MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I recently put HID's on my 2000 Mr2 and while I enjoy the better lighting of the road at night, I have seen while searching the forum that because my headlights are reflectors, it causes a bit of glare for other drivers. I was wondering if there was a way/and how to focus my lights a little lower to the ground. While trying to search the forums for an answer, I saw someone mentioned the 2003+ has knobs on the back to turn to change the focus, and I wanted to know if the 2000-2002 have these and if so how to adjust them.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Yes you can adjust them up and down. There is a little sprocket looking thing on the back of the housing with an 8mm hex head in the center of that, that is the adjustment knob.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Here are two pictures of the back of the housing, see the round grey knob on the upper left part of the housing? (NOT being pointed at by the red arrow)

Here it is with the ratchet on it.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
The other thing to consider is that there is a specific piece of the reflector that is designed to cause a certain amount of glare....stock OR HID. If you look just below the bulb, there's a flat upward-angled facet that is designed to help light up signs and generally produce light above the rest of the cutoff of your beam. The '03-'05 projectors have something similar with a similar purpose...just not in the same place in relation to the bulb. If you can manage to paint that with something that wont cause fogging and does not reflect light (or remove the reflective surface...be mindful of dust), it should help somewhat. I'm not aware of anyone who has done that, so I can't say how much difference that would make. You could try a simple piece of black electrical tape to temporarily check the effect first...

·
Registered
643 Posts
spydertoph, thanks for pointing this out as i have been curious as well for 00-02 spyders.

so lefty to adjust down, and righty to adjust up?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I will wait tonight so I can see where the focus is and adjust it a little lower. Even if it doesn't help THAT much, I will feel less like an ass on the road.

If its supposed to glare a bit I dont mind, at least if its a little lower it should help other drivers coming towards me. And I probably need the little glare since there is little/no lighting on the roads here!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
729 Posts
On the subject of headlights, don't you need a modification (harness?) to use HIDS on the 00-02 headlights? I wanted to upgrade my bulbs to something brighter, however I have very little experience with automotive electrical wiring so I was hoping to avoid this. Also, give some feedback after adjusting the headlight angle (maybe pics @ night?) :D

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
If you buy a kit from DDM, it comes with a harness that is very easy to install. Some people just tap into a dedicated 12v in the relay (fuse?) block up front, then there is a plug that connects to the headlight plug on your body harness to control hi/low. I ran a dedicated 12v straight from the battery w/ a fuse. If you do buy from DDM, get the 55watt kit! I got the 35watt because I was worried about if the harness could handle it or not, and now that I did I wish I would have just went with the 55. FYI, the harness can handle it, and if you run a dedicated wire to the battery (like I did) it doesn't matter anyways. Also I got 5000k bulbs for a nice pure white and they are to blue for me. I think if you went with the 55watt kit the 5000k bulbs would be a more pure white, but if you get the 35 watt kit get the 4500k bulbs if you don't want any blue. The cut off line is like stock with the DDM kit, not the cleanest, but not terrible; you can still see a defined cut-off. I had to aim my lights up after the install because they were aimed about 8 feet in front of me after I installed the HID's. I have never been high-beamed by anyone because of light scatter or anything like that either. From my personal experience the 35 watt kit is a great addition for the pre-facelift models and is safe to other drivers as well (minimal light scatter), if I was going to do it again I would get the 55 watt kit, but I can't comment on whether is scatters more light or not. Oh and don't forget to put your flame suit on when you ask how to disable the DRL's when you install the kit! :lol:

·
Registered
643 Posts
there is still minimal scatter, but much less now as i pointed the headlights downward. such a huge improvement and a reduction in glare! i am sure drivers on the road will appreciate this:lol:

·
Registered
729 Posts
there is still minimal scatter, but much less now as i pointed the headlights downward. such a huge improvement and a reduction in glare! i am sure drivers on the road will appreciate this:lol:
Good to hear, sadly our own side & rear-view mirrors will forever be at SUV headlight level, this is my pet peeve of night driving :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts