MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Spectra Blue 2003 SMT with Quaife LSD
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a quick but loud crunch when shifting into 2nd, but only in certain situations. If I rev above 4k RPM in 1st before shifting or otherwise shift under a decent amount of throttle it will be fine, including up at the redline. If I am slowing and downshift the SMT doesn’t seem to blip the throttle and I get a crunch, or if I don’t shift into neutral before a full stop it will crunch into 2nd as well. SMT blips the throttle appropriately when downshifting into any other gear, whether I’m on the gas or the brake. My first step is to replace the transmission oil with fresh synchromesh. Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Step 1: replace fluid (if you don’t know the mileage/age of your SMT fluid now would be a good time for that as well).
Step 2: reassess

·
Registered
Spectra Blue 2003 SMT with Quaife LSD
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today it was way better, which is really odd. It seems to come and go. SMT fluid was changed last one year ago. I will change the SMT fluid and the gear oil and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
93 Posts
Today it was way better, which is really odd. It seems to come and go. SMT fluid was changed last one year ago. I will change the SMT fluid and the gear oil and see how it goes.
I hope you got my SMT repair PM. If not, let me know.

Reactions: Biomed&Barolo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts