MR2 SpyderChat banner

221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just installed this in my ‘03 shift cage. Not sure how I feel about it. Gonna look for a TRD shifter like my old one had...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds funny to translate Japanese to English but
Instructions #13 says to use a hacksaw or a stick file to remove the shadow mark of the shifter cage.
If not removed, the shift cable will rub so you have to remove it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Instructions #13 says to use a hacksaw or a stick file to remove the shadow mark of the shifter cage.
SRW, thanks for transalating and confirming this.

Looks like we have solved an issue in just one day and we would like to thank the people involved and this forum for working together to solve it.

This community is awesome and we would like to continue to support it and bring back discontinued parts for the spyder. Lets continue working together as we know the spyders dont get much attention from manufacturers. If you guys have anything in mind that needs to be reproduced, feel free to let us know.

·
1,819 Posts
confirmed... the picture says you need to remove that section. and under the #13. instruction it mentions that it is very important that this step is completed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
17 more shifters went out today. we are almost at 95% done on fulfilling this group buy. thanks guys for your continues patience and support. (y)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just installed this in my ‘03 shift cage. Not sure how I feel about it. Gonna look for a TRD shifter like my old one had...
I have.. PM me

·
Registered
305 Posts
Installed my shifter today. Thoughts:

Pro - Like the feel of shifting, definitely improved the throw and being less of a slush box. Always thought the 5 spd (c59) felt better, less notchy than the 6 spd (c60) in my matrix. Cage also feels like it has less play.

Cons - While it is definitely a shorter throw, it's still as tall as the stock shift if not more especially having to raise the cage up. Was disappointed about that although not sure if any of the short shifters are lower either. The stick is offset to the right more so when you shift into 1st that's where neutral would be in the stock shifter. This doesn't bother me as much as the overall height of the shifter.

I cut the center part clean off to clear the cable, didn't seem to affect the rigidity of the PLASTIC cage.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I got a chance to test it out thanks to DeuceFatty. I didn't drive the car but I sat in it and played with the shifter. Here are my thoughts.

It's just as clicky as the TRD shifter. The throw is a little shorter forward and back. The knob height is however substantially higher. Shift effort remains about the same. Because of the single bend on the SK shifter instead of the double bend on the TRD, the knob is crooked and pointed at the passenger side. His car is missing a center console and has carpeting covering all the goodies so it looked fine on his car, but with a center console it would be obviously off center and crooked. I would not be able to stand this in my own car.

Strictly feel/performance wise: Is it better than the TRD shifter? No. Is it worse? No, it really isn't. They're very similar and trade off advantages and disadvantages but nothing too significant. If the knob was straight up and not crooked, I'd give it a glowing recommendation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to add a second bend. When I first purchased this kit I thought the shifter had 2 bends. Oh well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to add a second bend. When I first purchased this kit I thought the shifter had 2 bends. Oh well.
That's what I was expecting too. What if you put the shifter in a big vise (protect the threads) and give it a smack with a 5 lb hammer bending it a bit to the left? I know this is a caveman way to do things but if you're good with a hammer, it may be a way of improving the stance of the shift knob.

If done improperly, the end result would be worse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It'd probably be nice if you ever get enough orders to order new runs of these shifter shafts to get the bend undone or mirrored. c's Japan seems to have designed the shifter to be closer to the driver in a japanese car having the shaft bend the way it does. if you mirror the bend angle, i guess you get a LHD-Spec C's STS

I'll probably vice+heat+hammer mine when i get it.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Problem with reversing the bend is that, AFAIK, the shaft is already coming out further left than center. The bend right is to compensate. If it was straight, it would just go straight up off center. A bend right would make it hit the console. The reason the TRD shifter has two bends is to keep it straight but center it in the center console.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got my box last week, haven't had a chance to open it and install yet... But o geez. Was hoping that lean would be addressed with this shifter (car came with cheap knockoff). Let's see how this goes...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found a short shifter guide on a Celica forum, with a picture of the different shifters. The C's, TRD, Oem, are described as Goosnecked, and looking at them am pretty shore there are two bends on the C's. This one looking more like a longer version of a TWM

221 - 240 of 273 Posts
About this Discussion
272 Replies
60 Participants
Piloter
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing