MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a CEL for coolant temp to low to go into closed loop after a few miles everytime I drive my Spyder. I just bought it last week and it wasn't on during the short test drive. I went to the gas station maybe 1/4 mile from the meet up spot(Lowe's). About a mile from there the CEL came on. Did a scan the next morning finding that code. I called the previous owner two days later,he said he'd "never had that problem, which I find hard to believe.The coolant level is correct, the temp needle reads slightly below the middle and the car has a great heater. Anyone have an idea what's causing this code, or the coolant not coming to temp fast enough?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either a bad thermostat or bad temp sensor
I'm thinking thermostat. I drove it to work today, of course, running the heater. On turn in at low RPM the heater blew VERY hot but while cruising down the road was much cooler. Not cold, just cooler than the blow dryer heat during low RPM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm scheduled at my indie to have the thermostat changed and system flushed early next Wednesday (Nov. 20).

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
NOPE.. if it's a 125 Code, that is a Bad O2 Sensor ( Believe it or not.. search and you will find it ) If I remember it's the Pass Side O2.. But change them both..

Cap

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NOPE.. if it's a 125 Code, that is a Bad O2 Sensor ( Believe it or not.. search and you will find it ) If I remember it's the Pass Side O2.. But change them both..

Cap
It is indeed a code 125. If it's an O2 how does that effect the temp variation in the heater between idle and cruising RPM? There is a BIG difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Cap
Would the header becausing the sensor to read improperly? Headers she'd heat faster than a stock manifold.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I can't find the 3rd O2 on my exhaust. Only the two in the header right off the engine. Would this have anything to do with my CEL issue

·
Registered
592 Posts
Also, I can't find the 3rd O2 on my exhaust. Only the two in the header right off the engine. Would this have anything to do with my CEL issue

3rd one is downstream. Lay down by the rear driver side wheel and look up inside between the muffler tip and the wheel. Can’t miss it. Might have to unbutton your diaper to see it. not sure because I don’t run diapers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3rd one is downstream. Lay down by the rear driver side wheel and look up inside between the muffler tip and the wheel. Can’t miss it. Might have to unbutton your diaper to see it. not sure because I don’t run diapers.
Found it! Thank you.
IMG_20191114_165538571.jpg

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
The 125 is a complaint by the ECU that an O2 Sensor is not giving a Proper Voltage Sig to be able to reliability use..

The Corolla/Celica/Spyder all call the 125 code when this happens.. BUT the SAE for the 125 is a Cold Water temp.. Not sure where in Translation this happens, ( If it's a Toyota thing, or the Logic in the SAE OBD2 Software ) but it's wrong..

If you watch the Voltage coming off of the B1S1 O2 Sensor, it never gets above .1 Volt.. It can be Caused by a MASSIVE exhaust leak, or a Flaky O2 Sensor..

Cap

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 125 is a complaint by the ECU that an O2 Sensor is not giving a Proper Voltage Sig to be able to reliability use..

The Corolla/Celica/Spyder all call the 125 code when this happens.. BUT the SAE for the 125 is a Cold Water temp.. Not sure where in Translation this happens, ( If it's a Toyota thing, or the Logic in the SAE OBD2 Software ) but it's wrong..

If you watch the Voltage coming off of the B1S1 O2 Sensor, it never gets above .1 Volt.. It can be Caused by a MASSIVE exhaust leak, or a Flaky O2 Sensor..

Cap
Ah ok, I understand. I've ordered two new sensors. They'll be here by next Wednesday, ironically the day by appt was for the thermostat. Thanks Cap for the big money saver.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I've set my hair on fire a few times already about the P0125 code. It is a sucker code intended to test your knowledge of Toyota trivia and punish your ignorance. You will chase your tail swapping the thermostat, the temperature sensor, replacing the water pump, et cetera, to no avail. P0125 has positively nothing to do with the coolant temperature. Read this and weep.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
They could be unrelated. Just because you have a tired O2 sensor doesn't mean that your thermostat can't be stuck open also.
rmeller, you seem to be missing the point. The repair manual states unequivocally that P0125 has no connection to the coolant system. It is an O2 sensor code pure and simple. I've excerpted the troubleshooting chart. Please read the attacment in my previous post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rmeller, you seem to be missing the point. The repair manual states unequivocally that P0125 has no connection to the coolant system. It is an O2 sensor code pure and simple. I've excerpted the troubleshooting chart. Please read the attacment in my previous post.

View attachment 74575
I think he was referring to how my heater blows VERY hot at low RPM/idle but just warm enough while at cruising RPM. This condition, IMO, shows that the thermostat is open a little to much allowing to much cool coolant from the radiator.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts