MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cook for a living and I am addict to coffee/espresso (flavor not the caffine.)

So far the method Im using is a 4C Bodium French Press, the $10 grinder, and a 5 cup water filter pitcher. I am really hesitant to buy a espresso machine ($$$$) but willing to get a mypressi sooner or later

Odd to say I drink my coffee cold and purely over milk. (Iced lattes give or take)
Thought I do enjoy the fresh taste of freshly brew time to time.

So far I've tried

Mr. Espresso (excellent)
Blue Bottle Coffee co (excellent)
Peets Coffee Italian Roast (good)
Lilys Medium Roast (okay)
Nescafe Classico, Instant (My favorite instant.)
Cafe Du Monde (okay)

and the few I just tossed

Duncan Donuts Medium
Taster Choice French Roast, Instant
Medaglia D'oro Instant Espresso, Instant
Folgers, Instant

I rarely buy brewed coffee outside. I dont believe in frappacinos. I not a big fan of starbucks.

Enlight me from all you connoisseur out there.

-Kiny

·
Registered
544 Posts
I went to Tanzania a few years back and loved the coffee there. So now I look for roasted beans from Tanzania, Kenya, or Ethiopia. I grind them to a fine espresso-like grind and use a paper cone filter. The French press can let too much of the finely ground coffee past the press and into the cup.
Mmmm,Mmmm, good!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I drink coffee daily (just black) but I'm not too picky. Not picky at all actually as I'll pretty much drink any coffee. The one that stands out the most is the Kona Coffee from Hawaii. Comes in a red bag.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always feel spoiled when I'm in Guatemala because of the great food and great coffee. While I'm a 'a little coffee with my milk and sugar' person, its still easy to tell when coffee tastes great and what coffee tastes like coffee flavored water. I'm always having friends and family send me coffee from Guatemala.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My wife and I are fussy about coffee and have tried many types. We grind our own beans and are partial to Costa Rican Tarrazu. If we can't get that, our local coffee shop has a dark roast Brazilian that is pretty good. The Au Bon Pain shops in airports often have Tarrazu as their "breakfast" blend.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Starbucks French Roast Extra Bold is hard to beat. I just run it in a Hamilton Beach auto and it's fine. If you want the ultimate, go for the Clever Coffee Dripper. I use that at work.

If you're on the west coast, Peet's has better coffee, but it's usually less fresh than Starbucks on the east coast. The way you tell is after grinding, the ground coffee should stick to the grinder, oily and adhesive.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I always feel spoiled when I'm in Guatemala because of the great food and great coffee. While I'm a 'a little coffee with my milk and sugar' person, its still easy to tell when coffee tastes great and what coffee tastes like coffee flavored water. I'm always having friends and family send me coffee from Guatemala.
I totally agree! I get coffee from Antigua. I have a burr grinder, and bunn coffee maker. I love that a full pot is ready in less than 3 minutes!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I love me a good cup of kopi luwak in the morning. Nothing like a good cuppa joe-no from the southbound end of a northbound cat.:huh:

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
For it really isn't the coffee, but how it is made. I use a percolator! I know what you will say, but buy a used one on ebay and see for yourself. Much hotter than drip and you can use less coffee as compared to a home drip. Very full body taste.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I keep whole roasted beans in the freezer and grind before brewing. The current batch of whole beans came from Costco. Some of the best coffee I've ever had. This is my weekend routine. At work I drink whatver swill we make during the day with a Mr.Coffee auto drip.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You may call me an amateur coffee drinker based on this response and that's fine. But I do drink a lot of coffee while working because I am always on the road and the company AMEX works great for coffee :) My personal favorites (and the two that have been voted "best tasting" in the country over the past few years) are Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds, in that order. Like I said, I know, amateur selections you may think. But they sure as hell beat the crap out of any Gas Station coffee and their consistency is spot-on.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I am not a coffee drinker, not even occasionally. But I was presented with a desert coffee at a Vietnamese restaurant similar to what you described, Kiny. It was served cold, over condensed milk, and was quite tasty. Looking up the reciepe online, the author has decided to use Kaluah. In retrospect, maybe that's why it was so tasty. :lol: These guys used gelatin though and made Jello with it, but you get the idea.

Recipe: Vietnamese Coffee Dessert with Kahlua
Ingredients:
400 ml strong coffee (Mocca or Espresso)
1 can (400 ml) sweetened condensed milk
7 gelatin leaves or about 12 g agar-agar
40 ml Kahlua (Mexican coffee liqueur)

Preparation:
Cook a strong coffee, we used 4 teaspoons of an Arabica (Espresso) coffee,
for the 400 ml. If You use gelatin leaves, let them soak in cold water for a few minutes.
Bring the coffee to boil and add agar-agar, let it simmer until the agar-agar starts to thicken,
stir well. Then add the sweetened condensed milk and stir well.
If You use gelatin, let the coffe cool down a bit. Press out the soaking water with Your hands
and resolve it on low heat in the coffee. Then add the sweetened condensed milk and stir well.
While the dessert starts to thicken, pour in the Kahlua liqueur and stir well.
Fill the mixture in a plastic form, like tupperware.
Let it cool down and refrigerate it for about 3 hours, best overnight.
Take the Vietnamese Coffee Dessert out of the form,
by turning it upside down and cut it in pieces.
We topped our Vietnamese Coffee Dessert with Kahlua flavoured whipped cream
and a coffee bean.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I love Cafe Du Monde. But I also drink Bustelo. I dont drink coffee every day just enjoy a good cup so often.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Nescafe Instant IS good. It is also my favorite of all the brands I've tried that you can buy off the shelf. It needs to be said that the unreasonably priced Starbucks instant coffee is by far better. I honestly can't tell it from a brewed cup of coffee.

And here is where I lose all credibility: If you are on the go Mc Donalds has some really good (and potent) brewed coffee.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
You may call me an amateur coffee drinker based on this response and that's fine. But I do drink a lot of coffee while working because I am always on the road and the company AMEX works great for coffee :) My personal favorites (and the two that have been voted "best tasting" in the country over the past few years) are Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds, in that order. Like I said, I know, amateur selections you may think. But they sure as hell beat the crap out of any Gas Station coffee and their consistency is spot-on.
Tim Hortons is consistently good. Located in Canada and the Northeast US.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
El Pico is a fine grind, dark roast good for espresso. I like it and it works well in my cheap espresso machine. Not sure how it will fair in your French press though.

I would avoid all the hype and marketing associated with coffee, notably the corporate coffee shops. All coffee grows in the mountains between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Coffee crops are like grapes in many respects in that the flavor can vary widely depending on growing season, soil, when harvested, how its dried, how its roasted, when its packed etc. Most manufacturers will alter the mix of beans and roast in order to maintain the same, consistent taste from batch to batch. Coffee is like wine, if you find one that you like and tastes good to you, then go for it. Chaff, the skin of the coffee bean, is sometimes reintroduced to the product during manufacturing. This is usually found in very low grade coffees, think No Frills Brand from years gone by. The fact that its $19.00 a pound versus $2.89 a pound is really immaterial to a point. If you want to pay a high price to cover advertising and marketing then go ahead. It doesn't make the coffee better. There was a time when I really enjoyed the taste of Dunkin Donuts coffee. Now, meh, its different! Tastes like they are using a lot more of the cheaper robusta beans. That is also the way Starbuck$ tastes to me, cheap tasting, expensive coffee.

Cafe du Monde coffee adds chicory, a plant root to its coffee to soften the bitterness. That gives it that special something taste. I happen to like Cafe du Monde on occasion.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm a personal fan of Barefoot coffee out of California. Though the Sumatra, Cafe Estima, and Mexican Shade grown coffee from Starbucks is pretty good too. (I'm working at a Starbucks to help out with the student loans, so if you have any questions about Starbucks coffee, shoot me a PM)

A French Press is always great, but if you'd like to try something else try buying a coffee dripper, like this or this. Automatic drips work off the same concept, but I think a regular dripper tastes much better. If you like cold coffee you might look at something like a cold dripper system like this or this (if you want to spend a bunch). It makes coffee concentrate that you can add water or milk to later at it tastes really good too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Maybe the barista above this reply can explain why Starbucks always tastes burnt?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Maybe the barista above this reply can explain why Starbucks always tastes burnt?
Starbucks likes to over roast their coffee for whatever reason. It's more noticeable on certain coffees like the Pike Place (the daily brew). Though some of the bold roast have less of a burnt taste, or I'm getting used to the flavor. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts