs: 4300k, 5000k, 6000k temperatures. 4300k looks like sunlight, 5000k looks like fluorescent lighting, and 6000k is slightly blue in color. 4300k is the brightest (per lumen count), and as you progress into more color you lose usable light. Morimoto bulbs offer approximately 90% of the quality of the Philips bulbs at less than half the cost. Philips bulbs come only in 35w and 4300k, maintain their color for a longer period of time, and are OEM bulbs for a lot of factory HID setups. A visual guide is attached

Shrouds: There are many options here. Dimensions are provided on the particular shroud's item page and should be checked against your headlight for fitment. It is not atypical for a shroud to need to be modified to fit correctly into the headlight housing and generally the trimming isn't visible when the headlights are installed. Larger housings generally look best with larger shrouds such as the Apollo, Orbit, Gatling Gun, Gatling Gun 2, or MC-R. Smaller housings generally look best with E46-R or E46-R extended. Even having a chrome finish on these shrouds, they can be painted.

To give you a visual of what this setup looks like, here are some links for you to our customer-supplied gallery:

Mini D2S Output: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=225

If you think of any technical or sales questions simply reply to this email or give us a call at 404-220-7940 and we'll be glad to help!

All the best,

Andrew @ TRS

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
It also requires no drilling or cutting on your headlights for the projector install
Of course, this statement can only be possible on 00-02 headlights. Even then, I don't like the fact he's speaking in certainties unless he's seen it done on our particular headlights.

As for the pictures you posted, the one where the car was maroon I believe was a 100% custom retrofit...with no high beam IIRC. Beyond the obviousl, I have no idea what's going with the lights when the car was white.

·
Registered
553 Posts
From what I can tell no cutting is required. The size of our reflector is large enough to accept the projector and shroud. By reviewing pics of comPleted projects, you should be fine. Just select the proper shroud so you will have min to no trimming of the shroud.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From what I can tell no cutting is required. The size of our reflector is large enough to accept the projector and shroud. By reviewing pics of comPleted projects, you should be fine. Just select the proper shroud so you will have min to no trimming of the shroud.
This might be helpful. I haven't had a question on it in over a year. It doesn't seem like too many people venture into the Library section of the forum.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?41317-HOW-TO-00-02-Spyder-Headlight-Retrofitting-A-Step-by-Step-Guide

·
Registered
553 Posts
The mishimoto projectors do not need drilling. Essentially all you do is oPen the lights, remove the little shield for the h4 bulbs, slide the rear of the projector into the bulb opening, add the locking nuts and mount shroud. Alignment is done via stock alignment screws.

Depending on what size schroud he selects,trimming to the schroud might be necessary.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The mishimoto projectors do not need drilling. Essentially all you do is oPen the lights, remove the little shield for the h4 bulbs, slide the rear of the projector into the bulb opening, add the locking nuts and mount shroud. Alignment is done via stock alignment screws.

Depending on what size schroud he selects,trimming to the schroud might be necessary.
How much this project cost?
thx

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
so we are talking about retrofitting 03 headlights right?
not 00-02 headlight?

Does www.theretrofitsource.com do retrofitting for you if you send them your headlights?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts