MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I'm sitting at a light idling I hear a clicking noise behind my head in the engine area. I also, hear it while I am running however, it does not seem to increase in speed as I accelerate. But I parked it the other day in a parking lot opened the rear hood and tried to figure out where it was coming from. Not really sure...

Anybody know of anything that is known to start clicking sounds? I'm hoping that if its something like the pre-cats I can catch it and replace the part before it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tap the serpentine belt just where it's connected to the tensioner. You will hear a clicking sound if your tensioner is bad.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
You should post a youtube video on here. It's hard to describe a noise--one man's click is another man's tap and another man's knock... Somebody like Cap could probably hear your noise and point you right where you need to go.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I too was hearing a clicking sound in the engine bay, passenger side. I couldnt figure out what it was. I couldnt really figure out a pattern of the noise. It sounded like something was loose, metallic. I checked the suspension, nothing. Thought the brake pads were worn, nope.

I had a leaking timing chain tensioner in the past, had the dealer fix it. Went back to them for a follow up because they asked me to. So I went back and what do you know, it was leaking again. Had it fixed. So far the sound is gone.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should post a youtube video on here. It's hard to describe a noise--one man's click is another man's tap and another man's knock... Somebody like Cap could probably hear your noise and point you right where you need to go.
That was my first thought to do after I posted this thread but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll try and put a youtube up soon though, maybe this weekend.

I too was hearing a clicking sound in the engine bay, passenger side. I couldnt figure out what it was. I couldnt really figure out a pattern of the noise. It sounded like something was loose, metallic. I checked the suspension, nothing. Thought the brake pads were worn, nope. I had a leaking timing chain tensioner in the past, had the dealer fix it. Went back to them for a follow up because they asked me to. So I went back and what do you know, it was leaking again. Had it fixed. So far the sound is gone.
I'm almost tempted to have the locat dealership look at it for me. But I have had the time to run the car by and let them take a look at it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine has the same symptoms. Rough idle, clicking noise in the engine bay, and heard most only at idle. Pre cats gutted, and oil consumption......

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
...as soon as I get a non-raining day I'm going to do a complete check of the engine bay, oil level and etcs.

I was going to take it to the local Toyota dealership, but sounds like I shouldn't. Seems like they don't do a very good job in the service department.
I would stay far away from the Toyota dealership:) Ask around for someone GOOD in your area... Use a broom to push on the serpentine belt (with the car off of course:)). I bet you will find your ticking problem there--that one is pretty common--belt tensioners are a cheap, fairly straightforward repair. Good luck!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use the rubber-hose-held-to-your-ear trick to localize the noise. Point the hose at various parts until it is loudest.
Good idea.

Since tonight on the drive through town I slightly cracked the windows to see if I could hear the noise and I could.

We used to take long screwdrivers and place them on different parts in cars to find a rattle in auto tech, but that isn't very reliable.

I might try the hose thing at work tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts