MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Can't STAND it AnyMore!! GoT To Get OUT!!

So, next week, either Tues or Wed (Aug 4 or 5) weather depending, I'm taking my 9yr old son and hitting the Dragon!

Hopefully, somewhere out there in the wide world of web someone is saying "Oh hell yea! " and the Dragon will be crawling with Spyders ;)

Hope to see ya out there!!!!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
A good drive really clears the head. A few buddies and I went for a good drive through Mines Rd here in the Bay Area, masks and social distancing when we were out of the cars and all. It was a great time, and a much needed release.

Big tip though. You're cooped up. You'll go nuts once you're out. Don't go too nuts. Don't do anything dumb, it's far too easy. Keep the kid safe!

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
54 Posts

So, next week, either Tues or Wed (Aug 4 or 5) weather depending, I'm taking my 9yr old son and hitting the Dragon!

Hopefully, somewhere out there in the wide world of web someone is saying "Oh hell yea! " and the Dragon will be crawling with Spyders ;)

I'd love to go and am hoping to try for the Fall. I just got back from The Back of the Dragon. Didn't see any other Spyders or MR2's of any kind. It was a fun ride, just need to be careful of those driving too fast beyond their ability and not staying in their lane (see attached photo of cruiser on back of rollback- bike vs. Q35 didn't end well for either vehicle and nasty injuries for the biker). Midweek and early before the speed demons get out there is a good time to try to avoid center line riders and bikers leaning their bikes over the center line. Enjoy the ride and I'm hoping the weather cooperates for you. Stay safe.
20200725_131923.jpg

·
Registered
647 Posts

I'd love to join you, I'm just dying to hit the dragon. But I can't get away during the week. I watch my two granddaughters, 7and 9, Mon thru Thur. Where are you coming from?

·
Registered
647 Posts
BGB-TOY, how was the Back of the Dragon? I've read about it but haven't had a chance to drive it yet. It looks like a great drive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Knoxville, about 30-40 minutes from the dragon. So I'm up for it anytime someone's can make it. I keep watching for groups posting that they are going, but nothing since i got my car running. But in the future, any group that comes will likely find me joining up/ tagging along :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didnt know there is a Back of the Dragon!! Guess i cant say "The Dragon" anymore. Tail... Tail... Tail of the Dragon..

"The Back" looks really kewl and not all that far. Definitely in my future!

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
54 Posts
BGB-TOY, how was the Back of the Dragon? I've read about it but haven't had a chance to drive it yet. It looks like a great drive.
The Back of the Dragon was a good drive- 32 miles long instead of the shorter Tail of the Dragon although there are a few straight sections. There are a lot of turns but not as sharp (there were a couple of switchback turns but not as many as the Tail). Both roads you just have to be careful of drivers who don't stay inside their lane/ride the center line and you need to be able to stop immediately if something happens in front of you- a lot of time without any notice (accident, deer taking a stroll, coming around a turn & bam traffic stopped...- yes, these happened on my drive). The road is marked with signs saying no vehicles over 35 feet and speed limit is 55 but there could be shorter trucks, vehicles with trailers, and drivers with a death wish that will try to go 55+ when a reasonable speed for the road is much less in my opinion (same as the Tail except the speed limit there is 35). There's only a few pull-offs so nowhere to turn around except in few spots and a couple when you get to the straight stretches. If you go, also check out Burkes Garden- the center lines on the road are faded away but it's also a nice drive if you have it to yourself like I did but I had just missed a whole group of cars a few minutes earlier (also need to watch for horse drawn buggies). It a nice view from the top of the bowl and once you get inside the valley. I want to try to plan on going back this Fall catching the Fall colors of the back and garden on the way to the tail. Hopefully I'll be able to get this to work out with my schedule.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, just in case everyone is sitting on the fence waiting for me to decide when I'm going..... (No inflated ego here... Of course it's all about me!! :) ) I'm going tomorrow (Tues 8/4) Looks like the weather will be perfect.

As I'm now diabetic, I will hoist an imaginary adult beverage in salute to all those who are out there with me in spirit!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just made this drive, and found a new (to me) campground that I'll be using again on my way back in a few days...

Today I'll be making a run up PCH to points unknown... probably go get some Tommy's chili cheese fries

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's one heck of a drive!!
It's my second trip to California in the Spyder this year. I've also driven it to Colorado a few times, and western Arkansas 5 times.

It's a great road car, it just eats up the miles. AC works great, but in the hotter sections, the black roof really absorbs a bunch of heat - but that's a small gripe.

This little "station" is in McLean, TX. They didn't have any gas though...

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
54 Posts
Ok, just in case everyone is sitting on the fence waiting for me to decide when I'm going..... (No inflated ego here... Of course it's all about me!! :) ) I'm going tomorrow (Tues 8/4) Looks like the weather will be perfect.

As I'm now diabetic, I will hoist an imaginary adult beverage in salute to all those who are out there with me in spirit!
I was wondering with Hurricane Isaias headed this way if you'd still be going It's raining, raining, raining here so hopefully it stays here for you before moving on so you can get your ride in. I'll be there with you in spirit. Enjoy the day :D

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
54 Posts
I just made this drive, and found a new (to me) campground that I'll be using again on my way back in a few days...

View attachment 77779

Today I'll be making a run up PCH to points unknown... probably go get some Tommy's chili cheese fries
So what kind of hammock are you using and does it come with A/C for hot weather? I've been thinking about trying out a hammock and see if I'd really be able to sleep in one. It would make packing for camping a lot more simplistic when driving the Spyder.

·
Registered
652 Posts
So what kind of hammock are you using and does it come with A/C for hot weather? I've been thinking about trying out a hammock and see if I'd really be able to sleep in one. It would make packing for camping a lot more simplistic when driving the Spyder.
I carry a complete hammock camping set up in the car at all times.

I have four different hammocks and all of them were purchased on Amazon for $30 or less. Lightning deals are your friend.

I have a $20 underquilt, and a $20 sleeping bag from Walmart. The tarp is a cheapo walmart job, 8' x 6', maybe $8

At 7700 feet elevation, even though the day was hot, the air cooled off very quickly when the sun went down. A breeze picked up in the evening and it was very pleasant. BUT... even at a relatively warm 65F degrees, if the air is moving you will get cold and can even get hypthermia with your ass hanging in the breeze, so to speak.

I had an incredible night's sleep. I no longer camp any other way, and the only piece of gear I'm missing is the standalone hammock frame for use when there are no good trees around. There's no amazon deal on the good ones, they're a couple hundred bucks.

I tell you this. I NEVER get a better night's sleep than with the hammock. I use one in my Sprinter when I'm travelling around the country. I hang it up INSIDE the cargo area of the van at a truck stop and sleep like a baby.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Today, I got up close and personal with BB61 USS Iowa at the Port of Los Angeles. There were only four battleships of the Iowa class produced, and now I've been on three of them. Now I just need to go up to Norfolk VA so I can get on the BB64 USS Wisconsin and complete the set.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
54 Posts
I carry a complete hammock camping set up in the car at all times.

I have four different hammocks and all of them were purchased on Amazon for $30 or less. Lightning deals are your friend.

I have a $20 underquilt, and a $20 sleeping bag from Walmart. The tarp is a cheapo walmart job, 8' x 6', maybe $8

At 7700 feet elevation, even though the day was hot, the air cooled off very quickly when the sun went down. A breeze picked up in the evening and it was very pleasant. BUT... even at a relatively warm 65F degrees, if the air is moving you will get cold and can even get hypthermia with your ass hanging in the breeze, so to speak.

I had an incredible night's sleep. I no longer camp any other way, and the only piece of gear I'm missing is the standalone hammock frame for use when there are no good trees around. There's no amazon deal on the good ones, they're a couple hundred bucks.

I tell you this. I NEVER get a better night's sleep than with the hammock. I use one in my Sprinter when I'm travelling around the country. I hang it up INSIDE the cargo area of the van at a truck stop and sleep like a baby.
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty cool idea of using the hammock inside the van- way more cost effective than having to get a room when traveling and you can stop whenever you want (y)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, as of today there is one less Honda S2000 in the world, saw it wrecked on I-405 southbound as I was Northbound in West Los Angeles on my way to get my favorite fish and chips at Andria's Seafood in Ventura Harbor.

Sea Bass, deep fried in peanut oil and covered in Samuel Adams beer batter.

And then a leisurely cruise up the road to Rincon Parkway and look for dolphins... didn't see any but still enjoyed the cool ocean breezes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was wondering with Hurricane Isaias headed this way if you'd still be going It's raining, raining, raining here so hopefully it stays here for you before moving on so you can get your ride in. I'll be there with you in spirit. Enjoy the day :D
No, no issues at all due to Isaias. Had a brief rain shower about noon, typical Smokey Mountain weather, but by that time we were in Robinsville having lunch. Made things a bit interesting afterwards with damp patches in shady areas. Nothing like a little extra grease on the roads! But all in all, had a wonderful time. Ran across a gaggle of miata's ( I did find somewhere on the net that there is a big meet Miata today and tomorrow, I guess some showed up early) Got a good look at some kind of convertible Lambo. I was drooling over this bit and that... it wasn't until later that I realized that I never noticed what model.

My son was addiment that motorcycles don't come in herds.... I kept pointing them out but he is insistent that only horses and such are herds ;)

I took 2 days off and have like 1800 emails..... If I ever work my way through them, I'll post some pics....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts