MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to house 3x 52mm gauges, don't want an in-your-face pillar mount or to spend a fortune on CF. I was considering vacuum-forming my own, after modeling it with a spare cubby lid and a cheapo generic 3x gauge pod, but then I noticed MWR sells one for $45. Anyone use MWRs cubby lid gauge pod? Any feedback on fitment, etc? Pictures?

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ghetto gauge pod mockup with a cheap injection-molded pod on a spare cubby lid - not horrible, not great either.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I bought this one for $35 and shipping to replace my LP TRD pod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2005-Toyota-MR2-Spyder-Triple-Dash-Gaugepod-Pod-Mount-Holder-Trim/161550036295?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140602152332&meid=32356c9637c9464696e527d4382ebf1a&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&mehot=lo&sd=181508388628

I am pretty sure it is the same as the MWR pod.

I have not installed mine yet to check for fit. It does match the dash pretty good just sitting on it. I should have it installed this week and I can give some feedback on it.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Those Ebay ones look a lot like the old Gregg pods. I wonder if someone bought his mold. I've got a Gregg pod that I think came unfinished, I got it second hand from Drummerdawg and he never mounted it. I had to do a little sanding to get it to sit flush.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it me, or do the ebay pictures look like the gauges are slanted towards the RHS ? I would have thought the gauge closest to the driver would be set back the farthest....

But thanks, those look just like the MWR offering, just a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those Ebay ones look a lot like the old Gregg pods. I wonder if someone bought his mold. I've got a Gregg pod that I think came unfinished, I got it second hand from Drummerdawg and he never mounted it. I had to do a little sanding to get it to sit flush.
Based on the seller and the price, my guess is it is vacuum-formed plastic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got the one from ebay and it works pretty well. Had to modify it a little. Melted some spots w a soldering iron for fitment. Guage holes need to be widened also.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
I'm still searching for a jdm nav pod and poking 3x 60mm holes in them. IMO its the best looking setup for gauges.
The navpod that I have just has a large rectangular hole in the front. I guess you could mount the gauges to plastic/metal and then mount them to the navpod. Weren't all the navpods manufactured that way?

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The navpod that I have just has a large rectangular hole in the front. I guess you could mount the gauges to plastic/metal and then mount them to the navpod. Weren't all the navpods manufactured that way?
Pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I bought the same ebay three pod mount as well, plan on whipping up something to make it a functioning cubby still.

If I could suggest something Mike, if you are looking for discrete how about getting speedhut to make you a custom 3-1 gauge and stick it in front of your tach? I myself wanted the three pod unit but if I was trying to fly under the radar I would have bought something from them.

You can cut out your stock tach and install it under the plastic like I did.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I dont think 3 60mm gauges would fit in the hole. Its only large enough for a 7' screen.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the same ebay three pod mount as well, plan on whipping up something to make it a functioning cubby still.

If I could suggest something Mike, if you are looking for discrete how about getting speedhut to make you a custom 3-1 gauge and stick it in front of your tach? I myself wanted the three pod unit but if I was trying to fly under the radar I would have bought something from them.

You can cut out your stock tach and install it under the plastic like I did.
I went and ordered one from eBay.
Yeah, I thought about custom gauges, but if I were going that route I'd just put a Racepack display in instead. But... once tuned and stable, I don't really want to be distracted by gauges (I'll be programming in fail-safes for overboost and low oil pressure anyway). I'm thinking I'll wire in a 6-way plug so I can go from 'stealth' to full instrumentation in an hour (that's 59-1/2 minutes to remember where I put the damned thing, and 30 seconds to install).

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Yeah, I thought about custom gauges, but if I were going that route I'd just put a Racepack display in instead. But... once tuned and stable, I don't really want to be distracted by gauges (I'll be programming in fail-safes for overboost and low oil pressure anyway). I'm thinking I'll wire in a 6-way plug so I can go from 'stealth' to full instrumentation in an hour (that's 59-1/2 minutes to remember where I put the damned thing, and 30 seconds to install).
Its in your garage.:biggrin-new:

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I have been eyeing some of the Defi gauges. All the sensors go to a control box and then one cord goes to a gauge, the gauges are daisy-chained off each other. Its not cheap though. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts