MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. This is my first post on here, and it's probably a dumb question, but I'm stuck. I have a 2000 Spyder with a stock 1zz, and it's misfiring on cylinder 3. I've switched around ignition coils and changed spark plugs, and I think I know what all to look at besides that. The problem is I suspect it might be the wires connecting the coils, running across the top of the motor. But I can't find a name for this specific part. I've googled every variation of ignition coil harness I can think of and I've come up with either the plug/connector itself or the entire engine wiring harness. Does this cluster of wires come out separately and have a name/ part number, or is it connected permanently to everything else in the engine bay? I apologise for a dumb question, but a few hours of Google and a headache have me stumped.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It's the complete engine harness..

When you swapped the coils and the Plugs.. did the Missfire Move with the Coil/Plug?..

Get a code reader that does live data.. I'd like to see where your fuel trims are..

Cap

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I swapped the #2 & 3 coils with the old seals and it stayed at 3, then changed all my spark plugs, and it's the same. I only had a cheap code reader to test it, but I just picked up a new, better one from a buddy. Once I figure out what all it does, I can see about getting live data.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Best way to get live data is with an OBD II Bluetooth adapter and the Torque Pro app for Android. I'm sure there's an iOS alternative. A quality reader is $25 (don't cheap out here) and the app is a few bucks but it's the ultimate tool.

I'm getting an occasional cylinder 1 misfire code. No actual misfire, usually at cruising the code pops up once every 2-5 weeks. Fresh plugs, fresh Denso coils, relatively fresh Denso O2 sensors. Pretty sure it's just a dirty injector after 153k miles.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got an Actron cp9580a which says it displays live data. I need to get familiar with it tonight, but I can try to read the car tomorrow morning before work and give you what I find.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Be sure to check the pending codes as well, sometimes misfire codes come up as a general misfire....then take longer to show the individual cylinders so it can make diagnosing it when you move the coil pack around annoying (I’m assuming you cleared the code after swapping the coil packs).

·
Registered
49 Posts
The wiring going to the coils is part of the full engine harness. I noticed the leads going to coil connectors were all pretty brittle on my 1zz. Nothing was broken but I could see it being an issues. Easy enough to carefully check the wires on the top of the valve cover for broken leads. If it doesn’t seem to be a problem visually and youve gone through all the easy possibilities, a multimeter should make pretty quick work of ruling out a harness problem. You got a key on 12v, ground, shared feedback signal, and trigger. The trigger is the hardest one to to check because it goes to the ecu so you will have to pull all the trim out to get to the ecu connectors.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so I have an update. I'm not sure the scanner is reading the fuel trims correctly, because they're coming back at a steady zero. However, just to cross another thing off my list, I switch fuel injectors between #3 (bad cylinder) and #1, ran the scanner 3 times and the only thing to come back was p301. So it looks like all that was wrong was a fuel injector. I'm going to replace the injector on my next day off and hopefully find the car running smoothly after that. Thank you guys for responding, and wish me luck!

Edit: I thought this went up hours ago, but it didn't go through. But thank you guys for all your help!

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the short term fuel trim, and it was a steady zero. Where do you recommend getting the injectors from if I can't clean it out?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The only way to get a steady zero on fuel trims is..

1) No Fuel trims are actually being received by the Scanner
2) You have a PPE Exhaust that is only using ONE O2 Sensor, and the O2 Sig is 'Split' Between the Two Inputs.. That I have witnessed a Zero Fuel Trim on Long and Short Trims on BOTH Banks..

Cap

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd guess my scanner wasn't actually reading them. I'll try it again after I've replaced the injectors. I don't want to run the car too much with it's misfire, bit I'll have all the time in the world to figure it out afterwards. I'm hoping to fix it on Friday, and then I can try to get some actual results for you guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts