MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching the currently available off-the-shelf turbo kit options available for the MR2 Spyder for around six months, and in that time, I have accrued quite a bit of information and some pretty detailed spreadsheets about the parts necessary to make the kits work safely. After mentioning it in another thread, I received quite a bit of interest in this information from others who are in a situation similar to mine, so I decided to revise everything in to a series of documents that I could make available to the members here. For those who received my original spreadsheet, these are different and contain more information, so you may want to re-download them.

What this is: I am posting a link to three documents. These are written from the perspective of someone who is considering the purchase of a MR2 Spyder with the intent to eventually turbocharge it. Everything discussed only pertains to someone whose power goals do not exceed the limits of the stock engine internals of a 1ZZ.

The first file, MR2 Spyder Turbo Options.Docx, is a word file containing a write-up of what I have learned during my research. Please note that I am not an expert. I am not even close to being an expert. I am just one step above a total moron, actually, and even that is debatable. This is just what I have found around the Internet and here on Spyderchat. Take it with a grain of salt and do your own research. In the document, I give a brief summary of the issues with turbocharging a Spyder, and then summarize what is known about the two commercially available kits. The document is meant to be an objective look at both kits based solely on Internet research. I hope that some folks who own these kits will chip in their two cents, in which case I will very happily add it.

The second two files, the parts breakdown spreadsheets, contain a detailed list of all the parts I have found might be necessary to successfully and safely turbocharge a Spyder. There are spreadsheets for both the Turbokits.com BLF and the Monkey Wrench Racing turbo kits. I have included vendors and prices. Some of these prices are taken from estimates I received from local shops, so keep in mind that they may vary.

What this is not: This is not a guide to turbocharging. This is not comprehensive or foolproof. This does not contain ANY first-hand information. Once again, it should be taken with a grain of salt, as the information is compiled from the Internet, so it may not all be accurate.

If you find any errors, missing information, or flat-out dead wrong information, please let me know so I can correct it. Also, if I talked to you about this stuff by e-mail or PMs or you see information from one of your threads and I have not credited you, please let me know so I can do so. Also, please note that, while I drew heavily from more experienced minds both here and elsewhere, those individuals did not write this, so if I have bad info in any of these files, it is not their fault.

Thanks again to all of you who in some way have helped me find answers for my project, and I hope this proves helpful to some of you guys and girls who are headed in the same direction. If it is all wrong, then hopefully the mods will delete it :lol:

UPDATED LINK TO V. 1.4 on 5/10

MR2 Spyder Turbo Options, v 1.4
-Wes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The link sends me to google drive's homepage.
I just added a link for Divshare, as I just discovered Google requires you have a Google Account to access the files.

I actually need to add your name in there, as I referenced the AEM methanol/water injection failure you mentioned in Turbokits.com's thread. If you get a chance, can you PM me the details of what happened with that so I can add more detail?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks Wes, this has made life alot easier :bow: iv been searching turbo kits for sometime myself, having all this info in one spot is great rather than going back and forth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am working on some edits, and will hopefully get some more first-hand reviews and observations soon. I will update the files once I have enough new stuff to justify it. For now, I have gone back and found links to some of the threads I found most helpful, and I will just post them here for now:

• Kingspyder’s threads:
o http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/index.php?/topic/1135-kingspyders-journey-for-elegance/
o http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/index.php?/topic/2442-finally-dynoed-this-thingagain/
• Marvin306’s Review of the MWR kit:
o http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...Wrench-Racing-1zz-Turbo-Kit-(Pics)&highlight=
• JMC’s review threads of the Turbokits.com kit:
o Thread 1: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?46207-New-TurboKits-Review!&highlight=
o Thread 2: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?48724-TurboKits-5k-mile-Review-w-pics&highlight=
• Turbokits.com’s thread in the Commercial section of Spyderchat:
o http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...Introducing-the-NEW-Black-Label-Fab-Turbo-Kit
• Mark Ferrera’s Turbokits.com Track-application review:
o http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?48233-MR2-Racing-modifications-TurboKits.com
• Threads with info on disconnecting the Intake Air Temperature from the MAF:
o http://vps2940.inmotionhosting.com/~spyder5/forums/showthread.php?7197-Turbo-IAT-Comparison
o http://vps2940.inmotionhosting.com/~spyder5/forums/showthread.php?34508-1ZZ-MAF-wiring
• The various J&S Safeguard threads on both forums
o http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/index.php?/topic/2287-js-safeguard-ordering/
o http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?41187-J-amp-S-Installation&highlight=J&S+Safeguard
o http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?22624-J-amp-S-Safeguard&highlight=J&S+Safeguard
• WTS’ extensive document on turbocharging, “Power Quest: An Enthusiasts’ Perspective”:
o http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?27384-Power-Quest-%96-An-Enthusiasts%92-Perspective

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words. I just uploaded a revised version. Other than the links, most of it is just slight rewordings and corrections.

The biggest changes are a revamped Introduction to Turbocharging and, more importantly, corrected information on the Turbokits.com kit. I was just made aware that Turbokits.com WILL provide a base map for either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ if you upgrade to a PFC when you purchase the kit, which means it does not really have a disadvantage on engine management when compared to the MWR kit. I also added some more information about the BLF turbo they use, and revised the section regarding methanol/water usage on long trips (if you are not in boost, you don't use meth, so it should not be a serious issue. I also forgot that you can use windshield wiper fluid in a pinch).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, you would never really be "STUCK" if you ran out of water/meth mix. You would just be limited to OFF Boost driving. Thanks for the time you have taken to put this all together. It is very thorough and has tons of useful info!

Thanks for the kind words. I just uploaded a revised version. Other than the links, most of it is just slight rewordings and corrections.

The biggest changes are a revamped Introduction to Turbocharging and, more importantly, corrected information on the Turbokits.com kit. I was just made aware that Turbokits.com WILL provide a base map for either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ if you upgrade to a PFC when you purchase the kit, which means it does not really have a disadvantage on engine management when compared to the MWR kit. I also added some more information about the BLF turbo they use, and revised the section regarding methanol/water usage on long trips (if you are not in boost, you don't use meth, so it should not be a serious issue. I also forgot that you can use windshield wiper fluid in a pinch).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made more changes. Most importantly, I have added in some information from MWR addressing some of the concerns with their kit. Notably, I fixed a mistake regarding the PFC (the PFC DOES monitor knock, it just doesn't do anything about it besides flash the CEL) and added their comments about the measures they take to combat heat soak with the A2A intercooler. I also added a blurb in the Introduction about their high-end, tubular manifold, external wastegate kit. I am not going to do a full write up on it since it has very limited benefits for a stock-internal 1ZZ Spyder, and the kit itself is otherwise similar in setup and included parts to their normal GT28XX kit. We are on v. 1.4 now.

I also added a section on competition with a turbocharged Spyder. I would love the help of some of you guys that are more experienced with the autocross and time trials series in vetting this. I looked through the rule books for NASA and SCCA, but they are tough to follow at times. I am copying the information below so you don't have to download the whole thing:

Competing in Motorsports with a Turbocharged MR2 Spyder
Turbocharging, being a major modification to your car, will wreak havoc on your classing in most of the major grassroots motorsports series, such as autocross and time trials. Some modifications, such as methanol/water injection, could compromise your ability to enter events at all.

If competition is important to you, be sure to check with your sanctioning body and local clubs before making any plans to turbocharge your Spyder. The idea of this section is to give you some rough guidelines of what to expect. It is not gospel, and it is not necessarily current. If you plan to compete with a turbocharged Spyder, it is critically important that you confirm with your sanctioning body or club that the car will be allowed to compete in the class you think it should. This is also important if you plan to participate in High Performance Driving Events, even if you don’t intend to enter in classed competition. Do not spend thousands of dollars preparing a car only to find out it will not even be allowed on the track!

Even if the rules prohibit your planned modifications, try asking your local clubs where they stand. Some clubs will let you compete in a different class than you should be assigned or will let you enter the event , but disqualify your timing. Obviously, this does not apply for national competition.

NASA Auto-X: Turbocharged cars can compete, but must be reclassed with a recognized dyno by NASA. Water injection is allowed, but methanol/water injection is prohibited.

NASA Time Trials: Turbocharged cars can compete, but must be reclassed with a recognized dyno by NASA. Water injection, but not methanol/water injection, is allowed in classes TTF-TTA. Methanol/water injection is allowed in TTS. Spyders in TTS are unlikely to be competitive without serious modification, including a built engine.

SCCA Solo/Prosolo: Turbocharged cars can compete, but will be placed in a Street Modified class, where they may be uncompetitive without serious modification. Water injection is allowed, but methanol/water injection is prohibited.

SIDE NOTE: I read the rules for the respective series to the best of my ability, but I am not a rules expert, and the rules are not always crystal clear, particularly on methanol/water 50/50 mixture injection. In particular, the wording I am citing in most of the rulebooks states that alcohol injection is prohibited. I am assuming methanol, in any proportion, is included in this ban. I could have it wrong. Do your homework.
Is there anything else people would like to see covered?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I made more changes. Most importantly, I have added in some information from MWR addressing some of the concerns with their kit. Notably, I fixed a mistake regarding the PFC (the PFC DOES monitor knock, it just doesn't do anything about it besides flash the CEL) and added their comments about the measures they take to combat heat soak with the A2A intercooler. I also added a blurb in the Introduction about their high-end, tubular manifold, external wastegate kit. I am not going to do a full write up on it since it has very limited benefits for a stock-internal 1ZZ Spyder, and the kit itself is otherwise similar in setup and included parts to their normal GT28XX kit. We are on v. 1.4 now.

I also added a section on competition with a turbocharged Spyder. I would love the help of some of you guys that are more experienced with the autocross and time trials series in vetting this. I looked through the rule books for NASA and SCCA, but they are tough to follow at times. I am copying the information below so you don't have to download the whole thing:

Is there anything else people would like to see covered?
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if you mentioned us as an option ;)

Also theres a pretty good turbo FAQ we developed over on NewCelica.org (I post as Boosted2.0 over there) that I could get you a link for if you like. The model specific stuff doesn't carry over, but there is a lot of good general info and common sense in that thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts