MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got the car about a year ago, I've done the various maintaince/repairs which the previous owner either negeleted or was content to live with. I finally got around to the air filter and Oh Monkey!

I did change the oil first thing and this is not my DD, nevertheless , I should of done this sooner, I bow my head in shame.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You can always blame Toyota for making the airfilter so dman inaccessible....

·
Registered
896 Posts
That is clean compared to how mine looked when I bought it from a dealer that assured me everything was serviced!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Not as bad as my AEM filter that was installed and probably never changed from the point of the install by the previous owner.

...and it's got ya beat on inaccessibility, had to pull the wheel well and have someone push the intake down while I blindly pushed the new one on from underneath.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's bad but not that bad! No shame needed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clean the MAF.
The MAF has been cleand, thanks to I'm San Fran.
Thanks!

The air filter is definately not readliy accessable, but in the end it's so worth it.

I'll rest easier knowing that it's been changed.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My God, that looks terrible (j/k!) Car looks great!!
Thanks!

I did do a double take when I pulled the air filter out. In all actuallity, I shouldn't have been to
suprised by the condition. Still upseting when one sees it in person.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Air filter is a PITA to replace, or even check. On the good side it'll stay clean for a long time unless you run it in a really dirty environment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You think that's bad... I had gone about 18 months without looking at the air filter a few years ago. when I finally decided it was time, I opened the box and lo and behold, it was nearly filled with acorns. Damn squirrels... Had to disassemble the entire airbox setup to the TB and use a shop vac to make sure I got them all out.

I put some rabbit wire screen just before the airbox in the tube to keep the squirrels out and now no more problemo (well...no more acorns, but still need to clean the filter now and then).

·
Registered
23,106 Posts
Having a dirty air filter is not a bad thing and in some ways make the filter more efficient by preventing dirt past the filter. The problem is your gas millage and performance will suffer.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think I have you beat.

To my defense, just got a new engine, after two years of excessive oilusage. If you have to fill her up every 500 km, you don't care much about oil and filter changes.......What's the worst that could happen, your engine could die....:lol:

I actually also took out the entire airfilter-assembly, to clean it thorougly. No sense in changing the filter into a dirty compartment. Why did you clean the battery too, you ask ? Well, I had to take it out, to find those two bolts I had dropped behind it. Might as wel make it shiny too.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Having a dirty air filter is not a bad thing and in some ways make the filter more efficient by preventing dirt past the filter. The problem is your gas millage and performance will suffer.
Dev, shall I send you the old filter ? :lol:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
As long as you guys still pay in dollars by the gallon, I wouldn't worry about gas mileage...^_^

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You think that's bad... I had gone about 18 months without looking at the air filter a few years ago. when I finally decided it was time, I opened the box and lo and behold, it was nearly filled with acorns. Damn squirrels... Had to disassemble the entire airbox setup to the TB and use a shop vac to make sure I got them all out.

I put some rabbit wire screen just before the airbox in the tube to keep the squirrels out and now no more problemo (well...no more acorns, but still need to clean the filter now and then).
That's nuts!

Sorry, couldn't help the obvious.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Green Goblin you take the cake for whos got the dirties filter, dam that thing looks like its being to war :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts