• Tein Flex

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Cusco Street Zero A

Votes: 0 0.0%

Coilover Question and Supporting Mods

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  athoese 
#1 · (Edited)
Good day mates,

Here is my situation. I have an '02 MR2, it is my main car in the summer, I use it for commuting as well as track days (~10 sessions of 15 minutes per season). I have the full Cusco underbody bracing installed at the moment.

I'm undecided between the Tein Flex and Cusco Street Zero A coilovers. The Teins are cheaper, and I'm aware that both options are not the top of the line option but they fit my budget. Will I regret going for Tein Flex coilovers over the Cuscos? I feel like Cusco has better build quality, they have strong anti-corrosion processes at the factory (from what I read).

I plan on lowering the car slightly (maybe 1" Front, 0.5" Rear), and making the suspension stiffer. With this mild lowering, would I need to correct the roll center with items such as aftermarket control arms and links, etc.? Admittedly I'm not too familiar with suspension mods besides the very basics.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Don't overthink about coilover. Both are similar for street driving.
Just ask to buy a set of 4/6kg (front/rear) springs rate. Above that it will be too stiff for street.

I remember NODE has installed the TEIN with EDC system. He was complaining of something about the TEIN.

My MR-S is a little bit lowered than what you have wroted and never felt something wrong while driving.
More it's lowered, more tension is sent to the lower controls arms and lower balls joints.
For very lowered car : Rc Ball Joint Toyota Mr2 Mr-S/ Vios/Yaris/Vitz Hardrace 7780

#3 ·
I remember NODE has installed the TEIN with EDC system. He was complaining of something about the TEIN.
The ride is good, the handling is great, the quality is questionable for the TEIN. Only reason to buy them over eBay coil overs is the rebuild option and the EDFC capability. Honestly, Megan Racing is better quality these days. Know that the TEIN damping range is designed for low profile (like 17") wheels. It will be quite comfortable on 15" wheels. I'm half satisfied with the TEIN setup. Mainly because of the EDFC Active Pro. Being able to hit the instant chassis adjust button approaching a bumpy road and have all the travel the Flex Z offers is AMAZING!

#6 ·
Interesting. The Monosport seems a bit over my budget, I'm looking for something around 1500$ USD.

I'm considering the Teins, but it looks like Node's experience wasn't the best. I'm not the type to fiddle with them too much (no garage, cold weather) so it would basically be "set and forget" for me. Wondering if Cusco Street Zero A are worth the extra 500$ or so.

Does anyone think no roll center correction is needed for such a mild drop? Could the RC ball joints Funnyman graciously linked fix any woes related to lowering?

Thanks for your help!

#11 ·
Interesting. The Monosport seems a bit over my budget, I'm looking for something around 1500$ USD.

I'm considering the Teins, but it looks like Node's experience wasn't the best. I'm not the type to fiddle with them too much (no garage, cold weather) so it would basically be "set and forget" for me. Wondering if Cusco Street Zero A are worth the extra 500$ or so.

Does anyone think no roll center correction is needed for such a mild drop? Could the RC ball joints Funnyman graciously linked fix any woes related to lowering?

Thanks for your help!
You should be able to get Mono Sports for less than $1500. They are around ¥180k which is ~$1300 plus figure in shipping etc will likely be right around $1500. I think Sacklunch went through Jesse Streeter who specializes in importing car parts from Japan. I’ve been thinking about going that route.

#10 ·
We have run lowering springs that lower more than your target. While that does change the roll centers, it isn't an issue. You may just need to set the static camber more to the negative limits of the OEM tolerance range.

#14 ·
I have experience with a lot of different chassis and suspensions and the most important thing is the valving of the shock. It is more important than spring rate. I have been in cars with soft springs and crap valving and it rides like crap. I have been in crap valving and high spring rates which is even worse. Great valving and higher spring rates ride great.

Most coil overs have crap valving IMO. that is the majority of what is sold on the markets like most everyone recommends. Only a few companies that make great products but unfortunately cost a lot of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.