MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share some thoughts after changing the gear oil on my 5 speed transmission.

First off, it's super easy! My spyder is currently at 62205 miles so I figured it's time for a fluid change.

First, I verified I could get my fill hole open (speed sensor hole)

Had 1 bolt, 12mm. Used an extension and a breaker and it was off in a sec. The cap is still pressure fit in though. I first rotated it to break it lose then pulled it straight up with some pliers. I could almost do it with just my hands. Looking inside the gear oil was dark. Pic is of after though so yeah haha.

Now that i know I can refill it, I continued on to drain it. 24mm socket for the drain bolt was needed on mine, came loose very easy.

Replaced bolt and filled from the top using a funnel. I used 2 quarts of Amsoil Manual Transaxle full Synthetic GL4. A used car lot in my area stocked in for 18 a quart. Not bad seeing as thats how much amsoil has it for on their site.

I put the car on stands but, really, if you just used 2 stand for the rear and took the drivers rear wheel off you could reach the drain plug with an extension without getting under the car.

Old fluid was black and smelled like burnt gear oil. Was still consistent in it's consistency though and no sludge. Pearing in through the fill hole when empty, I did notice some wear shavings in the case, but nothing crazy.

How it drives: Honestly, I feel almost no difference. It feels slightly smoother maybe but maybe that's just placebo. Also might be because i rev match every shift so it always feels smooth anyways.

In case it wasn't apparent, the fill whoke is easily accessible from the too of the engine bay. Also, when looking for the drain plug under the car, just look under the car from the drivers side. Find the 90degree bend from the exhaust manifold to the midpipe and look at the transmission. There you go.

Took maybe 20-30 mins, including messing around with jacks. I then proceeded to partially bleed the clutch but then stopped when I realized I was probably gonna mess uo and get air in trying to move quickly from the clutch pedal to back under the car to shut the bleeder lmao. Need a second person or a power bleeder.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Trans capacity is 2 quarts with LSD

2.2 quarts without LSD. Unless you remove the fill plug it is a bit hard to determine if the level is correct. Car should be level when checking.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice write up!
Speed bleeders are always nice to have. IIRC, the one that fits the brakes also fits the CSC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trans capacity is 2 quarts with LSD

2.2 quarts without LSD. Unless you remove the fill plug it is a bit hard to determine if the level is correct. Car should be level when checking.
Thanks for the heads up. My car def does not have the original engine or trans (scrap yard nums on parts) so how do i determine if i have an lsd? I know the wheel test wont work and the the vin/ door jamb is useless in this case. Actually, nvr mind, ill just use the side fill plug and see if it dribbles. Curious though, is having it .2 qt low a big deal?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Best way to tell if you have a LSD:

But if the primary concern is your oil level, simplest solution is to just check it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My car def does not have the original engine or trans (scrap yard nums on parts) so how do i determine if i have an lsd? I know the wheel test wont work and the the vin/ door jamb is useless in this case. Actually, nvr mind, ill just use the side fill plug and see if it dribbles. Curious though, is having it .2 qt low a big deal?
It is to me, there is a reason for stated capacities. I don't like letting the oil level get below the mid point in the range either. Same for coolant, brake and PS fluids. If the car is level when checked and a drop of trans fluid comes out when the plug is removed then the correct amount of fluid is in the trans, doesn't matter if the trans has LSD or not. I don't think 5sp's came with LSD but that doesn't mean one has not been installed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
LSD was an option in 5 speeds after 2003 here in the states. They were also an option in Japan but not sure on the year range.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is to me, there is a reason for stated capacities. I don't like letting the oil level get below the mid point in the range either. Same for coolant, brake and PS fluids. If the car is level when checked and a drop of trans fluid comes out when the plug is removed then the correct amount of fluid is in the trans, doesn't matter if the trans has LSD or not. I don't think 5sp's came with LSD but that doesn't mean one has not been installed.
You convinced me haha. Picked up another quart and gonna top off when it stops raining. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That was part of my first off maintenance items when I picked up my 05 with 74k on it last June. I used the Redline though. It was pretty easy as I used a cleaned up liquid laundry detergent pump. And I have a car lift so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was part of my first off maintenance items when I picked up my 05 with 74k on it last June. I used the Redline though. It was pretty easy as I used a cleaned up liquid laundry detergent pump. And I have a car lift so.
Im jealous. When i have my own house, lift is def going in the garage.
IMG_20200213_205408366.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts