MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 MR2 with SMT. CC will not indicate “on” when the steering wheel is straight or turned clockwise. Turn the steering wheel counterclockwise a quarter turn, and the indicator light illuminates when the switch button is pushed. Same for turning the CC off. Even when the light indicates that the system is on, the CC will not work. I replaced the switch. The CC acts the same way. Please advise if you know how to correct this issue.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
This may or may not help you .....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yep, it’s the spiral cable. Your original one is still good but you’ll have to relocate one wire to the spare conductor within the ribbon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed the spiral cable. The install went smoothly. Indicator is not illuminating in any case now. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Changed the spiral cable. The install went smoothly. Indicator is not illuminating in any case now. Not sure where to go from here.
I still say spiral cable. Double check your work. If that doesn't do it, check for continuity within the ribbon from in and out the clockspring.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Was that a new or used spiral cable? I hope you disconnected the neg battery cable before tearing into that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did disconnect the negative battery post. I checked the two suggested fuses, one at the dash and one in the engine compartment. I believe there may be more of them to check. After replacing the switch and still experiencing the same fault as before it was replaced, I was 100% convinced that the spiral cable was faulty. I will recheck my work, but it was pretty much unplug the two harnesses and pull the old part out. Push the new part into place, and plug the two harnesses back into the receivers. I bought the spiral cable on eBay. It is new. Any advice on checking the continuity within the new ribbon would help.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I agree with suoiruc that it's still the spiral cable . The fact that your not getting anything now
makes me think it still the cable . There should be a way to check it but I don't know how ..

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Did you buy the $15 one from China? Toyota is~ $200.
Testing: put one lead of ohmmeter on one of the six pins feeding the top of clockspring/spiral cable and the other lead on the bottom corresponding pin. If no continuity, the ribbon is open and not any good. If you bought one from the wrecker, 50% chance, it’s good or bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was more than $15 but way less than $200. Looked identical to the old one. Pretty sure everything comes from China these days though. 🤪 I appreciate your feedback and agree with your diagnosis. First I will double check the fuses. Then look at the installation for mistakes. They happen. Especially with me. Lastly I will check the resistance in the spiral cable.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Pretty sure everything comes from China these days though.
That's where you're wrong. OEM Toyota parts are tested to an extreme standard because Toyota owns stakes in many of their suppliers like Denso and force them to work to a very high standard. So OEM parts are genuinely phenomenal quality whether they're made in China or Japan. And many are still made in Japan AFAIK.

Don't underestimate the difference in quality between OEM and eBay. It's trash vs quality most of the time.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Offended? I don't own Toyota lmao. I'm just a big believer in OEM parts after moderating a Toyota forum and seeing an incredible amount of issues caused by cheap aftermarket parts and OEM stuff fixing it. I try to tell people, buy once cry once, because you'll likely be buying the OEM part later anyway.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I wouldn’t use it if its made in China. I bought the cheapo one to see what the difference was and wrote the ebay seller asking them not to sell these as they could be a safety hazard. The part looks the same on the outside but internally it’s constructed in a way that the ribbon binds and can stop the steering wheel from turning. Yes, you could probably over power the binding of the ribbon but it could catch you by surprise and startle you causing you to go off road. You can get a reasonably priced one here:
Parts.norwalktoyota.com
Enter this exactly like its written or you may get the brick and motar store where you’ll pay list price.
Wow! I just looked that part up and the price for these has gone up considerably to $269. If you’re good at tinkering, you might fix the original one. There is a spare wire that is usually ok that can be utilized. You’ll need to remove 2 wires from the two connectors, one going in to the clockspring and one coming out. Move them to the spare pin in the ribbon.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Something else i just remembered. There are two different clocksprings for the spyder. You may have purchased the non-SMT one which doesn’t have all the pins required to work the cruise. The SMT version has 6 pins; that’s how you can tell. So take yours apart and check the pins.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
[/QUOTE]
So you had the wrong spiral cable (less than six pins)? Did you buy new?
I don’t understand why using this site with my iPhone doesn’t allow me to just post rather than have to quote something before responding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
4 Participants
suoiruc
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing