MR2 SpyderChat banner

241 - 260 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
the original C's for the MRS was not a gooseneck design but only had one bend. Here a clearer picture of the original C's vs SK reproduction

Top = original
Bottom = SK reproduction

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's what I was expecting too. What if you put the shifter in a big vise (protect the threads) and give it a smack with a 5 lb hammer bending it a bit to the left? I know this is a caveman way to do things but if you're good with a hammer, it may be a way of improving the stance of the shift knob.

If done improperly, the end result would be worse.
If I decide to bend it... Which I most likely will, there will be a torch involved. No way I'd risk putting a crack in the shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the original C's for the MRS was not a gooseneck design but only had one bend. Here a clearer picture of the original C's vs SK reproduction

Top = original
Bottom = SK reproduction

My Bad Sorry

How is the stick connected to the ball ?
Any chance to disassemble it and turn the stick 180 degree.
But that maybe makes putting it in reverse very awkward

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, for those of you that breaks their factory pushnuts and needs a replacement, Email us with your name and we will send one as soon as we receive the bulk order we just made for those push nuts

Email: [email protected]

thanks i sent an email.

I was able to reuse the push nut but its not as tight as it was originally.

Also there is one step missing. you should add removing the cotter pin on the side linkage prior to taking out the push nut. I had already taken out the push nut when i removed the cotter pin so it was hanging awkwardly and i think i dropped something inside the carpet so its gone now. i hope i didn't need it.

Additionally a note should be added about making sure the neutral return spring should be placed in the right position. without it shifting from second to third may fall into first. I also think the kit can benefit from a stronger spring. the return from the right is much stronger than the rear. i think your picture shows it in the wrong position.

Either way i was able to complete the install sans whatever part i dropped. The leaning on the right is unusual but its not as bothersome when sitting on the driver side compared to previous pictures. Definitely would be better if it leaned towards the driver side instead. I'm looking forward to driving it tomorrow.

·
1,819 Posts
that looks heaps better... did you use a blow torch and a hammer??? i drove mine today for the first time, and whilst i like the shifting feel (nice and tight)... the position of the shifter is still off to me... shifting into 3rd sometimes feels like i'm going into 5th... i'd be willing to mod the shifter the same...

241 - 260 of 273 Posts
About this Discussion
272 Replies
60 Participants
Piloter
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing