MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Spyderchat!

we are gauging interest for some C's Short stroke Shifter reproduction for the Spyders. C's has been long and discontinued and we are hoping to bring back the best shifter ever made for the community.

After our successful release of the SW20 shifter, we have received a few requests from spyder owners via our social media channels. They are asking if we could replicate the same shifter for the spyders.

To answer the question, Yes! we can definitely fully replicate the spyder shifter.

For such project to happen, we need at least 20 backers for this product. We know the spyder community is very small that's why we are starting this forum thread to gauge interest.

For pricing wise, we are looking and estimating it to be $129 per shifter kit for the FIRST 20 buyers. (just slightly higher than our sw20 kit, since it is a longer shifter) Current price at this moment is now $149 for a complete kit.

Development and production time will be roughly 3-4 months. we are estimating this based on our last production for the sw20 shifters.

If you are interested on backing this project, please comment below.

thanks for your time and happy new year to all!

-Superklasse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Confirmed and Paid List:

1. DesertWanderer
2. Deucefatty
3. didymus8
4. carlbecker
5. dblotii
6. fogcity
7. jbeattie04
8. MidshipMadness
9. marsrock7
10. mztykal
11. iwashock
12. Last_Wolf
13. luc1f3r
14. cub3y
15. Aleu
16. 4azdmunky
17. micolector08
18. helowrench
19. kuy
20. MR24U
21 dan1556
22. grapplerha96
23. kamlung
24. mjg
25. Crimsonfire
26. MRSwede
27. tofunen
28. Telluride
29. SRW
30. Slowpok3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 15, 2019

Hey guys, looks like we have reached our 20 backers.

we are opening the pre-order on our website. Click on the link below to complete your pre-order and back this project. Once completed kindly post here so we can keep track on all the backers.

https://super-klasse.com/products/spyder-zzw30-cs-short-stroke-shifter-reproduction

We will commence production as soon as we receive all 20 backers.

Again timeline for product fulfillment is 2-3 months once production has started.

We will constantly update this thread with the whole production process.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Interesting. It will probably be like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cs-Short-Shifter-ZZW30-Toyota-MR-S-/192129896777

Apparently there is a review on Newcelica.org that compares all of the shifters like the B&M copies, TRD and this shifter. Their observations are that that Cs short shifter will be more like the TRD which is not very aggressive as far as feel in my opinion but there are a lot of people that like this kind of set up so who am I to judge. The last generation Celica uses a similar type of cage so the results should give you a good idea of how it might play out in the Spyder.

This would probably be a great alternative to the TRD shifter that is way over priced for what is left and hard to come by.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I have a few thoughts on this. 1. I would hope it has the proper OEM curve so it sits straight in the center console. I never liked aftermarket shifters because they're always crooked. 2. It should be more aggressive than the TRD shifter. Maybe a tad shorter than the original C's?

I've never heard of C's or experienced that shifter so I can't claim any real understanding. Just some thoughts. A short shifter that's still mild but a bit more aggressive than TRD sounds great for the community.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few thoughts on this. 1. I would hope it has the proper OEM curve so it sits straight in the center console. I never liked aftermarket shifters because they're always crooked. 2. It should be more aggressive than the TRD shifter. Maybe a tad shorter than the original C's?

I've never heard of C's or experienced that shifter so I can't claim any real understanding. Just some thoughts. A short shifter that's still mild but a bit more aggressive than TRD sounds great for the community.
1. the bends helps with shifting, it may look weird on the eye but it is definitely a performance mod. C's are known for making the necessary bends to help achieve the best possible shift.

2. we can definitely make it shorter on the top end of the lever. but not the bottom part as we dont want to change the shifting point of the C's. The goal is too replicate a fully tested shifter and not make a lot of modifications to it.

For those not familiar with C's. They were the best shifter manufacturer to date. Too bad they no longer in business.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The newcelica short shifter review, for the lazy:
https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210641&amp=1

TL;DR for the ultra lazy:
In the Celica the C's was found to be just slightly more agressive than the TRD, but not as much as the B&M, OBX, etc.

I've only experienced one short shifter in the Spyder. I don't know what brand it was (There was a ton of MWR stuff on the car, so it may have been an MRW) but it was way to short, very notchy, and obviously was the straight stick type. Not having the bend in it made it's center very off-center... Combining that with it barely being tall enough for the knob to be above the shift surround and I had a hell of a time finding the right gear. If I had bought the car it would've been the first thing out, that's for sure.
This experience is what led me to buy a TRD, which I still haven't installed. My C60 has a weak 3rd gear syncro, so I figure why bother until that's fixed. At this price point for the C's replica, I'd definitely consider purchasing the C's and letting go of the TRD.

·
Registered
200 Posts
this would be an excellent product addition for the MRS community. i’m pretty happy with my TRD, but if this C's clone is slightly shorter and more aggressive than the TRD while at the same time better preserving the OE feel than the available straight shaft shifters it will be a winner at a good price point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd get one now at that price just to see what it's like. If it comes out during "driving season" I'd probably push the purchase off till winter when the car's in the garage anyways.

Thanks for making another product available to the community!

1 - 20 of 273 Posts
About this Discussion
272 Replies
60 Participants
Piloter
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing