1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That is a lot of RPM's. 13 to 15K?

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Couldn't find anything about a 1zz midget engine online....the only specs I found were a 2.3 and the photos don't look anything like his. That's not to say they aren't legit...who knows. But if it's made to handle those revs, I doubt it's something you'd want to deal with in a street car.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If that's legit it's the deal of the century, so it probably isn't . . . if I had $2K in gambling money and was close by I think I'd try it . . . a little more research would be called for, of course.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, it would be a real leap of faith without seeing what is inside. The components visible all look to be new and never run. You couldn't buy a new 1zz for that price, short block yes but not long block. Unfortunately if you made the plunge the smart move would be to completely disassemble and check everything, essentially a confirming blueprint operation. Doubtful there is accompanying paperwork. Then as mentioned above, it sounds like these were built for a short life at high rpm.

Monkey wrench would probably build you one of these for 7 or 8 grand :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody noticed - his name is JoeKing, a variation on joking!

·
Registered
217 Posts
It could also be possible that that 180hp is made on race fuel of some sort, and remember thats just at the crank.... its not a huge increase over stock if it is tuned on race fuel. Not to mention most race engines are tuned for WOT so their low end and idle capability is compromised and it would have been tuned on an engine stand attached to a dyno, not in a car.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Looks to me like plain vanilla first gen non VVTi 1ZZ. Probably from a 97-99 Corolla in a junkyard looking at all the dirt and rust. Guy probably just used purple power and a pressure washer to clean them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If a 1.8 liter engine is capable of 13,000 to 15,000 rpm it's going to make a lot more hp than 180, more like 300. What a bunch of hogwash.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
raised letters on valve cover maybe a clue to a year

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
Someone should ask him to pull the valve cover and oil pan and take pics of that and post them up, that would be a clue, What does TOYORDOT stamped on the side mean?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Someone should ask him to pull the valve cover and oil pan and take pics of that and post them up, that would be a clue, What does TOYORDOT stamped on the side mean?
On factory replacement body panels, Toyota puts a sticker on them that says "Toyota R DOT" to designate it's a factory replacement part. So it may be a replacement block, but like was said above, it appears to have a non VVTi valve cover on it from a corolla.

Here's a picture of the sticker I'm talking about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts