MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
They really flubbed up in my opinion, the Miata has now gone over 800,000 units worldwide, and it's not the car the Spyder is IMO. They shoulda/coulda done better with the marketing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Frunk should fit a mini spare and a full size piece of luggage for a trip to the airport.

·
Registered
782 Posts
They really flubbed up in my opinion, the Miata has now gone over 800,000 units worldwide, and it's not the car the Spyder is IMO. They shoulda/coulda done better with the marketing.
The miata is a little more practical, the spyder isn't for everyone as a daily. The spyder is more of a pure sports car IMO.

Devoting a factory to make a runabout slotted for 30,000 units world wide if a waste of resources.
30 000 units was the US target, they sold way more worldwide! Agree with the automatic, a lot of automatic miatas were sold (not too sure why though)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
would have been nice to see it evolve into something where the cup holders don't block my radio buttons lol

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The miata is a little more practical, the spyder isn't for everyone as a daily. The spyder is more of a pure sports car IMO.

30 000 units was the US target, they sold way more worldwide! Agree with the automatic, a lot of automatic miatas were sold (not too sure why though)
True, but 800,000 vs maybe 40,000 worldwide? Surely not 20 times more practical, right?

Of course if you use all three generations of MR2 cars the number gets better, but it does seem like they set a goal, hit it, and just moved on for whatever reason. It could be just that they thought they could make as much money with Corollas and Camrys so why bother with the extra tooling/inventory/production lines.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The only way the mr2 comes back as the "market wants it" as when it has more pawaaaar (turrrboooo), no convertible, a trunk, more pawwaaarr

sad but true

toyota gave it a lighter weight, nimble, fun sports car...market didn't quite take off, irrespective weather they should have done more marketing, it was coming off the SW20 & still imbedded in most people's minds, buying owners & the public at large.

till today, comments i've seen on this side of the world, has always been, "tsk, it should have more power". everyone, the man in the street to magazine editors. :mellow:

what do they know about handling? who cares, in fact lotus is a better handling car :( <true recollection :( :(

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
would have been nice to see it evolve into something where the cup holders don't block my radio buttons lol
The Germans had to be told to put in cup holders to sell cars here:lol:

Of course doing 145mph down the autobahn precludes the concept of needing a cup holder:cool:

I do agree that the Spyder's dysfunctional layout leaves a lot to be desired.
Then again drinking, cooling, and tunes are ancillary to driving.
The American market seems interested in ANYTHING but driving. So I must agree with Tbone that an automatic tranny was a must for volume sales in this market. That and room to put a purse.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

You don't need no steenkin' cupholders! ... They just add weight!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts