MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mere days away from installing coil overs and cutting substantially more weight out of my Spyder. So, to get an idea where I am as far as balance I filled up the fuel tank to the very top and purchased some scales. Now, I happen to know the rough weight of my car so I had a very high level of confidence that 650 LB capacity would do just fine.

These scales are available for $42 each shipped from eBay. They operate on either AC or 4xAA batteries each and are available in various ranges. So, take care to order the right capacity for your car!!!!!

Output device Rectangle Table Home appliance Wood

When the scales came in I was actually surprised by the quality packaging and self centering floating legs (perfect for shifting loads when jacking a car).
Audio equipment Gadget Mobile phone Gas Cable

I noted that an offset of 0.2 LBS showed up on one of the scales after a few hundred pounds was placed on it. Could have been due to slight movement on the floor when I placed the car on them. But, in general the scales settled out quickly and stabilized much faster than I expected. Within about 10 seconds!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Gas Bumper

Note that these were NOT leveled and I did not load, unload, tare and reload. So accuracy could probably be better. I also did not give them time to warm up and stabilize. Though, there seemed to be no drift. So I am quite happy. Can you tell what side of the car the engine is on?

Product Measuring instrument Material property Font Technology

The scales seem to be reasonably accurate on the low end too. According to Willwood this should be 4.3 LBS and this is after the scale just had 600 LBS on it.
Corded phone Audio equipment Gadget Gas Communication Device

The corner balance with the full tank turned out like this for the unlevel floor on the OE springs with KYB black struts. I am really hopeful that by next weekend I can have the chassis under 2000 lbs full wet! But we will see. Really, at this point what is important is the balance. Kinda cool how it is almost dead nuts 40/60 split.

Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Naval architecture Motor vehicle Slope

· Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ideally, corner balancing should be done with the driver in place as well.
Trying to get me to post my post holidays mass before personal weight reduction are we?

The coilovers get here tomorrow. Ill go get some sandbags in my aspirational weight or feed my daughter several gallons of ice cream so she can sit in the drivers seat when I take the measurements.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I have the exact same scales and the same positive experience/opinion.

Have a bit more of a challenge with the ground/level so the corner weights are a bit off, but the total remains the total.

2050 lbs incl FULL TANK is véry neat already btw. so chapeau (y)

· Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a set of those scales thanks to y'all's recommendations... Now to weigh and corner balance all the light cars in my friend group. Had to tell them no pig fat 2300+ lb cars though :p
You could double up the scales on the heavy end of the car with 2x4 boards. Moving the scales is a PITA but it would get the job done. I want to be able to adjust the suspension quickly so I bought 4 scales.

Please post back here after your initial weigh in.

· Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw Node, where did you get that cool graph from?
I'm not sure if sarcasm has trouble crossing the ocean or if you're actually interested but that is a spreadsheet it took 3 min to create.

I'll share a link here if you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts