MR2 SpyderChat banner

261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
that looks heaps better... did you use a blow torch and a hammer??? i drove mine today for the first time, and whilst i like the shifting feel (nice and tight)... the position of the shifter is still off to me... shifting into 3rd sometimes feels like i'm going into 5th... i'd be willing to mod the shifter the same...
No hammer. Blowtorch and a pair of pipe wrenches for leverage
If you have a solidly mounted vise, you'll only need one. Mount the shifter by clamping the shaft near the ball pivot, Blowtorch under the stopper flange till it's a red glowing color, don't let it get orange hot, then put the pipe wrench directly above the heated area and bend. Since the metal is weakest at the red hot area, that's where it will bend. Bend the upper gooseneck bend to about 95% of the bottom shaft axis since the shifter actually sits at an angle of about 2 degrees left from straight up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
^No hammer needed, just heat up enough so you can bend it. Just be careful since the heat might have traveled. (I forgot to cool it like refirendum did)

At any rate also heated and bent mine like refirendum did. Thanks again too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
^No hammer needed, just heat up enough so you can bend it. Just be careful since the heat might have traveled. (I forgot to cool it like refirendum did)

At any rate also heated and bent mine like refirendum did. Thanks again too.

i'm sure typing "refirendum" is tiring. lol "refi" is more than enough.

Few things of note, the bend point you used is closer to the pivot ball, and the ball will soak up a lot of heat. i was personally paranoid about the heat affecting the little plastic ball cups on the shifter, which is why i went with a gooseneck, but it seems my fears are unfounded as the ball soaked up enough of the heat to protect the cups.

as for heat travel distance, it's not a big issue since the structure of stainless doesn't begin significantly changing its temper until the metal gets to be heated to a decidedly orange color. your shaft will be fine.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I installed mine last Friday. I figured I would try it as is before bending it a bit to the left. I don't really mind the current placement of the knob but will probably bend it next month. I find the shift feeling to be tighter as well as shorter with a bit more effort. No issues and it seems to be a high quality product. It would have been excellent if the knob was keep in the OEM placement for left hand drive cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Installed, used for a while. Cutting the cage was less than fun (no power tools, broke two scrollsaws, wound up with a utility knife, a hammer, and a couple very....slow....files). Upgrading from the stock cage bushings took a lot of the slop out of the mechanism--now it grinds into third but I have spherical PFTE bearings for next weekend to fix the rest of the problem.

Shift effort is definitely increased. Throw is definitely shorter. Still feels like I'm fighting it but that's probably the transmission-end bearings causing grief. (Sprayed everything down like crazy up front with TriFlow in the absence of any 'real' grease, super easy to throw around when the engine is off.) I'll probably update this in a couple weeks when I get around to that.

As a big guy who shouldn't even fit in the first place I kind of like the slight outward bend. Means I punch myself in the leg less for first and second.

Seems like a pretty high-quality piece and a nice knob. Big gripe--the instructions are NOT linked to on the website that I could find. Putting a link to these on the product page would've been great. The scanned QR code with the shifter goes to an otherwise undocumented PDF...so don't just crumple and toss it or it's HELL trying to get it to read.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shift effort is definitely increased. Throw is definitely shorter. Still feels like I'm fighting it but that's probably the transmission-end bearings causing grief. (Sprayed everything down like crazy up front with TriFlow in the absence of any 'real' grease, super easy to throw around when the engine is off.) I'll probably update this in a couple weeks when I get around to that.
Old solid brass cable bushings, long since dry, out. New PFTE spherical bushings in. HOLY CRAP THIS SHIFTER IS WAY GREATER NOW.

The effort is actually less than (admittedly in poor condition) stock. Throws are very short, very precise. Clutch engagement even seems quicker. It's possible to shift MUCH faster like this. Pricey, but a good use of funds for a solid product that makes a nice difference in something that's used all drive, every drive.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts
About this Discussion
272 Replies
60 Participants
Piloter
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing