MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Craft Beer person here. Call me stupid and naive, but just like Three Daughters in Florida, why can't more breweries start making a hand sanitizer? It would greatly alleviate the current problem of it not being available almost everywhere (and the hoarders selling them at $20 a pop). It could be distributed to medical personnel, first responders and and finally the general public.

Maybe then we could get out and drive our Spyders a little bit more.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just use rubbing alcohol. That is the active ingredient. I think that the only real difference is convenient dispensation.

Soap or detergent is good too. This virus just happens to have a lipid component in its shell, and surfactants will turn the little buggers inside out.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Cant find the alcohol. I'm a pharmacist and the CDC sent a specific easy formula for any pharmacy to make it. The issue is a massive shortage in alcohol. A brewery would first need to make huge batches of ethanol or isopropyl before they can make sanitizer. I bought several gallons from a veterinary warehouse but that wont last long.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would, except rubbing alcohol is also being horded. I guess I could use Bacardi 151 or Everclear as they are both over 120 proof. Hot water/soap is not always available. I like to disinfect my hands before I walk into a grocery store and when I walk out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, I'm not going to share my hoard of Everclear 192pf.
That's my basic ingredient for home made (legal) Apple Pie shine

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Lots of big breweries (Labatts for one)in Canada here are making alcoholic batches of hand sanitizer for use in hospitals and make shift clinics.

It really is a good idea

·
Registered
19 Posts
The distilleries here in VA have been switching over. Does brewery equipment lend itself to distillation?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You need a still, and that is a major investment. I visited a distillery once, and their still was enormous.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You need a still, and that is a major investment. I visited a distillery once, and their still was enormous.
It doesn't cost that much to make a basic still using a pressure cooker, copper tubing,old wooden barrel and a few other odds & ends. It won't make that much due to the size of the pressure cooker. Time learning how to do it correctly, and secretly, is a major issue. It's something you don't want to get caught doing without a license.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts