Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Repairs include

All 3 o2 sensors
Air filter
Spark plugs

I am burning through gas like crazy. Throwing codes p0175 and p0172

Im getting misfires on cylinder 2 and 3 with no performance issues.

Sometimes the engines ticks.

I smell gas only when car is running, but there is no leak anywhere.

The elbow piece coming from the back of the air filter house is missing(ordered and on its way)

Iridium spark plugs were gapped to 45. Replaced them and didnt gap them, still same problem.

Sometimes the car has bouts of power and other times feels slightly sluggish but always responsive.

I cant get rid if this engine light and im burning through gas...like ridiculous amounts of gas.

Probably an 1/8 of tanks for 4 miles.

There amy be other details but I just want to get this thread started. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I am burning through gas like crazy. Throwing codes p0175 and p0172
I cant get rid if this engine light and im burning through gas...like ridiculous amounts of gas.
Probably an 1/8 of tanks for 4 miles.
There amy be other details but I just want to get this thread started. Any ideas??
From the manual, the codes are recorded "When air–fuel ratio feedback is stable after warming up engine, fuel trim is considerably in error on LEAN side.". That means the ECM is trying to lean out the engine. If there was a sensor issue, and the engine wasn't actually running very rich, a negative fuel trim would make the engine very lean,, probably have little power, and no use much fuel.

So the first thing is to determine if is is actually running rich, or the ECM just thinks it is rich. You should get a scan tool and verify the coolant temp sensor has proper values, the O2 sensors have good values, and other sensor readings seem proper. The fact you claim it is using excessive fuel suggests it is actually running rich. In that case, it would be common to see black exhaust smoke and the spark plugs would be very black or even slightly wet. Pull the new plugs and see what they look like.

What is the history of this car? When did the problem start?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is this after it's warmed up or happens constantly?
What did the plugs look like when you took them out?
Were they saturated due to excess fuel?
Emission systems undamaged (cannister, purge valve, etc)?

odd that it is just #2 and #3

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Is this after it's warmed up or happens constantly?
What did the plugs look like when you took them out?
Were they saturated due to excess fuel?
Emission systems undamaged (cannister, purge valve, etc)?

odd that it is just #2 and #3
The codes are bank 1 and bank 2, so probably all cylinders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The elbow piece has been installed. I'll try to get a scanner on it tonight. It appears to run well until the engine heats up. I am only getting p0172 and p0175. The spark plugs looked clean and are pregapped at 41 Denso Iridium. I dont seem to smell as much gas since installed the elbow piece but im still losing it and the engine its self has some weird grumbling or popping noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.

I am being directed to the Intake Manifold Gasket. If this is bad could there be a gas leak? How exactly does this system work?

Is it that there's an extra hold so the vacuum sux up more oxygen and causes the system to dump more gas? Or is it that gas is being lost from the hole? Where is the actually gas smell coming from if this is the problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toyota, All Transmission World and My personal mechanic could not figure this problem out. Please helpful replies only.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dealerships and transmission shops are notoriously terrible with this kind of thing. Sounds like you need to find a more competent personal mechanic - not being able to figure out a poorly running car that has OBD2 fault codes present is not a good sign.

And if it is indeed that complex or odd of a problem, I am unsure as to how we can help you remotely...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you can't, so probably don't belong here, but others already have immensely. Thanks though!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Dealerships and transmission shops are notoriously terrible with this kind of thing. Sounds like you need to find a more competent personal mechanic - not being able to figure out a poorly running car that has OBD2 fault codes present is not a good sign.

And if it is indeed that complex or odd of a problem, I am unsure as to how we can help you remotely...
I agree completely. Your so-called mechanics should be doing some basic troubleshooting to first verify the actual conditions, such as fuel trims, sensor readings, actual fuel consumption, engine compression, history of the car, etc. Any even minimally qualified mechanic should have a scan tool and can verify various settings. That is mechanics 101 on modern cars. The fact someone has suggested a bad intake gasket (a very rare failure) suggests they don't have a clue about how to diagnose the problem, and are just trying to throw parts at it.

Some dealers have decent technicians, but often have many apprentice types who are given the "old" cars to learn. They might be able to change tires and do oil changes (maybe), but diagnosing an unusual problem is probably beyond their skill set and they often do a lot of expensive unnecessary repairs. And why would you even consider a transmission shop? They may be OK on transmissions, but this isn't a transmission problem.

Just a word of warning. Many unscrupulous shops (and there are many) see an owner who doesn't have much mechanical knowledge and they see a cash cow. They know they sell the owner all kinds of "required repairs" that don't fix the problem and then suggest they just can't find the cause. I have seen engines replaced because of a bad spark plug. If they can't give clear answers supported by test results, go elsewhere. They need to be able to explain every symptom with their diagnosis.

A number of questions have been asked in this thread with no replies. Without information it isn't even possible to determine if there really is a problem. People here want to help, but we need information. Even then, troubleshooting from a distance is very hard. Some of the symptoms you indicated seem inconsistent with the other symptoms, so troubleshooting won't be easy.

The most helpful reply would be to a) answer the questions posed, b) find a qualified technician who is willing and able to run diagnostic tests and give you the results, or c) give up and get another car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dawg i work 17 hours a day, my time and resources are limited. People aren't as stupid as you make them out to be. I had my transmission and shifter cable replaced and the gas problem happened after that. That's why I brought it to the transmission shop. I found the problem its a gasket by the gas tank. Its not my fault the mechanics are inept or deceitful. And I have answered every question I have an answer for. Cant just sit around and jack off with my work schedule. Im unimpressed with the ignorance here. Time to go else where bye guys thanks to those of you who actually tried and showed respect.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Bye.

But had you intially posted "transmission and shifter cable replaced and the gas problem happened after that ", much time and angst would have been avoided. No information = no help

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Emission systems undamaged (cannister, purge valve, etc)?"

I had asked if you checked the emissions system. You likely would have found it when doing so. Sorry it took so much bullshit to get to the source of the problem.
Likely you had multiple problems all related to the trans shop screwing things up. Hope you can recoup some of the expense from those assholes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately they won't own up to it. But It'll be okay. Only problem now is finding time to get to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bye.

But had you intially posted "transmission and shifter cable replaced and the gas problem happened after that ", much time and angst would have been avoided. No information = no help
I don't argue with Schizophrenics. Thanks for nothing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts