MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a rough idle since I bought the car in 2009. It has been getting progressively worse to the point of rattling the soda can while in the cup holder. I changed the plugs to help pass a failed smog test. Passed the test but still had the rough idle.

I read about troubles that a dirty MAF can cause so I thought I would give it a shot. I followed the instructions provided by Hokiemule. A piece-o-cake 15 minute job. I fired it up to find the idle problem was fixed. Cool!

Now for the interesting part (at least for me). I drove to work today and noticed a very noticeable improvement in drive-ability. I have tried very hard to think about how to describe it but am not sure how to get my experience across. There is a noticeably smother transition from closed throttle to open. Most noticeable from closed to just cracking it open a bit. The results are smother and faster movement from a standing start and much smoother up shifting.

I wouldn't have bothered to mention it except I was so surprised at the improvement. If it wasn't for the idle problem, I wouldn't have bothered with cleaning the MAF. Now that I can get this done in about 10 minutes the next time, I am going include this as an annual maintenance item.

Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have had a rough idle since I bought the car in 2009. It has been getting progressively worse to the point of rattling the soda can while in the cup holder. I changed the plugs to help pass a failed smog test. Passed the test but still had the rough idle.

I read about troubles that a dirty MAF can cause so I thought I would give it a shot. I followed the instructions provided by Hokiemule. A piece-o-cake 15 minute job. I fired it up to find the idle problem was fixed. Cool!

Now for the interesting part (at least for me). I drove to work today and noticed a very noticeable improvement in drive-ability. I have tried very hard to think about how to describe it but am not sure how to get my experience across. There is a noticeably smother transition from closed throttle to open. Most noticeable from closed to just cracking it open a bit. The results are smother and faster movement from a standing start and much smoother up shifting.

I wouldn't have bothered to mention it except I was so surprised at the improvement. If it wasn't for the idle problem, I wouldn't have bothered with cleaning the MAF. Now that I can get this done in about 10 minutes the next time, I am going include this as an annual maintenance item.

Mark
awesome good to hear. I need to do mine. Next time you do it pics and directions.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
did you disconnect the battery that increase in power will fade a little when the ecu finishes its relearning procedures this occurs anytime the battery is disconnected

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Mass Air Flow=MAF That little sensor determines the amount (mass) of air entering your engine, slightly off readings will throw the computer into another load cell which will affect the amount of fuel the injectors squirt into the engine. There are two very thin wires hidden inside the maf housing. One is a temperature reference wire and the other is a hot wire. The computer will try to keep the wires at the same temperature by adding or subtracting voltage to the hot wire. The ecu converts the voltage to mass flow and then squirts the proper amount of fuel into the motor. Any dirt on the two sensor wires slows down the reaction times and screws up the reference voltage so your car runs crappy. The little temperature bulb you can see when looking at the maf is used for static air temp for cold starts and various other running modes. I would say clean the maf a minimum of once a year if using the stock dry paper filter. If you converted to an oiled gauze filter I would clean it much more often.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What code were you throwing before? Was it a misfire? The guy that sold me my car said he cleaned the MAF sensor already but I might pull it off and do it myself just to be sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I disconnected mine.

did you disconnect the battery that increase in power will fade a little when the ecu finishes its relearning procedures this occurs anytime the battery is disconnected
My car was running crappy so I decided to clean the MAF and change the air filter....it ran even more crappy, can't rev out to WOT crappy accelleration , the works. I was about to bring in the heavy artillery like changing plugs checking sensors and all that crap whe I read a post somewhere , I believe it was Cap Weir, the post said that I should disconnect the batter.
I did that for about 20 mins befor starting out on my daily drive and the performance was unbelievable!!! Cap yo da man .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts