MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car got crunched today and I saw them do it too......

my car was parked accross the street from my house on the street. I was loading stuff into my other car. I hear a crunch as my neighbor is backing out of her driveway. I'm thinking, man she hit those garbage cans good.... I look over, she's crunching my front driverside fender.

Damage I can see, front bumper, front driver side fender, driver side headlight, possibly bent hood, a bit of plastic seems crushed.

it was a slow impact, like 5mph. very little damage on her car, as her bumper went over it. Obviously she didnt' see the car at all.

If i weren't returnign items to Target, I woudl have taken the MR2, and I would have left after my first trip out to the car. and there would have been no accident.

besides my bitching... I guess the point of the thread/question I wanted to ask is, is there anything else I should be worried about? hidden damage?

it sucks that I have 28K on the clock of an immacculate accident free 2003, and now not accident free.

I know I should be happy, no one was hurt, no real severe damage, it obviously could have been a lot worse even as a parked car accident, but it still is rain on my AM. She was upset, pissed at herself, etc. I am actually new the the street, so I was sweet as pie, even though it would have felt good to explode for a few minutes.

Although a girl at work's husband owns a body shop and I'm considering going there.... any recommendations to finding a real primo body shop. So far I've had mixed experiences at 2 of my local shops on my wife's car and my father in law's car.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I just had my wife's CTS hit while it was parked in Connecticut. My wife had just loaded it to come home, went in her sister's house, and Wham!:

It needs a new driver's rear quarter welded in, new suspension parts, new pass. front fender, both bumpers, and 2 new wheels (it was also pushed into 2 other parked cars). The numbnuts that hit the car was arrested at the scene for multiple outstanding warrants, and he was driving his friend's car. Right now, I'm out the deductible ($500) until my insurance co. subrogates with the other owner's insurance.

The bottom line, is that as long as no one was hurt, and as much as it sucks to have your baby hit, don't lose any sleep over it. Have your neighbor's insurance cover the repair, and drive on. I wasn't really that mad that my wife's car got hit. Yup, it's a PIA, but most importantly, she wasn't near it or in it when it got hit. We all have to remember it's only metal, and accidents happen. I can understand the anger at the other driver, but you can't act on that. Just make them take responsibility. Our CTS was really in mint condition for having nearly 90K miles on it too. I still want to get at least 150K miles out of it (it wasn't totaled according to the damage estimate, which was $11,900)

Good luck with the repairs, and I hope you'll be made whole soon. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a lot of sympathy for you. But I have no sympathy for people who crash into parked cars. Seriously take as much money as you can get from her or her insurance.

When it comes to body work, get at least 3 quotes from the best local places you can find and give the most expensive quote to her or her insurance.

My 300zx got crashed into by a friend and I went to one of the cheaper places because he didn't want to go through insurance. Worst decision ever. No matter what, get the most money and get the best repair you can or you'll regret it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have a lot of sympathy for you. But I have no sympathy for people who crash into parked cars. Seriously take as much money as you can get from her or her insurance.

When it comes to body work, get at least 3 quotes from the best local places you can find and give the most expensive quote to her or her insurance.

My 300zx got crashed into by a friend and I went to one of the cheaper places because he didn't want to go through insurance. Worst decision ever. No matter what, get the most money and get the best repair you can or you'll regret it.
This is good advice- you have the right to get your car repaired at the shop of your choosing. By the way, my brother has a 93 300ZX TT in Colorado, and he's sometimes concerned about taking it out because of non careful drivers. If it gets hit significantly, it'll likely be totaled, as it's an older car, and on the books, not worth as much, despite it being in mint condition.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really mad at the other driver. realistically, its an accident, if she did it on purpose, it wouldn't be an accident. She was careless, but I'm sure I've been careless before.
She was nice about it, admitted fault, didn't try and pull anything funny.

I'm glad I was out there when it happend. It was funny, she gets out of her car and sees me accross the street and was like... do you know who's car that is? Yep, its mine.

I am somewhat glad she did it as opposed to her daughter who was supposed to move the car to move hers out. the 22 year old would need the accident even less on her record and who knows what mess it might create. Real adults who act as such make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Better to admit fault and take responsibility vs. running, getting caught, and standing before a judge! It just doesn't look good.:lol:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sympathy. Fortunately your two mods weren't damaged: JDM badge and Keyholes (joke).

On the bright side: maybe you had always been liking some exterior mods. For example: aftermarket bumper or more. If so, now the project is funded by her insurance.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It probably wasn't even her fault, I'm sure there was brain controlling parasite attached to her head at the time. I hear some people call them Selfones.

I play a game with the trainees that come to the smoke pin at work (it's near a busy street), if they can count 10 drivers that pass without a cell attached to their head I give em 10 bucks, but if one passes before 10 they give me a dollar. My best day I made 80 bucks off of four guys before they gave up, I've only had to pay out once.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It probably wasn't even her fault, I'm sure there was brain controlling parasite attached to her head at the time. I hear some people call them Selfones.

I play a game with the trainees that come to the smoke pin at work (it's near a busy street), if they can count 10 drivers that pass without a cell attached to their head I give em 10 bucks, but if one passes before 10 they give me a dollar. My best day I made 80 bucks off of four guys before they gave up, I've only had to pay out once.
+1!!!

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Get the body shop to let you take pictures with the fender removed. That should help calm a possible future buyer that only cosmetic sheet metal was damaged. TRY to get the whole car resprayed. Repainted parts never match. If you must paint only parts, insist (and verify) that they cover your entire car with plastic sheet the whole time it's sitting in the shop. I can't count the times that I get a beautiful resprayed fender, and the whole freakin rest of the car is ruined with overspray. Then the body shop acts like...."What? I don't feel any overspray. I'll bet your car always felt like 400 grit sandpaper." ##$!

·
Registered
199 Posts

I bet it is either this or the OTHER major plague on our roads known as SUVs. I don't see where the OP mentioned what type of vehicle his neighbor was driving, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an SUV as he mentioned that her bumper went OVER the MR2. I have spent years in sports cars and on motorcycles dodging idiots in SUVs who try to merge on top of me or back into me in parking lots. I'm sure some SUV drivers are careful and alert, but most seem to be oblivious to anything around them and seem to think that driving a large vehicle gives them right-of-way in all situations.
I have had a couple of my cars backed into in parking lots when i was not in the car to evade them. I minimize this risk now by parking in my garage at home, and when I need to park in a parking lot I choose spaces that have no vehicles closeby even if it means I have to walk four times further to get where I am going.
To the OP, I'm sorry that your car was damaged through no fault of your own. It really sucks when you put so much effort into keeping a vehicle in mint condition only to have some idiot run into it while parked. At least it will be fixed at no expense to you and nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just had one of those maybe 2 weeks ago, i tried driving in flip flops which didnt work out, ended up going <5mph into the back end of an explorer, went underneath the thing. The paint all buffed and polished out but the left headlight busted and the hood was bent, the tie bar was bent inwards in contact with the radiator as well. Made the claim, accident was my fault, I'm covered with a 100$ deductible, theyre replacing the hood, license plate bracket, both headlights, and bending back what they said was the tie bar. roughly 2000 in repairs.
its incredible how fragile the car is. not like running into something in a Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
only an idiot would drive with flip-flops ever.

Idiot!

AGREE. My cousin wrecked my uncle's MGB years ago attempting this feat (feet?)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bet it is either this or the OTHER major plague on our roads known as SUVs. I don't see where the OP mentioned what type of vehicle his neighbor was driving, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an SUV as he mentioned that her bumper went OVER the MR2. I have spent years in sports cars and on motorcycles dodging idiots in SUVs who try to merge on top of me or back into me in parking lots. I'm sure some SUV drivers are careful and alert, but most seem to be oblivious to anything around them and seem to think that driving a large vehicle gives them right-of-way in all situations.
I'm having a problem with this too. It's like people can't see me until they are merging into my lane and I have to hold down the horn to get their attention. It's bound to happen when you are driving any car but I've only been driving this Spyder for a month and it's happened about 10 times to me. SN: People also have a hard time seeing me at drive-thru windows.

To the OP, I hope all goes well with your repairs.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm having a problem with this too. It's like people can't see me until they are merging into my lane and I have to hold down the horn to get their attention. It's bound to happen when you are driving any car but I've only been driving this Spyder for a month and it's happened about 10 times to me. SN: People also have a hard time seeing me at drive-thru windows.

To the OP, I hope all goes well with your repairs.
Here's something you really need to watch out for too. When making a right hand turn from the inside lane at an intersection that has two lanes that can turn right. People in the outside lane will come over into your lane halfway through the turn, as if you are not there. I no longer turn right from the inside lane because this has happened so many times.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts