MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted this in modified magazine. I think it would leave no reason to buy a Miata. (maybe price?)

"There is a great deal of buzz surrounding comments made by Toyota GT 86/ Scion FR-S lead designer Tetsuya Tada during a sit-down with German automotive publication Autobild. In his comments Tada revealed that the automaker is working on a drop-top model of the seductive coupe. In fact, he went so far as to say the vehicle was designed as a convertible from conception. A drop top in Scion’s portfolio should go over well, and the FR-S would be the ultimate candidate."

Read more: http://www.modified.com/news/modp-1206-topless-fr-s-in-the-works/index.html#ixzz1wbfel3LB

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
I dislike convertibles. But I like this. I like this a lot. That's very good looking. I like the profile this creates, in particular the nice bulgy haunches in the rear. This will probably take the place of the z4 from the top my "convertibles I actually like" list.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I spotted this in modified magazine. I think it would leave no reason to buy a Miata. (maybe price?)

"There is a great deal of buzz surrounding comments made by Toyota GT 86/ Scion FR-S lead designer Tetsuya Tada during a sit-down with German automotive publication Autobild. In his comments Tada revealed that the automaker is working on a drop-top model of the seductive coupe. In fact, he went so far as to say the vehicle was designed as a convertible from conception. A drop top in Scion’s portfolio should go over well, and the FR-S would be the ultimate candidate."

Read more: http://www.modified.com/news/modp-1206-topless-fr-s-in-the-works/index.html#ixzz1wbfel3LB
Other than the Miata being lighter and having a better suspension layout. The convertible FR-S does look nice though, although I think its main appeal is that it's a coupe.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
It is a nice looking car and would seem to be a no brainer from a marketing standpoint but I would still go for the coupe if I was to let go of my Spyder Coupe.....which is unlikely.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The next MX5 is supposed to be going back to being smaller and lighter than what it has become in it's last version. Interesting time for someone who likes small, light cars!!

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
Other than the Miata being lighter and having a better suspension layout. The convertible FR-S does look nice though, although I think its main appeal is that it's a coupe.
A grand sport NC miata now weighs about 2600lbs. That's what mine weighed.

The stock miata suspension only looks great on paper. In reality it's too soft for the track and still to hard for the street. However a good set of coilovers will improve handling a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.