MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up a shift knob to change my worn OEM one... unfortunantely the new shift knob is longer than the OEM and hits the ring that holds up the boot before i can even thread the new knob on... is it as simple as taking off the boot and knocking the ring down to fit?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had ordered a new knob for mine and wasn`t able to get it to fit. Knocking the plastic holder down is a bad idea, the leather dust cover would just be free to move down. I could have rigged mine to work but it would have made my shift stick longer than stock and not feel right. Stayed with the stock one and I'm glad I did.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had ordered a new knob for mine and wasn`t able to get it to fit. Knocking the plastic holder down is a bad idea, the leather dust cover would just be free to move down. I could have rigged mine to work but it would have made my shift stick longer than stock and not feel right. Stayed with the stock one and I'm glad I did.
i was actually thinking about taking the boot off and taking the shifter out, put it in a vise, then knocking the ring down...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last year I replaced the stock shift knob with a round aftermarket one that came with a threaded adapter and a jamb nut. One of the problems that I encountered was that when re-assembled the jamb nut was between the ball and the chrome trim "wagonwheel" and caused a gap that looked nasty. What I did was chuck the wagon wheel up in a lathe and cut a recess in the top to allow space for the jamb nut to fit down inside and also to let the outer ring to fit up against the bottom of the ball.

I also noticed that the new knob sat higher on the stick than the original one did so I used the appropriate die and cut the threads farther down to retain the original "short" feel. I then pushed the white clip that holds the trim up farther down and placed a light gauge spring on top of the clip to hold the trim ring against the bottom of the ball.

·
Registered
844 Posts
A few years ago I replaced my shifter boot with a leather one and installed the longer TRD shifter knob. I reused the OEM ring on the top of the boot but don't recall having to remove the plastic stop ring on the shifter shaft to get it to fit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I bought one of these billet knobs for the Spyder, and it comes with a base machined with a groove to accept the metal ring at the top of the shifter boot - you therefore ditch the hideous shiny wagon-wheel. Highly recommended - very nice weight and feel!

Ebay Link

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few years ago I replaced my shifter boot with a leather one and installed the longer TRD shifter knob. I reused the OEM ring on the top of the boot but don't recall having to remove the plastic stop ring on the shifter shaft to get it to fit.
i can't even get my knob to thread on because the OEM ring that holds up the top of the boot sits high to accommodate the OEM knob... did you have to move the ring down?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts