MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best alternative to the Monkey Wrenching cruise control. They are out of stock and only god knows how long it will be before they will be back in stock

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
There are a few universal cruise controls available. Rostra and "Ididit" seem to be the choice. There are two issues with universal cruise controls, speed pickup and the control switch. I believe the Monkeywrench control switch was a battery operated wireless box. Usually the universal kits will offer a generic control box, and a brand specific control stalk, however you may need to buy them separate from the universal kit.
I believe the monkeywrench system used the speed input from the ECU to provide speed input. A universal cruise kit will work for certain if you mount a magnet to an axle and mount the sensor (included) to provide a road speed input. The kits usually also accept a VSS input but you'd need to track down the correct wire in the spyder. The monkey wrench system had that all sorted out with specific wiring instructions. Overall I'm certain a universal cruise control kit will work. You'll just have to do a little more homework to get it fitted. "Thecruisecontrolstore.com" lists a Rostra kit for Corolla. I'm not certain if the corolla stalk would mount to the spyder steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Wait, you're saying the Rostra system will work with an OEM Corolla stalk?
I can confirm that the OEM Corolla stalk will bolt onto the MR2 Spyder wheel, and might even plug into the clock spring.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have had the Rostra CC since July 2017 without incident. Very handy.

Works just like the factory cruise in my Lexus (Toyota) with the only exception being how you disengage. The simplest way of course is to just hit the ON/OFF button. However, if you want to resume your preset speed the only real option is to tap the brake, certainly not a deal breaker but different.

ON: To operate the cruise control after starting the vehicle, push the cruise "ON/OFF" button.Wait 3 seconds before setting speed. You can leave your cruise control "ON" all the time. It willnot drain your battery.

SET SPEED: To engage system, drive above minimum speed (see owner’s manual), push"SET/COAST” button, then remove your foot from the accelerator pedal. Set Speed control willbe at the speed of the vehicle when button was released plus or minus 1 MPH. Pressaccelerator and vehicle speed will increase. Release accelerator and vehicle will return to setspeed.

COAST: Press and Hold the "SET/COAST" button and vehicle speed will decrease. Releasebutton and the speed of vehicle will be set at this new slower speed.

ACCEL: Press and Hold the "RESUME/ ACCEL" button and vehicle speed will increase.Release button and the speed of vehicle will be set at this new faster speed.

TAP-UP: You can also gradually increase your vehicle speed by quickly pushing the"RESUME/ACCEL" button. Each time you press and release the button your vehicle set speedwill increase by one to two miles per hour.

TAP-DOWN: You can gradually decrease your vehicle speed by quickly pushing the "SET/COAST" button. Each time you press and release the button your vehicle set speed willdecrease by one to two miles per hour.

DISENGAGE: Depress brake pedal slightly (or depress clutch pedal on manual transmissionvehicles). Automatic speed control from cruise will cease. Set speed will remain in cruisesystem's memory for use in Resume function. Pressing “On/Off” button or turning off ignition willdisengage cruise and clear the set speed from cruise’s memory.

RESUME: After disengaging system with brake or clutch, return to road speed. Then press“RESUME/ACCEL” button and release it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well unless someone jumps in this thread soon and has a better option im sold. I will be ordering mine soon before everyone thats been waiting on the MWR one catches wind and these ones end up going out of stock. Thanks everyone for their input!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would anyone happen to have the wiring instructions for the MWR instructions so we can cross compare?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
While we're waiting for somebody to post Monkeywrench installation info....
The BGB says "vehicle speed circuit uses VSS installed inside transmission, and sends signal to the terminal "SPD" on the ECU". SPD terminal at the ECU is pin #22 on connector #E3, and at the speedometer it is Pin #5 on connector #C10. (From 2002 wiring schematics)

·
Registered
498 Posts
codeotis, can you tell us about the install? how difficult was it? Does it work off the ECU, and how does the stalk mount?

View attachment 84010
I can tell you nothing about the install as this was well above my comfort level so I ended up going to a local shop who supplied all parts & labor. If I remember correctly the units are available on Amazon around $200 so paying for the install was some of the best money I've ever spent on this car.

Hope these pictures help answer your second query.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The cruise stalk from the Celica will require you to tap the holes on the stock steering wheel and get the Celica clock spring. I installed this on my 2ar swap, so not relevant to the 1zz…

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The cruise stalk from the Celica will require you to tap the holes on the stock steering wheel and get the Celica clock spring. I installed this on my 2ar swap, so not relevant to the 1zz…
A factory Toyota cruise control stalk will only work with a Toyota factory cruise control system built into the ecu - and a throttle-by-wire system. I also have a Celica stalk (same as SMT/1zz stalk). running with a RAV4 ecu in my 2GR swap. A Rostra cruise cannot use the factory stalk.

·
Registered
71 Posts
@cyclehead would you happen to know the brand/part numbers for the Rostra unit and the generic stalk? And from 1 to 10 being 1 easy what the complexity level of that installation would be?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I’ve installed universal cruise on a few cars, Jag XJ12 engine swap, Honda Civic, Corolla etc. The hardest part for the spyder I believe will be access to the throttle. You’ll need to hook up the drive cable from the control box. It runs the throttle for you. Of course that’s pretty tight quarters on a spyder. I’d guess the job would rate a 4ish on the scale. The Rostra universal cruise with a universal stalk should work fine..
Edit: Looking at MWR description, they seem to hook up to the throttle cable in the frunk, instead of connecting to the throttle body in the engine compartment. That would be easier access.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
You’ll need the universal kits with the throttle cable Rostra model 250-1223. Circled. (The others are model specific and only work on cars with throttle-by-wire.)
You can pick RH or LH control stalk. They are $50 each. Note that it mounts to the hard plastic shroud in front of the steering wheel (not to the steering wheel like the factory stalk does)

I see the Rostra 250-1223 kits going for $200 - $350 depending where you buy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts