MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing the Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper.

There is much information about the crank scraper on Kevin's site.
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Toyota.html

I am going to give you a synopsis of what it does.

As you can see from the pictures the crank scraper does a variety of things.

1. It acts as a windage tray

2. Its scrapers come close to the counter weights and rod bearing caps to capture the oil cloud that follows the crank at high revolutions. By preventing this cloud formation you can reduce the drag on the crank which in turn can free up power. Some people knife edge the crank for similar effect but just imagine the trouble and cost associated with doing so. It also returns much of the oil back to the sump quickly thereby allowing the oil to cool better and it prevents oil from hitting the crank causing aeration of the oil which can destroy the oil pump and or cause lack of lubrication. And last it can also prevent oil from entering the breather system during high Gs.

3. The unit has has directional screening which prevents the oil from splashing everywhere as its being drained. Preventing this splashing stops the oil from hitting the crank and keeps it in the pan where its needed.

4. On the underside of the unit there are two angled baffles that prevent the oil from pooling up in bays three and four during hard cornering thus keeping the pickup tube covered at all times.

In addition to all of this the scraper includes a lower pickup tube kit. The reason you need this is because the scraper is 2mm thick an to bring the pickup to the stock height it must be lowered. Fortunately Kevin includes two spacers so you can lower it 2mm lower then stock and enjoy the benefit of going lower which is a nice complement to the scraper as allows to even a greater degree of the pickup tube not being uncovered and increasing the cars ability to exceed its 1G limit.

This is the additional hardware.

1. It consists of two 2mm spacers for the pickup tube and spacers for the pickup tube arm.
2. Clay to check the depth from the pickup tube to the pan.
3. Prussian blue grease to check the clearances of the crank scraper.
4. A tube of Toyota sealant for the oil pan has to be purchased from the Toyota dealer.

Installation instructions.

When you purchase the Crank scraper it comes with detailed instructions and I will only go over a synopsis of what I did.

Oil pan removal.

It doesn't get any easier then using a paint scraper from the hardware store and hammering it in between the block and the pan.
Then all you do is push down on the scraper and it breaks the seal and the pan comes right off.

Removal of the oil pick up tube.
You want to remove the oil pickup tube and the stock windage tray if you are 2zz. Keep in mind that you will be using the crank scraper in place of the 2zz windage tray.
Simply remove the bolts that hold it and it just comes off.

Look what I found in the pick up tube. It seems that the last owner of the engine accidentally let the sealing foil from an oil bottle into the engine. Good thing I found it.

Installation of the crank scraper.

Install the crank scraper using all of the bolts for the oil pan to hold it in place. We are going to trial fit it .

As much as I would love to show you how I checked clearances on the scraper using pictures it was nearly impossible and I could not risk oil on my lenses.

Essentially what you will be doing is rotating the crank by using a 19mm socket on the crank pulley and turning it.
It is best to remove the spark plugs so that the crank spins freely but I was able to do as is because I moved it slow even though there was a little resistance. Also it is best to do it in absolute quiet as you maybe able to hear it nick the crank.

As you turn the crank shine a light up to where the scraper come close to the counter weights and bearing cap and see that it does not touch. If its so close that you cannot tell then use a feeler gauge or a big paper clip and check to see that it passes.

I had just one area which I believed was touching. I could hear it when the counter weight rotated by at its highest peak so what I did was use some of the Prussian blue grease dye and applied it to part of the crank which I thought was touching and then rotated it and let it touch the scraper.

I then removed the scraper and observed this.

You might not be able to see it but if you look at the very top of the highest point on the scraper you may see a touch of blue and that is where it touched.

So what we do is grind a little down and clean off the scraper of all metal bits and reinstall and check once more to make sure it clears.

When you have determined that it cleared you will need to remove the scraper and add the Toyota oil pan sealant on the block so we can first seal the crank scraper.
You must then place the crank scraper in position and use all of the screws to hold it in place and squeeze the sealant to form a seal and let it set for 12 hours.

At this time you can now add sealant to the pick up tube surface and the spacers. You do not need any sealant for the spacers that go on the arm.

Then add the pickup tube back on with the spacers for both the pickup tube and the arm and bolt it loose for the next 6 hours then go back and bolt it tight.
The idea behind this is so that you do not squeeze out the sealant.

After 12 hours you are ready to add the pan. First you must remove the oil pan bolts that hold the crank scraper. Now the scraper is just being held by the interior bolts and the sealant.

Before we put the pan on it is wise to check the pickup depth.

Use some aluminum foil and cover the pickup tube.

then slice a piece of the clay and measure it.

Place the clay near the opening of the pick up tube.

You will observe the clay is squashed between the the pan and the pickup tube.
When you remeasure it you will see that it has a clearance of 11mm. The minimum distance is 6mm so this is more then enough distance form the pan.

Installation of the pan.

Now all you will need to do is add a bead of the sealant around the oil pan and put it into place. Place all of the pan bolts and don't tighten tighten it too tight.
After about two hours or so go back and give the bolts its final tightening and you are done. Give the sealant at least 12 hours before you add oil and start it up.

Start the car and listen carefully if you hear any abnormal sounds and take it for a test drive to make sure everything works as before.

Over all the install was easy but a bit messy having drops of oil hitting your face. Just make sure every thing is clean and particle free. The design of the crank scraper is a real engineering work of art and I feel that I got more then my moneys worth.

Now that the oiling issue is solved I will not have to worry or hesitate taking the car beyond 1G barrier.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Very well done, dev. Great write-up and pictures.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Very impressive, Dev. Library item for sure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
It seems that the last owner of the engine accidentally let the sealing foil from an oil bottle into the engine.[/b]
Wonders never cease.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
dev, I remember seeing some discussion on the applications for this and you've certainly covered the benefits of having one. Great writeup!

Could you give everyone an idea of who would really benefit from this mod and who might not derive as much benefit? Also, are there setups with which it is incompatible?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Dev, are you using the 2zz stock oil pan or the 1zz on the 2zz engine? I was thinking 1zz oil pan for my swap with the lowered pickup plates sold by Crank Scrapers.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hokiemule @ Dec 12 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
dev, I remember seeing some discussion on the applications for this and you've certainly covered the benefits of having one. Great writeup!

Could you give everyone an idea of who would really benefit from this mod and who might not derive as much benefit? Also, are there setups with which it is incompatible?[/b]

Good question. I believe the benefits are broad.

When I talked to Kevin he gave me a nice lesson on crank scrapers in general. Crank scrapers are not someones back yard Idea as it has been researched by car manufactures for a long time and they are on many production cars.
There is a Mark II MR2 that came with the option of purchasing it from the Toyota dealership.

The million dollar question is if they are so great why don't all of the manufactures use them and its due to cost saving measures especially once the goal of a particular design has been met but we are enthusiast that drive harder and push the limits a bit more and therefor we expect more. Some production engines have very poor oiling designs and enthusiasts complain and reputations are formed.

The bottom line is the Crank Scraper is a good investment and an alternative to the accusump and moroso oil pan. if you added suspension modifications and or a little more aggressive with the car, it will close the weak link being the oiling system.
I also believe there is some power benefit along with fuel savings reducing the drag on the motor.

We can talk about benefits all day but the bottom line is this modification is not for everyone and is not an absolute must because it involves a degree of know how to install.
I have been aggressive with my car without this for a long time and I have not had any problem but a few others have especially on the Lotus board so it really depends on your needs. For me I tend to hesitate around certain turns because I know that I will be exceeding the limit of the pan transient or not an by doing so I might be having spikes in my oil pressure thereby lowering the life of my engine due to lack of lubrication.

I just like the fact that I can drive with impunity and confidence that I am getting adequate lubrication at all times especially during high revs around corners.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DMage @ Dec 12 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Dev, are you using the 2zz stock oil pan or the 1zz on the 2zz engine? I was thinking 1zz oil pan for my swap with the lowered pickup plates sold by Crank Scrapers.[/b]

Good question. I forgot to mention and I have to let Kevin know that the 2zz crank scraper will not work with the 1zz oil pan.
The reason being that the baffles on the crank scraper hit the vertical baffle on the 1zz pan. You do not need the benefit of the 1zz baffle anyway.
I found the crank scraper to be over engineered and well designed. This guy kevin really knows sump design.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Awesome write up! I really do think this is a great product to keep oil in the sump especially in the 2zz because of the high rpm design.

Dev, if you had to compare the crank scraper to the moroso pan, given the price difference. Do you feel the crank scraper has many of the same abilities as the moroso pan through your observations?

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07HR350Z @ Dec 12 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Awesome write up! I really do think this is a great product to keep oil in the sump especially in the 2zz because of the high rpm design.

Dev, if you had to compare the crank scraper to the moroso pan, given the price difference. Do you feel the crank scraper has many of the same abilities as the moroso pan through your observations?[/b]
Good question and its debatable. I choose the crank scraper because I feel that it does more then the Moroso oil pan for the reasons I listed above.

The Moroso oil pan does have trap door baffles and higher capacity which is great for one thing which is preventing the pick up from being uncovered but thats it.
The crank scraper with its lower pickup kit on the other hand prevents the pick up from being uncovered a different way so it also does the job as well.
The crank scraper addresses directly the problem with the sump and because of the scrapers you also get the benefit of freeing up power.
the crank scraper with the stock pan weighs less then the Moroso pan. Even with the moroso pan Elise owners were still getting blue smoke around hard corners and it does not address any of the aeration issues which is thought to destroy the oil pump gears.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kortik @ Dec 12 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
nice
does this work w/Moroso oil pump on 2zz?[/b]
Do you mean Moroso oil pan?

If so I hear it does work and I highly recommended that you use the pick up lowering kit which is sold separately if you were to go moroso pan.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Have you driven the car with the scraper yet? Any different sounds from the engine?

Nice Post. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kortik @ Dec 12 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yes I meant Moros pan
I already purchased Moroso pan
so what part will fit. did you just email the people at the link you posted?[/b]

From the link I would call Kevin an speak to him in person. Make sure you let him know you are going to run a Moroso oil pan with the crank scraper or just the lowering kit.
If you have any questions he is the one that will guide you. It is nice to actually talk to someone that is passionate and knowledgeable about his work.

·
Registered
23,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtSpyder @ Dec 12 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you driven the car with the scraper yet? Any different sounds from the engine?

Nice Post. :icon_thumright:[/b]
I have but I am still breaking in my new clutch so I cant comment on the the difference. Surely there should not be any sound difference.

All I can say is that I did revved it in neutral and it felt smooth. I will let you guys know if it added power in the weeks ahead.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
The crank scraper does help with oil pickup by keeping more oil in the pan, specially at high rpm but it is not a substitute for a Moroso Pan. It does not help with G induced oil starvation as much as a pan and it does not increase oil capacity by the 2 quarts.

I'm using the same crank scraper with the Moroso pan for added safety and to free up some hp. I didn't really feel much difference in hp but that was not why I bought it.

You can to use the clay just like with the stock pan to make sure the pickup spacing is correct.

My mechanic did the install so I don't know if he added any spacers.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silversprint @ Dec 12 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The crank scraper does help with oil pickup by keeping more oil in the pan, specially at high rpm but it is not a substitute for a Moroso Pan. It does not help with G induced oil starvation as much as a pan and it does not increase oil capacity by the 2 quarts.

I'm using the same crank scraper with the Moroso pan for added safety and to free up some hp. I didn't really feel much difference in hp but that was not why I bought it.

You can to use the clay just like with the stock pan to make sure the pickup spacing is correct.

My mechanic did the install so I don't know if he added any spacers.[/b]

silver what exaclty did you buy from crank scrapers?

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kortik @ Dec 12 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silversprint @ Dec 12 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mechanic did the install so I don't know if he added any spacers.[/b]

silver what exaclty did you buy from crank scrapers?
[/b][/quote]

Just call them. They sell a kit for the 2zz.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.