MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
There is a boot under the car that maybe ripped. I had the same issue and had to lie the car up and have someone lube the hell out of the inside of the boot. Not saying that yours is the same squeak.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
It's probably the clutch slave cylinder rod. It's underneath the boot referenced above. It's a squarish smallish rubber boot on the back of the transmission between the trans and the gas tank-ish. Mine's been driving me nuts, so I just bought a tub of heavy duty grease from an auto parts store. Haven't gotten around to luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubing it. I think you just slather the stuff on there. Now that you mention it, maybe I'll get to it today.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
It's probably the clutch slave cylinder rod. It's underneath the boot referenced above. It's a squarish smallish rubber boot on the back of the transmission between the trans and the gas tank-ish. Mine's been driving me nuts, so I just bought a tub of heavy duty grease from an auto parts store. Haven't gotten around to luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubing it. I think you just slather the stuff on there. Now that you mention it, maybe I'll get to it today.
Can that boot be replaced?

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. Bought some lithium grease for the job. I guess I'll get another person to press the clutch pedal and guess my way to the squeaking part.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
If it were me I would first look at a parts diagram before I would stick anything down there blind.
You can cause grease to go on the inner race of the throughout bearing which is not a good idea because if it collects dirt you will have future issues. The part that gets lubed is the pivot point that rests on the fork.
I would not use lithium grease as it will not be sufficient for this application. I would only use Moly 60 paste.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
good to know Dev, thanks

and u can get that at any honda parts dept?
Yes any Honda parts department should have it. It is one of the best fortified greases out there that has the highest moly concentration.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Good stuff. I used this when I did the 2ZZ swap, per Dev's recomendation. I think I paid $11 for it at the Honda Dealership. A little bit goes a long way with this stuff.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I greased mine while I was under there changing the trans fluid - noise gone. The issue is of clearance if you are doing it by hand. I'd suggest a grease gun with a small hose end to it. I was able to get enough on there to do the trick, but it was not elegent.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Good stuff. I used this when I did the 2ZZ swap, per Dev's recomendation. I think I paid $11 for it at the Honda Dealership. A little bit goes a long way with this stuff.

It will never squeak again and if you put it on the splines when you did your clutch then it will make sure you don't have any kind of engagement problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts