MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
The C4 was cool, if not for any other reason than it was so ridiculous and so noticeable that it had to be cool. Sort of a Suburu STi with gold BBS effect.

But the new one just looks like a mildly tarted up C6. The extra cash for this snazzy wheel package would go a long way toward supercharging a regular C6, which already looks pretty good.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
But the new one just looks like a mildly tarted up C6. The extra cash for this snazzy wheel package would go a long way toward supercharging a regular C6, which already looks pretty good.
The new grandsport package is a little more than just wheels, it includes the z06 brake package, wider fenders front and rear, dry sump oil system and a few other options.

Truth be told though, I see almost as many vettes as accords daily, and I hate them with a passion. Then again I live in the same town as their production plant.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
You do have to respect the Corvette--supercar performance, reasonable pricing, upper 20's for highway mileage, reliability...um, well as good as any other American-made car:), loads of torque--shit, it's an American icon that has survived 5 decades, over 10 presidents, multiple fuel shortages... even General Motors (mis)management couldn't kill it... It's truly the cochroach of cars:)

My ears were perking up at the promise of a lighter-weight smaller-displacement mid-engine platform for the C7 remix... unfortunately the Gov'ment bailout meant that we were getting warmed up leftovers... I'm still interested to see what surfaces in a couple years, but I'm disappointed that we couldn't get the engine where it belongs. I'll take my Corvette V8 like this:

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
The new grandsport package is a little more than just wheels, it includes the z06 brake package, wider fenders front and rear, dry sump oil system and a few other options.
Snazzy. Wheel. Package.

even General Motors (mis)management couldn't kill it... It's truly the cochroach of cars:)
I was so shocked to find that the C6 Z06 is actually as driveable and decent as it is. You would expect it to be horrible at everything but going fast and it really isn't. It's calm and pretty cushy. Over time though, I thought about the experience in greater detail and I've come to the conclusion that the reason it is this way is because GM is so incompetent that they actually can't make a car feel tight or high strung. If Honda, or Toyota, or even VW had made that car, it would be an unmitigated disaster on public roads. The greatest engineering the human mind can produce all amounting to an intolerably harsh ride, ridiculous power curve, and suede covered rocks posing as seating apparatus.

But, put GM behind the wheel and you end up with a stonkin' big engine surrounded by a really cheap collection of parts bin crap that's just loose and flimsy enough to feel comfortable. Brilliant.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Some of the Corvettes are true muscle cars, and some are just true crap. One of my good friends had one a few years back that was true crap. My big Ford sedan that I had at that time would easily out run his new Vette. His was a really cool looking car, but gutless.

I had another friend who collected Corvettes, he had 6 or 8 of them, he wrapped one around a tree one night. Car looked like Hell, but he was unhurt, lucky devil. He had a '58 Vette which I drove, man I loved that car!

Speaking of American muscle, I really like Vipers. Just plain out raw old fashioned power and torque, no apologies.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Snazzy. Wheel. Package.

I was so shocked to find that the C6 Z06 is actually as driveable and decent as it is. You would expect it to be horrible at everything but going fast and it really isn't. It's calm and pretty cushy. Over time though, I thought about the experience in greater detail and I've come to the conclusion that the reason it is this way is because GM is so incompetent that they actually can't make a car feel tight or high strung. If Honda, or Toyota, or even VW had made that car, it would be an unmitigated disaster on public roads. The greatest engineering the human mind can produce all amounting to an intolerably harsh ride, ridiculous power curve, and suede covered rocks posing as seating apparatus.

But, put GM behind the wheel and you end up with a stonkin' big engine surrounded by a really cheap collection of parts bin crap that's just loose and flimsy enough to feel comfortable. Brilliant.
That's disappointing, but not surprising. Even companies with better reputations can't seem to get sports cars to feel right. Off the top of my head BMW and Mercedes comes to mind as being predominantly boring. Sure, some of their cars are plenty fast, but they don't feel fast. They feel lazy and detached from the road, from the driver, from the wheels, etc. Take the z3 for example. It's a relatively light weight roadster with a bighuge V6 shoe horned in the front and a weight distribution as good as it gets in a FR car. By all rights this should be the most exciting car on earth to drive. Should be, but isn't. The brakes feel soft, the steering wheel belongs on a barge, the shifting mechanism is totally soft and unobtrusive with an incredibly long throw, and the seats might as well be benches with all the lateral support they do not provide.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
I drove and almost and bought an LS3 corvette this year.

The resale value drops fairly quickly so I'm looking more at a Z51 LS3. It's performance bargain of the century.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from the corvette chassis but an Lsx in anything = major win. A Z07 on rcompounds is ridiculously fun but I wouldn't want to pay that tire bill

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
He actually owns that Grand Sport.

I thought he was just taking pictures of a random corvette in a parking lot.:lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
hmmm, why would you spend more money on a corvette C6 but not get the Z06?

Or you could hold out for a used Mosler, I wonder how those will depreciate :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
By the way, if that's yours, nice car, I'm jealous!

I bet it would do terrible things to my spyder in a drag race or around a road course :cool:

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
From a performance point of view the C5/c6 corvette is one of the best sports cars ever made by any manufacturer.

GM basically took a Le Mans dominating racecar and put a street car shell around it. Basic interior, simply suspension, cheap to own compared to other sports car in it's performance class.

If you like best performance for the money nothing even comes close to a c5/c6 corvette.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Yeah well,
It's not a SportsCar. It's a GT car.

SportsCars are for scaring yourself silly at low speed.
GT cars are for going fast with little drama.
Sports car don't go slow.

I can scare myself (or usually the wife) in a Toyota Camry doesn't make it a sports car.:lol:

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
I can do it in a Buick, but that's not a Buick's intended purpose.
True story. There was a guy in the Alfa Club that raced a stock Buick regal. He was in his Mid-eighties. I had a hard time passing him because that car was as fast as a 1zz spyder in a straight line. He really was an inspiration.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts