MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wait, so there is a leak? (“smell gas only when car is running, but there is no leak anywhere“). And the cylinder misfires have nothing to do with physical damage to the unknown gasket? What gasket? How did you find this working 27 hours a day? So you did take the car to a mechanic?
Two earings, multiple tattoos each expressing devotion to family and their dog each in Cyrillic incorrect lettering, sometimes wears thinning hair in a bun, just made it through high school because the education standards have slipped so tremendously. Arrogant and self-riteous with no ability to comprehend how lucky they are to have a forum that has intelligent generous “peers” who understand the above limitations of the post and can see potential tragedy rather than stupid mommy raised selfie snapping insecure twits whose experience in the world is identical to their own. Then to top off exaggerating their ignorance, they threaten to no longer belong to ‘the club‘. Tragic. Great spot on responses, all in vain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wait, so there is a leak? (“smell gas only when car is running, but there is no leak anywhere“). And the cylinder misfires have nothing to do with physical damage to the unknown gasket? What gasket? How did you find this working 27 hours a day? So you did take the car to a mechanic?
Two earings, multiple tattoos each expressing devotion to family and their dog each in Cyrillic incorrect lettering, sometimes wears thinning hair in a bun, just made it through high school because the education standards have slipped so tremendously. Arrogant and self-riteous with no ability to comprehend how lucky they are to have a forum that has intelligent generous “peers” who understand the above limitations of the post and can see potential tragedy rather than stupid mommy raised selfie snapping insecure twits whose experience in the world is identical to their own. Then to top off exaggerating their ignorance, they threaten to no longer belong to ‘the club‘. Tragic. Great spot on responses, all in vain.
Chill dawg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's the medication that causes it.

So, did you get your car fixed?
Lol. Tell me about it. No not yet. Its beyond my experience and my mechanic is figuring it out while I am at work right now. Initially when I posted that I had found the problem, that was a pre excited statement to something I thought made sense, which looking back was a hopeful irrational fantasy I came up with as I realized the gas tank had to be removed by the trans mission shop, and assumed they broke a seal. I do know there is some kind of leak because removing the gas cap provides NO HISS, so no pressure. Somethings fucked up. I'm having him check the seals and the cannister. My brain is mush and cant even think straight. I have mediocre experience with mechanics, but learn quickly. I did everything I could and took really poor advice. I thought a hand grenade would be a cheaper fix but it turns out its illegal to lob them in suburban areas.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A good HONEST mechanic is hard to find, and they are always busy. I know one in Long Beach, California, one in Bayfield, Colorado, and one in Winder, Georgia. That's my whole collection in 47 years of life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Okay, heres what I got. An evap check valve is bad, as well as a little valve on the side of the cannister and some hose.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A fuel tank with a functioning evap system should not hiss when the cap is removed, that is what the charcoal canister system is for. Tank should remain at atmospheric pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A fuel tank with a functioning evap system should not hiss when the cap is removed, that is what the charcoal canister system is for. Tank should remain at atmospheric pressure.

When i pull the gas cap off of any vehicle, it hisses.

·
Registered
333 Posts
None of my vehicles hiss when I remove the gas cap. In fact, my two newer vehicles are actually capless.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it was losing that much fuel via the vapor system then you might have to deal with a now damaged canister as it will be saturated beyond hope.
It is a bit like people who over fill their gas tank on a road trip. It can cause damage to the evap system if filled too far. Purge valve, purge solenoid, canister, tank pressure sensor, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I replaced the over flow check valve several hoses on the canister and discovered my shifter cable wasn't bolted. Now it shifts better and has all its power back. The gas smell is completely gone. I have yet to put 20 miles on it. I almost bought a new canister but decided to see if i could fix it. So far so good. Ironically now the trunk doesn't open so its hard to get into the engine. I was able to get a long shaft and jimmy it open and tie a string to it. I dont even k ow where to begin to fix that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds good so far.
You would only need the canister if it was saturated inside with fuel or it had physical damage so if an evap light doesn't pop up after a driving cycle you should be fine with that bit of it.
Is one of the rubber bumpers just not popping it up to open it or is the release cable not functioning (stretched, loose or disconnected)?
Sounds like that shop needs to be reported to the BBB so at least their incompetence is documented.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts