MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i've been researching this for a while now and the more I research the more i'm torn. Let me start by stating that my car is a Daily Driver and that I only plan to do a few track days a year (if any at that).I want something that will increase this cars handling as I do love to go for "spirited" drives quite often. So I need your guys' input on this. I have been looking through thread after thread of coilovers and I can't seem to settle on a single one.

Ksport Kontrol
http://www.raceinspired.com/p-15141-ksport-kontrol-pro-coilover-damper-kit-toyota-mr2-spyder-zzw30-2000-2006.aspx?affiliateid=10065

BC - BR's

Blitz
http://www.rhdjapan.com/blitz-damper-zz-r-coilover-toyota-63837

Tanabe Sustec S-0C
http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail.php?vnopinum=493+1178&vt=n&vmakeid=420&vpcid=493

Silversprints/powertrix

Anyone want to chime in? I like the fact that a lot of people use Ksports and they all seem to love them, also the BC's have a nice following as well. What I haven't heard about have been the Blitz's and Tanabes. I understand that the Tanabes are fixed rate dampers so I don't have the adjustability there. But do I really need the ability to set the dampers to either hard or soft for a daily driver? How bout the Blitz? I am however also thinking about waiting for the next group buy on the powertrix. Sorry for posting another one of these threads but I really just don't know which one to pick.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My car is also a DD and I bought a set of BC racing coilovers (5k front 7K rear). If you are used to a stiff ride then it wont bother you, but they are very stiff compared to stock. IMO the benefit of having them outweigh the stiff ride.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont really mind a rough ride, I just want something that gives my car better handling but also nothing over the top in price/performance. (No point on me buying something that i'll never put to its intended use yenno?). Ohh where did you buy your set from and if you dont mind me asking how much?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If your car still has the original struts installed at the factory, they almost certainly need replacement.
CoilOvers will definitely improve the handling, but new stock struts *may* satisfy your needs.
You now have more to think about!

·
Registered
937 Posts
sorry to hijack your thread, but has anyone used the D2 RS coilovers?

was thinking about those or the BC's.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dont really mind a rough ride, I just want something that gives my car better handling but also nothing over the top in price/performance. (No point on me buying something that i'll never put to its intended use yenno?). Ohh where did you buy your set from and if you dont mind me asking how much?
I bought mine from bcracingsuperstore.com. They were 999 and free shipping, you will have to ask them what different spring rates you can get, if you can get softer springs then it would be better for DD, However the springs that come standard on them are great for autocross IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car still has the original struts installed at the factory, they almost certainly need replacement.
CoilOvers will definitely improve the handling, but new stock struts *may* satisfy your needs.
You now have more to think about!:lol:
Great....:lol: but new struts are not part of the equation. And yes, the original struts that were installed from the factory are still on, just today the original 040's finally decided to blow on my way to work =/. Nearly 9 years and 54,000 miles later.. So now I have a set of S.drives in my immediate future and also now want to replace the Struts with coils (leaning towards Tanabes, Blitz, or BC BR).

·
Registered
614 Posts
Silversprints coil's there is no other option now that he came out with his. If you must I would go KW as an alternative.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can I please ask which direction you went in with your coilover upgrade? I'm running a 2001 Spyder with 52K miles on the original suspension and am contemplating the Powertrix coilovers as an upgrade (but with sensible spring rates as it's my DD). Would such coilovers offer significantly improved road handling or are they much more suited to a trackday/autocross car?

What's the typical lifespan of the stock struts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am actually waiting for the next GB of the powertrix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts