MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Spyder owners.

For awhile now, I have been trying to eliminate a 'clicking' noise coming from my front brakes. I hear it intermittently and only at low speeds (it may get drowned out by other sounds when speeds increase). I jacked up the front of the car and rotated the tires by hand, and I am fairly certain that the sound is coming from the metal clips that hold the sides of the brake pads. I tried a replacement set of aftermarket pads which came with new clips (I am not sure if there is a technical name for them) but had the same problem. I recently switched to OEM replacement pads, but they did not come with any mounting hardware and I had to reuse the aftermarket pieces. The brakes work fine, but the clips don't seem to fit all that well.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what I need to order to get factory mounting hardware? I have attached a picture with an arrow showing the piece that I am talking about. There is a clip on the bottom as well, but it is difficult to see in this photo, so I did not draw an arrow to it. This is a before photo and I also replaced the front rotors with OEM pieces and cleaned everything up, so things look better now, but the clicking persists.

Thank you.
Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Remove the scaling rust from the caliper brackets before putting on the new hardware and get the OEM hardware.
While you are at it make sure the caliper slide pins aren't binding up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I should add that I replaced the brackets and re-lubed the pins while I was at it. It's better, but not completely gone. I'm still having a hard time finding the right part to order for the OEM mounting hardware, but the dealer I normally order from seems to be listing fewer and fewer parts, so maybe I need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would say World Pac would have it but you will need a business license and an account set up to purchase from them (often cheaper that the dealership).
Also you could try putting the impact screws back in the rotors to help lock them in place in case the noise is coming from them moving under load.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
... the dealer I normally order from seems to be listing fewer and fewer parts, so maybe I need to look elsewhere.
Maybe so. The dealers have access to the entire digital parts catalog. When I go to the Toyota parts department, the clerk pulls up the exploded diagram of the subsystem I am interested in, I point to whatever thingie that I want, and she looks up the number and tells me the price and delivery.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It seems some dealers use different software for the diagrams. For example, one online seller has diagrams that show the pad hardware, and another does not. So if they are using the same software in house, some may not show everything. Even the best diagrams sometimes don't show all the parts, but just list them by description.

Often the best solution is to check multiple online sellers that have diagrams and see if any show the part you need.

Another good site with diagrams is Toyota itself HERE and you can just enter your VIN to find the parts.

Unfortunately, many parts are being discontinued with no aftermarket options. Go lookup almost any wiper system part other than a blade. Most Spyder wiper parts have been discontinued for some time

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just like in Ford there is MicroCat, SnapOn CPD and Catalog Advantage.
It just depends on what catalog they use.
There are companies out there that buy of old obsolete parts from manufacturers when they stop carrying them. CJ Pony is a good example when it comes to Mustang parts.
You might be able to find the parts online.

Sadly it is easier to build a Model A from scratch sourcing every last part than it is to find parts for the Spyder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the parts links and part number. I guess I assumed that everyone used the same system, but there are a lot more listed on the sites you guys linked to. Placing my order tonight...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new clips arrived the other day and I got them installed. The factory parts fit much better than the aftermarket pieces I had been using. I still hear an occasional click, but it's about a 90% improvement from the way it was before. Thanks for the help in locating the right parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
jimt
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing