MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'03 MR2 Spyder * '10 128i * '14 4Runner SR5
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for some solid info. I've searched these boards, as well as the general internet, and am getting all kinds of different info on coolant flushes.

First, type: my manual says to use Super Long Life Coolant for my 2003, which I thought was the pink stuff, and which one source says wasn't even available until 2004. I see a lot of people say to use the red stuff, which I thought was Long Life Coolant.

Second, is interval. My maintenance guide says every 30K miles, which seems extremely short for SLLC. My '14 4Runner uses SLCC and doesn't get its first flush until 100K miles (and I believe every 50K miles thereafter). I guess if I use the LLC coolant, the interval would be shorter, but is it really 30K? Some sources say 60K, so I'm all kinds of confused...

Also, how much should I need? Capacity is 10.4 liters, but I imagine I won't be getting that much out. Would two gallons of premixed be good, or should I get three to be safe?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Like you found out everybody has an opinion ..... some use toyota red only others use pink . I use Zerex asain , it's red . I'd get 3 gallons if it's premixed . I do it when I change the engine out ..;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Prestone with "Corguard" is an excellent coolant for use in modern Toyotas. If you search you can find an SAE technical paper on the coolant that includes their comparison to the OEM coolant.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Last year I had my local Toyota dealership drain and flush my cooling system. I never had any issues, but I felt that after 17+ years, it was about time. I researched (older or antique) cars for ideas, but never found anything. Most people would say to change coolant sooner, but if the color is fine, no odd smells, no crystallization and no leaks anywhere in the system, then why bother?

·
Premium Member
'03 MR2 Spyder * '10 128i * '14 4Runner SR5
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last year I had my local Toyota dealership drain and flush my cooling system. I never had any issues, but I felt that after 17+ years, it was about time. I researched (older or antique) cars for ideas, but never found anything. Most people would say to change coolant sooner, but if the color is fine, no odd smells, no crystallization and no leaks anywhere in the system, then why bother?
Your coolant will change pH (become more acidic) over time and ideally you want to change it before then. However, newer technologies in both fluids and materials of cooling systems have increased this interval. I change the coolant in my BMW every 2 years, but those cars are notorious for cooling system failures and it seems to correlate to poor maintenance. I think with the MR2 I will stick with Toyota's recommendation of every 30,000 miles. I might also pick up some of those coolant test strips, but I typically err on the side of caution when it comes to maintenance and to be honest I sort of enjoy the routine of it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Changes to pH levels may change, but when does it become detrimental to the engine/cooling system. I bet it would be a long time. I spoke to numerous coolant representatives at a recent SEMA show and none had a good answer, except please use their brand. And from what I've read, the primary cooling/overheat issue with MR2s is caused by not bleeding the system of air pockets after the coolant change. You won't have that issue in your BMW.

Guys like me that don't drive the car a lot are frequently caught up in the time vs. mileage question. If you talk to any antique or guys with "hobby cars", please ask them what they do and post their answers. It should be interesting.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Like you found out everybody has an opinion ..... some use toyota red only others use pink . I use Zerex asain , it's red . I'd get 3 gallons if it's premixed . I do it when I change the engine out ..;)
Our years/make/model cars are a little unique. What I've determined is that we can use Red or Pink or even the Zerex Asian because the cooling system in our cars is more modern with no issues related to delicate seals/gaskets that cannot handle HOAT, etc. These systems do not have any copper/brass/lead like some previous Toyota's (euro/jap/US cars) had. Per Phattires, the greatest detriment is the driver. If you drive little and hard, replace more often (say 30k). If you drive light and daily go closer to 60k. Everything in between is relevant to your willingness and driving style/type. IMHO.
I daily and moderate. I did the Phattires change and to pink at 50k. Next round I've planned for summer 2021 and it will be red. But only because the red is easier to store since it is concentrate.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hoping for some solid info. I've searched these boards, as well as the general internet, and am getting all kinds of different info on coolant flushes.

First, type: my manual says to use Super Long Life Coolant for my 2003, which I thought was the pink stuff, and which one source says wasn't even available until 2004. I see a lot of people say to use the red stuff, which I thought was Long Life Coolant.

Second, is interval. My maintenance guide says every 30K miles, which seems extremely short for SLLC. My '14 4Runner uses SLCC and doesn't get its first flush until 100K miles (and I believe every 50K miles thereafter). I guess if I use the LLC coolant, the interval would be shorter, but is it really 30K? Some sources say 60K, so I'm all kinds of confused...

Also, how much should I need? Capacity is 10.4 liters, but I imagine I won't be getting that much out. Would two gallons of premixed be good, or should I get three to be safe?
The newer coolant types have anti-corrosive additives called Organic Acid Technology or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (OAT of HOAT) and are different from the old green coolant with silicates. The OAT and HOAT coolants are truly good for 10 years in service, unlike the old stuff that would start to corrode the metal in your engine and radiator after 3 or 4 years. Prestone published a nice SAE paper on their new Corguard formulation (which is what I use), though I can't find a fee link to it. Some of the information is here: https://prestone.com/application/files/substantiation/external_police_fleet_tests.pdf

·
Registered
877 Posts
Pink and red are both OAT (organic acid technology) coolants. Toyota claims 50K miles / 5 years for red and 100K miles / 10 years for pink. I use red in all my toyotas - you can use red in a car that originally came with pink if you obey the shorter maintenance interval. Also the time limit can be extended for cars that don’t see a lot of hard service especially big temperature fluctuations - there are services that will do testing for you to see if it needs changing or not.

Red is about half the price as it is the same $ per jug but is not premixed. Make sure you mix with distilled water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts