MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 MR2 and need to replace the soft top:(....was contemplating upgrading to canvas vs original factory material? Has anyone purchased a top from The Convertible Guys and if so which top/package did you purchase.

·
1,823 Posts
I was in the same situation as you after I got my spyder. There are plenty of threads on here if you search.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
To make this quick and to the point. Cloth looks better a little more cashola though. It can be done by yourself if you are that type.

Me, I bought a cloth top off of ebay for $550 and paid a PROFESSIONAL $450 for the install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Half of the problem solved. Will definitely go with the canvas top.
Not sure where to buy yet or what quality of canvas, maybe German
type I've read they are the best?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also have a question about replacing the top if OP doesn't mind the minor thread jack. Is it possible to repair the actual soft top frame? There's been some damage to my drivers side frame and I'm wondering if it's possible to replace just that piece. It's hard to describe but I guess I'd describe it as the weatherstrip like piece that comes in contact with the drivers window.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I also have a question about replacing the top if OP doesn't mind the minor thread jack. Is it possible to repair the actual soft top frame? There's been some damage to my drivers side frame and I'm wondering if it's possible to replace just that piece. It's hard to describe but I guess I'd describe it as the weatherstrip like piece that comes in contact with the drivers window.
You can buy those window trims from toyota. Actual frame probably not :lol:

I just self installed an EZ-On top bought on ebay for ~500. Wasn't too hard at all... if you have the super secret install dvd some of us have. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can buy those window trims from toyota. Actual frame probably not :lol:

I just self installed an EZ-On top bought on ebay for ~500. Wasn't too hard at all... if you have the super secret install dvd some of us have. :lol::lol:
I think it's just one of those window trim pieces, I'll take some photos and post em up to see what you guys think. thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whats the difference?

I am in dire need of a top replacement.

My question is similar to OPs - what type of material... Given the feedback that I've seen - it seems theres a lot of experience with ezon replacement tops.

They have 3 types of Haartz material available:

1. cabriolet grain vinyl (most affordable)
2. stayfast (I believe this is what is billed a OEM)
3. twillfast (I think this is similar to the German canvas - goes by sonnenland - I don't see this being sold on ebay - save for the starfish dude from BKK - who I believe is on this board)

I am looking for feedback to the twillfast material. Does is really provide better acoustic 'enhancements'/dampening?

Just to contribute a little to the thread - in my research, I came across convertibletopguys.com. They're a little pricier than the ebay stuff but they do customize.

In a moment of inspiration, I fired off an email asking...if they can install a transparent section to the top - effectively making it a 'moonroof'.

Before I proceed on - yes, I read the thread about the one guy who asked about putting in a moonroof on his spyder and got hell for it. All I can say is haters can go hate - I don't give a flying fig.

Back on topic - THEY ARE WILLING TO DO IT! For an additional $275 (on top of $50 shipping and $699 and up for the base). I understand that the willingness to do it is different from the ability to actually doing it well - but if for some reason you needed to get your convertible top moonroof freak on - you're welcome internet!

So your thoughts are well appreciated with regards to the first topic (what type of material - using duct tape is getting expensive ^_^) - your opinions on the second - well - I'd say... GET OFF MY LAWN! :lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts
1. cabriolet grain vinyl (most affordable)
2. stayfast (I believe this is what is billed a OEM)
3. twillfast (I think this is similar to the German canvas - goes by sonnenland - I don't see this being sold on ebay - save for the starfish dude from BKK - who I believe is on this board)
1 vinyl is OEM, most affordable
2 stayfast is cloth - looks much better IMO. I got an EZTOP one. It did not fold down quite correctly, but I was able to handle it. My wife f'ed it up by trying to force it down. I was able to fix the bent fram, and bend at the hinges so that it folds easily now. There is a loose piece now, right by the "ear strap", I think a little glue will fix it.
3 Twillfast is another cloth, suppose to be the best - I can't comment on that

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the feedback NHinNC! A couple of clarifications if you don't mind...

What do you mean It did not fold down correctly? Was it too tight on the frame to begin with?

Also, ezon sells stayfast as 'acoustically enhanced'. Did you notice if the cabin 'quieted' down?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts