MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo.. I recently replaced the convertible top on my 2000 Spyder. What an ordeal that was. I purchased a new top (top end fabric from Sierra Tops (Autotopsdirect.com) on Amazon. The top is magnificent and beautiful but came without even a shipping document saying what I'd purchased (for $649)...I decided to install it myself instead of paying a local installer $1200. That was a blessing and a curse, because it was a B*TCH!! Good news is, I did it, and I learned a LOT about the car in the process! While I had the whole thing torn out, I took advantage of the opportunity to run some wiring from front to back on my front/rear cameras for my stereo head unit as well as a very loud horn to replace the "prius-class" horn that came stock... Onward to the top replacement... As much of a PITA as it was, I'm very glad I did it myself, as I learned everything needed to know about the mechanism of the top, and how to best maintain it. And... the new top looks AMAZING on it! In retrospect, I would pay the $1200 for professional install if I had such funds laying around, but I was able to do it myself, and I'm glad I did. If you replace your top, make sure you take LOTS of photos as you disassemble it, and pay the cost of getting the best quality replacement available! My original top was 19 years old, and I expect my replacement top to outlast ME.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I agree, if my top needs to be replaced I will not do it again. The more pictures the better and keeping the pieces organized helps. Fabric really looks much better IMHO but top down is the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I disassembled, I used zipock bags and a marker to keep all nuts/bolts/fasteners in their respective groups (wrote where they go on the ziplock bag and taped it to the appropriate pieces with painter's tape). That helped IMMENSELY. The new top (highest grade offered by Sierra/AutoTopsDirect) is fabric and looks fantastic. Waiting on the stretching to finish before doing final small adjustments to make sure no leaks/gaps anywhere. The new top cost $640 and went on very nicely. I didn't have anywhere near the trouble I expected with the front two corners (and the old top was a bear to get off of the front two corners - I ended up just tearing the corner seams since I was trashing it anyway). Latching it in place was rough, but still not as rough as I expected. Definitely a two-person part of the process if available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sooo.. I recently replaced the convertible top on my 2000 Spyder. What an ordeal that was. I purchased a new top (top end fabric from Sierra Tops (Autotopsdirect.com) on Amazon. The top is magnificent and beautiful but came without even a shipping document saying what I'd purchased (for $649)...I decided to install it myself instead of paying a local installer $1200. .
I'm also looking to replace the top on my newly purchased 03 Spyder (the previous owner attempted to re-glue the rear window but it didn't last), and change it from a white/tan colour scheme to white/black.
I've read a bunch of reviews and better business bureau sites about AutoTopsDirect.com and it turned me off purchasing from them at all, glad you had a good experience but interested to hear if anyone else has used them successfully or otherwise!
At the moment I'm looking at either providing my own and having a local, well-reputed place put it on for $790, or they supply the top, put it on, and warranty it for $1606.. Fair chunk of cash but I don't have a garage (or likely the skills) to do it myself.
I'm in MD, USA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same,
I am in the process of purchasing and replacing mine as well. I was surprised at the total cost of this for my '00 Spyder. But, your information helps, and I'm probably just going to pay someone to do it. I don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
If anyone is in or near the NYC area, I can replace your top for an easy $550 and one day with the car. I've done 4 tops now. Oh its a real pita but gets easier when you've done a few.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts