MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share a few images from across the pond of the ipod dock I installed over the weekend.

I was looking for a dock as I'd just installed a new Kenwood DPX404U headunit w/ ipod control. I picked up a 120gb classic from a work colleague, the biggest capacity compatible with the unit but couldn't find a mount that I liked, so decided to build one into the ashtray.

I started with this...

... and ended up with this...

Here's a link to a video of it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehyMy1qtitw

I'm happy with it for a first attempt!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does your head unit control the iPod? if not that screen look to be hard to see.

does the iPod hook up from the bottom or are you using the headphone jack?
Yes, it has full iPod control. The iPod has a faulty screen, which i didnt need so got it for next to nothing. The iPod is connected to the front of the headunit through the rear of the centre console, the connector is the only thing you can see. If I'd have had the funds I would have gone for a unit with a rear connector, but I couldn't justify the extra cost

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
gonna disagree with the crowd, i'm not a fan of the look but i do respect the functionality and creativity. no cord hanging out is nice and clean, but something about an ipod sticking at an awkward angle of an ash tray isn't my cup of tea. all in all good set up though, i like the plug and play function. and i almost bought the same exact head unit, good job on the simple set up. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gonna disagree with the crowd, i'm not a fan of the look but i do respect the functionality and creativity. no cord hanging out is nice and clean, but something about an ipod sticking at an awkward angle of an ash tray isn't my cup of tea. all in all good set up though, i like the plug and play function. and i almost bought the same exact head unit, good job on the simple set up. :icon_thumright:
Harsh... Harsh but fair! I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be such an angle. I removed the ashtray, did the work then replaced it. Slipped my mind about the angle it opens on as most of the time it was sat on the it's base, which is flat. So the iPod was upright... Yes, it's a nice headunit.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Slipped my mind about the angle it opens on as most of the time it was sat on the it's base, which is flat. So the iPod was upright... Yes, it's a nice headunit.
ahh now getting it to stand upright, in my mind that looks like a cool mod. I would be interested in doing it myself if it could be done that way

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Not bad. If you don't need the screen, I think you could also work it in the the cupholder, horizontally that is. That way you could keep the function of one cupholder, and the ashtray.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahh now getting it to stand upright, in my mind that looks like a cool mod. I would be interested in doing it myself if it could be done that way
It sits that way due to the angle I cut the foam insert, you could easily cut the foam so that the ipod sits fairly flush to the front panel of the ashtray, the only issue would be hiding the cable with it being so close to the front and the small metal bar that the ashtray pivots on. It worked for me because of the screen not working and the ipod control, so to me its basically a hard drive.

Thanks, I'm genuinely greatful for the positive comments

Would be nice to have another go though!...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
did you just run the chord behind the head unit to come from under the ash tray?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts