MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the cruise control is not working, where is the first place to start checking? All the fuses are good. On my RAV4 the cruise light comes on when I turn the cruise on. On the MR2 there is no cruise dash light that comes on (is there one?).

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Factory Cruse Control was only offered on the SMT equipped Spyders..

If you have an SMT Spyder, and the Cruse Control does not work.. AND you do not have A Check Engine Lite ( Or Gear Lite ), then it's Likely the Wires going up the Steering Wheel are Broken..

Cap

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm still kicking the idea around of a manual throttle control for extended highhway use. These cars run at a pretty consistent speed and RPM's on the highway. I think it would work fairly well. Maybe mounted on the console, next to the E-brake, cable operated, that way it can have an easier route to the engine.

I've even considered something similiar to a motorcycle hand throttle, spring loaded, with a thumb lock on it. That's a simple set up. Just something to give my foot a rest when it needs it. Can you see the images yet in your head? Hand throttle, like a bike, not to replace the original foot throttle, but to supplement it. As long as it's hooked up to where it doesn't interfere with the gas pedal (similiar to cruise control hook up) why wouldn't it work? If it were set up correctly you could use either (foot or hand) to control the gas.

Think I've lost it? Possibly. I like to think a little outside the box sometimes (ask anyone who knows me well!) Evidently none of the cruise controls that we can buy for our cars work worth a crap, so maybe we need to go back to something simpler.

I value the input of the members on here who actually use their gray matter for something besides a hat rack, if you have thoughts on this as to a good reason why it wouldn't work, let me know.

Okay, let's have some feedback. I have no doubts that a lot of you guys are smarted than me. Unless someone can give me a good reason not to, I may look into this further.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
After my Knee Surgery, I put a Hand throttle on the Gear Shift of my '76 Honda Civic.... a Little Stiff to use and shift at the same time.. but was workable..

I stayed alive long enough to graduate from the '76 Honda Civic, to my 2001 MR2!

That was a Culture Shock.. to actually have a Radio.. A/C.. P/S.. HEATER that works.. Defroster..

Never looked back..

Cap

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
After my Knee Surgery, I put a Hand throttle on the Gear Shift of my '76 Honda Civic.... a Little Stiff to use and shift at the same time.. but was workable..

I stayed alive long enough to graduate from the '76 Honda Civic, to my 2001 MR2!

That was a Culture Shock.. to actually have a Radio.. A/C.. P/S.. HEATER that works.. Defroster..

Never looked back..

Cap
Hey that's cool. I must not be completely crazy after all. I think even just a cable operated throttle like the older cars had would work pretty good on the highway. It might depend on whether a person could find a decent route for the cable though. Too many bends and it would probably bind up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts