MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
A clutch stroke sensor could also cause this. That is located on the GSA. As previously stated, brake fluid can get into the sensor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Does the car move forward as soon as you take your foot off the brake? Or does it stall when you apply the accelerator? Is the idle low?
Since there’s residual fluid in the system, and your fluid appears to have never been changed, I would replace it again. Cleaning the maf sensor can help sometimes.
You really want your engine running smoothly for the SMT. Still have the misfire?
Cleaned the MAF, replaced filter. Codes appear to be gone atm. Car stalls when I try to creep and isles at 1.5k rpms

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The idle is high. I would think that’s a throttle body issue and is where the APS and TPS are located. I was waiting for that information as this can get complicated with all the possibilities. When you say, “try to creep”, do you mean apply accelerator pedal slightly as to move forward a little?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The idle is high. I would think that’s a throttle body issue and is where the APS and TPS are located. I was waiting for that information as this can get complicated with all the possibilities. When you say, “try to creep”, do you mean apply accelerator pedal slightly as to move forward a little?
Yes, sorry for the confusion. Still very new to all this

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I’ll run the Techstream that came in today on it and get back to you guys. Is doing the TS relearn the same as lifting the rear wheels and doing that relearn?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As someone who replaced a HPU pressure sensor with success, I'd like to say my symptoms were nothing like you're experiencing. I had issues getting my car into gear after I left it alone for a while and the HPU would randomly turn on or off as I was driving. Also, I didn't have any drivability issues myself. But I feel as though you'd be running into the problem of being stuck in neutral if it were the sensor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
As someone who replaced a HPU pressure sensor with success, I'd like to say my symptoms were nothing like you're experiencing. I had issues getting my car into gear after I left it alone for a while and the HPU would randomly turn on or off as I was driving. Also, I didn't have any drivability issues myself. But I feel as though you'd be running into the problem of being stuck in neutral if it were the sensor.
I can definitely get out of neutral. Is I slowly creep in 1st, the car stalls. But if I get rpms high neutral, then go to 1st, I can get it going. Occasional slips going up and down gears

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, I have an 02 MR2 (SMT), 53kmiles . Iwas at a complete stop in 1st gear, when I hit the gas, the whole car came to a jolting stop. Same thing happened when I tried to reverse. Also tried taking off in 2nd gear with the same result. I had it towed home.
My grandfather was actually able to get it to takeoff and said you just need to get the rpm high before you go. Other than that, it shifts perfectly between all gears. He said the clutch wasn’t disengaging (I understand it’s not an actual clutch)
My hydraulic fluid is around 1/4-1/3 full and I already have some being shipped to me.
I feel like I have the issue down to a few things. Low hydraulic fluid, maybe I need to bleed the clutch, or I need a new hpu pressure accumulator sensor.

I have left my battery unplugged overnight and am about to plug it back in and attempt to do the “clutch friction point relearn” in hopes of that solving this issue.

I have three error codes, but none of which I believe relates to this issue.
P0304, P0003, P0103

I would truly appreciate any help from you guys as reading these forums have helped out tremendously with previous issues.
I have the same car with 84,000 that I bought last year. I just ordered three containers of the SMT fluid. I loosened the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. The fluid that came out was much darker than what I had bought. About two quarts drained out. I then replaced the drain plug and removed the fill plug (towards the front of the transmission, looks like the drain plug.). I then removed the 12 MM bolt from the top of the trans and filled up there with a funnel and two containers. I stopped when I saw it run out of the fill plug below. (I didn’t have a good way to fill it from the fill hole.) The weather is cold here in VA now (40’s) and I had been noticing that the trans was slower to disengage on the first couple of cold stops out of my driveway. It would drop down to 400-500 rpm before letting go. I believe the fluid change has helped this. I’m going to order another quart for $114 and do the procedure again after I drive it some more.
I don’t know what you’re looking at to conclude lowness of the SMT fluid. Sounds like you may be confusing the brake fluid reservoir with SMT for which there is no sight glass.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I cannot get my car to connect to TS. I installed from the video perfectly and when I hit connect to car, nothing happens

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have the same car with 84,000 that I bought last year. I just ordered three containers of the SMT fluid. I loosened the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. The fluid that came out was much darker than what I had bought. About two quarts drained out. I then replaced the drain plug and removed the fill plug (towards the front of the transmission, looks like the drain plug.). I then removed the 12 MM bolt from the top of the trans and filled up there with a funnel and two containers. I stopped when I saw it run out of the fill plug below. (I didn’t have a good way to fill it from the fill hole.) The weather is cold here in VA now (40’s) and I had been noticing that the trans was slower to disengage on the first couple of cold stops out of my driveway. It would drop down to 400-500 rpm before letting go. I believe the fluid change has helped this. I’m going to order another quart for $114 and do the procedure again after I drive it some more.
I don’t know what you’re looking at to conclude lowness of the SMT fluid. Sounds like you may be confusing the brake fluid reservoir with SMT for which there is no sight glass.
NO, I hope you didn’t put SMT fluid in the transaxle!!!
SMT fluid goes in the HPU reservoir not the trans. Transmission needs gear oil.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yikes!! Gear boxes run on gear lube. SMT system runs on brake fluid or Magic Toyota SMT fluid (your choice). SMT system fluid goes into the yellow plastic reservior. Any gear oil in the plastic reservior will destroy the entire SMT system. With brake fluid ( or magic Toyota fluid) in the gearbox, I’d expect to burn up the transmission bearings pretty promptly.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Techstream can be a pain if you’re not computer savy. When you get it connected, look for trans code(s) and if there isn’t any, I would concentrate on the high idle issue. The throttle body might be leaking at the butterfly shaft or at the gasket or maybe the tps is failing. The TCM looks at throttle angle, trans speed, and engine RPM for clutch control. The TCM may be perceiving high idle as a request for clutch engagement.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yikes!! Gear boxes run on gear lube. SMT system runs on brake fluid or Magic Toyota SMT fluid (your choice). SMT system fluid goes into the yellow plastic reservior. Any gear oil in the plastic reservior will destroy the entire SMT system. With brake fluid ( or magic Toyota fluid) in the gearbox, I’d expect to burn up the transmission bearings pretty promptly.
Not to mention two cans of SMT fluid down the drain.
Don’t reuse this for the SMT system; it’ll be contaminated with old gear oil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Update: it appears I’ve lost ability to shift into or down to 2nd gear. Maybe this helps us narrow down the issue?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The clutch itself could be broken. Unfortunately, I don't know how to positively determine this without a manual actuator.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts