MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Try not to do that. There is really no reason for doing that kind of mod. Like T-Bone said, there are so many cheap oem and aftermarket manifolds design for our cars. I can sell you mine for a reasonable price. It's decatted and painted. It's just sitting in my garage. Pm if you're interested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wondering too.

why you would want to do this with so many OEM headers and aftermarket flavors sitting around
I am nervous about removing my pre cat...I just wanted to get one with no PC on it. Corolla's are a dime a dozen at the junkyard so it would be cheaper and safer than getting a new/used or gutting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen ebay pre-catless manifolds for like $65 new. I mean, you might be able to get a junkyard one cheaper, but IMO it wouldn't be cheaper enough to stand in 100 degree heat and pull it off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe the car is only "worthy" of a junkyard part? Maybe this guy got nailed by the bad economy and can only afford a junkyard part?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
For the effort of pulling a manifold and a 2 dollar yard fee just buy a gutted OEM header if this is your goal they should go for about 40 bucks.

splurge and get a che. The issue will be using the support hangers which are currently holding the weight of you current header. if you do not use them your will get header and down pipe damage. my guess is that the corolla header will have different mounting points
I'm trying to purchase the che this friday because I too would like to avoid this pre cat issue. I would think if you had enough knowledge to go to a junk yard and effectively pull the manifold from a carolla, and attempt to swap it on your own car, wouldn't you be able to gut the pre cats from your car yourself? There are a few good detailed guides on how to get the job done. That seems to be the best price effective route your looking for. Even if you were going to grab a friend and bring them to the junk yard and work on your car, I'm sure showing them the guide would well instruct them on what needs to be done to effectively gut precats. Still, if you are able to save a little, I would go with the che headers. I would think swapping from the carolla would either work okay, or give you more problems down the road than leaving in the precats.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
I seriously doubt a corolla header would fit the stock MR2 Spyder downpipe and to do the welding to get it to fit would be a purpose defeater.
And it will cost much more to do it. Gutting is almost free as long as you don't strip a bolt.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Maybe the car is only "worthy" of a junkyard part? Maybe this guy got nailed by the bad economy and can only afford a junkyard part?
They he will ultimately end up in a ditch trying to upkeep the car to safe standards.
Maybe not the header but when he purchases tire and suspension components.

This maybe a cheap car to buy and maintain but some people are beyond cheap and then expect the car to perform when it's only as good as it's weakest link. Shoddy work and questionable junk yard parts is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
.... I would think if you had enough knowledge to go to a junk yard and effectively pull the manifold from a carolla, and attempt to swap it on your own car, wouldn't you be able to gut the pre cats from your car yourself? .

SARCASM ALERT: Maybe O.P. is concerned with epa and fed. standards? Afterall, a corolla manifold is legal, but gutted MR2 precats? That is a federal offense!:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SARCASM ALERT: Maybe O.P. is concerned with epa and fed. standards? Afterall, a corolla manifold is legal, but gutted MR2 precats? That is a federal offense!:eek:
Thanks for the input. Although I think junkyards are fine if you know what you're doing. And compared to smashing the inside of a catalytic converter with a screwdriver it does not pale too much! I was really just curious if that would be an option. I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge as I am new to the asian auto world. :cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I want to make a corolla header swap in mr-s. reason of that is 4-1 manifold system not 4-2. I want to make a custom exhaust.
Is it fit ok on mr-s 1zz-fe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts